Texas Fishing Forum

Disposing of dog carcass?

Posted By: Stump jumper

Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 11:14 AM

I have always buried my dogs when they pass. My son's 16 year old mutt is about to pass on. No way to get him to the vet. I have to dig left handed due to having had foot surgery. Not very good digging that way. Not what I want to do but are there rules against putting carcass in the trash can?
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 11:18 AM

You might call and see if they do a special pickup, some places do.

A mobile vet will do it also
Posted By: AmpedUp

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 12:20 PM

we had ours cremated but that was for our own benefit
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 12:36 PM

DO you mean you can't get him to vet to be put down or to dispose of the body? When our German Shepard passed last year we took her body to the vet's and they have someone who comes and picks them up. I had a buddy who called the city's animal control and they came and got his dogs body.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 12:40 PM

Just put it in a bag and freeze it until trash day. Drop it in the dumpster, and nobody will ever know the difference.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 01:15 PM

Unbeleivable
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: WAWI
Unbeleivable

Kinda what I thought. huh
Posted By: jjfox09

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 01:29 PM

Do you have room on your property to bury him? I'll be out that way Sunday if you want me to dig a hole for you. Shoot me a pm.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 01:36 PM

I don't believe there is an actual law against trashcanning a dead pet, but I believe there is a "moral" law we might choose to follow, especially good pet owners.

If you are stumped as to what can be done, ask a neighbor or buddy to help dig or for a ride to the vet. It can't be that hard to ask for a favor. When our 4-legged friends die, family, friends and neighbor acquaintances are always sympathetic/empathetic.

...------
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 01:39 PM

our yard is so rocky i was barely able to bury our Yorkie. took my lab to the vet for cremation.
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 01:42 PM

Disturbing for sure, if you can't physically bury the dog yourself surely you can find someone who can, I could never just discard one of my dogs in the trash, and freeze it till trash day? Cmon man
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 01:43 PM

Was that all the dog was to your son?
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 01:46 PM

I’m pretty sure most cities have ordinances against animal carcasses in the trash cans. Different people view animals in different ways. i bury ours that die.

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigbob_FTW
our yard is so rocky i was barely able to bury our Yorkie. took my lab to the vet for cremation.

That's the reason I took our German Shepard's body to the VET. They gave us option to have her cremated and returned to us, but we passed. It was already hard on our daughter, to have ashes to deal with would have made it worse.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 01:55 PM

Man dont throw the dog in the trash. I am no bleeding heart but I have a dog and that just aint right. Throwing it in the trash.

If you need help and can wait till Saturday I can dig a grave for the animal. Just shoot me a PM. Even have a shovel.
Posted By: 1ShotNoKills

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 01:58 PM

Threw my dog in the trash. Never looked back.

City told me my options were calling a vet and paying or using my normal trash can for pickup day.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: jbobo
I’m pretty sure most cities have ordinances against animal carcasses in the trash cans. Different people view animals in different ways. i bury ours that die.

Do you cheat and use the back hoe? bolt
Posted By: Cast

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 02:04 PM

I can't believe the disrespectful attitudes displayed by a few towards their best friends. I can show you where every one of our dogs are buried and trust me, their graves are tear stained.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 02:06 PM

I've buried every one of our pets over the last fifteen years after that final trip to the vet. Prior to that, I would just let the vet dispose of them after they were gone. Come to think of it, I've even buried a stray cat that was hit by a car on our street.

Surely there's some TFFers nearby who can help you with this?

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 02:14 PM

Saturday?
I can help dig if needed.

Mr. StumpJumper,
You are in Rockwall, I'm in Richardson, and there are probably other forum members closer to you, but one or several people would probably come lend a hand and a shovel.

Let us know...IN65

...------
Posted By: Jacob

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 02:15 PM

We buried all of our animals including horses. I bet if you asked your neighbor, they'd be happy to help. Buried several for my neighbors.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 02:19 PM

oooh that reminds me I have a catfish carcass in the freezer and it's trash day.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 02:24 PM

1. Go to nextdoor.com after the dog dies
2. Post on there that a dog died in your backyard and you are physically unable to bury it.
3. Rub some onions under your eyes and take a selfie of your saddest cry face and post it.
4. In a few minutes, a team of animal lovers, and I do mean 'lovers' will come by to dig and bury it.
5. They may even arrange an embalming and wake at a local funeral parlor, casket and full burial ceremony.
6. Problem solved.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 02:32 PM

Bogey, the best dog I've ever had, had to be taken to the vet to be put to sleep on Tuesday. I cried like a baby. The vet gave me the option of sending the ashes or a paw print. I chose the paw print. Hardest day I've had in a while.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 02:40 PM

If not buried or cremated your vet will put down and place in dumpster anyway. Then to the land fill.

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 02:41 PM

Yes, the sad part is that dogs left at the vet, "not" cremated, will be in a landfill

Blessings to Mr. Stump Jumper and to Mr. Bogey for what their families are currently experiencing.

...------
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 02:44 PM

Taxidermist, have it forever
Posted By: Arkansas10 bass

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 02:49 PM

JSMDH !
Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 02:54 PM

Posted By: TheDuck

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 02:59 PM

Does your son know how to use a shovel?
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 03:09 PM

shovel and whiskey
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: WAWI
Unbeleivable
no chit!

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: bogey♂
Bogey, the best dog I've ever had, had to be taken to the vet to be put to sleep on Tuesday. I cried like a baby. The vet gave me the option of sending the ashes or a paw print. I chose the paw print. Hardest day I've had in a while.

I am sorry for your lose. I am sure he was a great dog and a its really almost like losing a human friend. It can be tough.

It is cool you named yourself after the dog!

