Texas Fishing Forum

Replacing Your PFD?

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Replacing Your PFD? - 09/20/17 03:06 PM

My PFD is about 8 years old now.

I took a dip in it and was not too impressed with the level of flotation it was providing.

It looks to be in good shape still, but do they break down over time?

When do you know you need a new one? Do they have an expiration date?
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 09/20/17 03:09 PM

The flotation foam inside probably slowly dries out and deteriorates. Most of them have about 16 lbs of buoyancy, so tie a bowling ball to it, drop it in the water, and see what happens.
Posted By: BayouFennec

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 09/20/17 08:16 PM

expiration date usually falls around Christmas or Father's Day at my house

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 09/20/17 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Bayou_Fennec
expiration date usually falls around Christmas or Father's Day at my house

roflmao
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 09/22/17 11:16 PM

It doesn't need to float you, only keep you legal. bolt
Posted By: Floon Swenson

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 09/25/17 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

I took a dip in it and was not too impressed with the level of flotation it was providing.

Along with losing buoyancy, have you noticed anything like the straps that you use to cinch it up are shrinking a little every year?
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 09/26/17 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: lconn4
It doesn't need to float you, only keep you legal. bolt

Yeah, that's not true.

Originally Posted By: Code of Federal Regulations
Title 33 § 175.21
Condition; size and fit; approval marking

No person may use a recreational boat unless each PFD required by § 175.15 of this part or allowed by § 175.17 of this part is:
(a) In serviceable condition as provided in § 175.23;
(b) Of an appropriate size and fit for the intended wearer, as marked on the approval label; and
(c) Legibly marked with its approval number, as specified in 46 CFR part 160.

and
Originally Posted By: Code of Federal Regulations
Title 33 § 175.23
Serviceable condition

A PFD is considered to be in serviceable condition for purposes of § 175.21(a) only if the following conditions are met:
(a) No PFD may exhibit deterioration that could diminish the performance of the PFD, including—
(1) Metal or plastic hardware used to secure the PFD on the wearer that is broken, deformed, or weakened by corrosion;
(2) Webbings or straps used to secure the PFD on the wearer that are ripped, torn, or which have become separated from an attachment point on the PFD; or
(3) Any other rotted or deteriorated structural component that fails when tugged.
(b) In addition to meeting the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, no inherently buoyant PFD, including the inherently buoyant components of a hybrid inflatable PFD, may exhibit—
(1) Rips, tears, or open seams in fabric or coatings, that are large enough to allow the loss of buoyant material;
(2) Buoyant material that has become hardened, non-resilient, permanently compressed, waterlogged, oil-soaked, or which shows evidence of fungus or mildew; or
(3) Loss of buoyant material or buoyant material that is not securely held in position.
(c) In addition to meeting the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, an inflatable PFD, including the inflatable components of a hybrid inflatable PFD, must be equipped with—
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, a properly armed inflation mechanism, complete with a full inflation medium cartridge and all status indicators showing that the inflation mechanism is properly armed;
(2) Inflatable chambers that are all capable of holding air;
(3) Oral inflation tubes that are not blocked, detached, or broken;
(4) A manual inflation lanyard or lever that is not inaccessible, broken, or missing; and
(5) Inflator status indicators that are not broken or otherwise non-functional.
(d) The inflation system of an inflatable PFD need not be armed when the PFD is worn inflated and otherwise meets the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (c) of this section.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 09/26/17 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Floon Swenson

Along with losing buoyancy, have you noticed anything like the straps that you use to cinch it up are shrinking a little every year?

roflmao
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 09/26/17 04:07 PM

My pfd is 3 years old and im going to get a new one this fall. Why take any unnecessary risks. I think there are a lot of better more exciting ways to risk your life.

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 09/28/17 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: christian myrick
My pfd is 3 years old and im going to get a new one this fall. Why take any unnecessary risks. I think there are a lot of better more exciting ways to risk your life.

I tend to agree. I will get a new one soon here.

It still looks in good shape but to your point, I would hate to be in a bad situation and not have my PFD to be in top shape.
Posted By: C.M.

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 09/28/17 11:33 PM

I always buy a new pfd every time I go fishing. It is very irresponsible to reuse them -- you literally don't know when they could give up on you!
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 09/29/17 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: C.M.
I always buy a new pfd every time I go fishing. It is very irresponsible to reuse them -- you literally don't know when they could give up on you!

personal flotation device or personal fishing