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: 6BOOMER
If not buried or cremated your vet will put down and place in dumpster anyway. Then to the land fill.

Depends on the vet. Our vet has someone who comes by and does a cremation of all the animals put down (or dropped off in our case). Or you can have your pet cremated on it's own and the ashes returned to you.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 05:34 PM

Where’s the guy that drowns coons in a barrell when u need him roflmao
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 05:39 PM

put him in the middle of the street night.
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 05:49 PM

The dead dog doesn't care what you do.

You have several offers to help. Take them up on it.

There are also mobile vet services. You may want to go ahead and put the dog down.

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: jjfox09
Do you have room on your property to bury him? I'll be out that way Sunday if you want me to dig a hole for you. Shoot me a pm.
plenty, 1+ acres. Thanks for the offer. I have neighbors to help and son if I can get him away from his GF for a few minutes. Spot is already picked out. I was just thinking about the trash because today is trash day. As far as getting to the vet. It is no problem getting there it is getting the dog loaded up. 2 weeks after I buried my Lab we had a late cold front and the north wind blew the scent over the pasture behind my yard. The coyotes found her and dug her up. For a couple of nights I was wondering why the mutt was carrying on at the back gate.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump jumper
plenty, 1+ acres. Spot is already picked out. I was just thinking about the trash because today is trash day. As far as getting to the vet. It is no problem getting there it is getting the dog loaded up. 2 weeks after I buried my Lab we had a late cold front and the north wind blew the scent over the pasture behind my yard. The coyotes found her and dug her up. For a couple of nights I was wondering why the mutt was carrying on at the back gate.
sposed to sprinkle something over it can’t remember what it’s called it’s a white dust yotes won’t dig it up
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Nickbyrd
plenty, 1+ acres. Spot is already picked out. I was just thinking about the trash because today is trash day. As far as getting to the vet. It is no problem getting there it is getting the dog loaded up. 2 weeks after I buried my Lab we had a late cold front and the north wind blew the scent over the pasture behind my yard. The coyotes found her and dug her up. For a couple of nights I was wondering why the mutt was carrying on at the back gate.
sposed to sprinkle something over it can’t remember what it’s called it’s a white dust yotes won’t dig it up

lime powder / Calcium hydroxide

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 06:23 PM

I'd surmise when the time comes, you will instruct your son to help with burial necessities despite the chance he might need prying away from some girl.

Blessings to the "mutt." If the dog's name has been mentioned, I missed it.

Did he pass? You said he's about "to pass on."

He may live several more days, or did it happen.

...------

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: TheDuck
Does your son know how to use a shovel?
using one is not a problem but getting him home and away from his GF long enough is. I told him last winter where to dig the hole. The dog made it another year. His mind is sound and he is almost deaf but his hind legs are failing him. He has lived well past the average for a dog of his size and breeds.
Posted By: jjfox09

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 08:12 PM

Call the police and tell them you know where a body is buried. You will have a hole dug in no time free of charge.

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 09:03 PM

As long as it's legal there's nothing wrong with disposing of a dead dog in a garbage if that's what you want to do. Others may think it's wrong as expressed above but it's really up to you. The dog could care less now.
Posted By: soggybottom

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 09:12 PM

burn it?
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 09:25 PM

I had my cat put down last week at the vet in Rusk, that I had never used before and let them handle the disposal. I didn't care for the ashes as I just wanted it over with. Just opening the mail as I'm reading this post and get a card from vet's office. I couldn't believe that 12 different employees of the office wrote a personal note on the card. Glad I chose to do it the way I did now as I didn't stick around while it was being done.

Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 10:09 PM

Call in an anonymous tip to the cops telling them there's a body buried in your back yard. They'll come and do the digging for you; problem solved.
Posted By: Devil Horse

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 11:07 PM

looks like your sons 16 year old mutt would deserve better than you just throwing it in a trash can. Hell pay a neighborhood kid $5 or so bucks to dig a hole.
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/07/17 11:55 PM

Wawi is needing to season his smoker
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/08/17 12:53 AM

Sounds like you were not tight with the dog. My boxer dogs get a spot on the back 10 ... with companions. They were great friends. Dig a deep hole. No way I would throw a dog in the trash. To answer the question.... I have a dumpster at my place.... dead animals are a no no. If it was... these dirt lappers out here would be throwing dead horses in a dumpster.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/08/17 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: TCK73
Originally Posted By: jbobo

Do you cheat and use the back hoe? bolt

No I used a shovel on ours.
But I have dug many holes for others to bury their animals with the backhoe.

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/11/17 12:54 AM

Thanks for all the offers to help. Son dig the hole Saturday after I started with an outline. At my house I have to bury them deep or the coyotes will dig up the carcass. After I washed my truck I went out to check his progress. Until then I had completely forgot that he was in a walking boot with 3 broke toes. Buried Goliath this morning. I lost the best watchdog I ever had. He lived much longer than most large breeds but still tough.

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/11/17 01:59 AM

RIP
Posted By: Frank I

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/11/17 02:07 AM

Buried Goliath this morning. I lost the best watchdog I ever had. He lived much longer than most large breeds but still tough.

And to think you even considered a trash can, WTH. Some people.......
Posted By: Davedave

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/11/17 02:10 AM

Growing up, I didn’t realize until I was about thirteen that chunking our dead pets off the bridge as we drove over the lake was considered abnormal.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/11/17 06:17 PM

loco

Re: Disposing of dog carcass? - 12/11/17 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Davedave
Growing up, I didn’t realize until I was about thirteen that chunking our dead pets off the bridge as we drove over the lake was considered abnormal.

This explains much... oh so much.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum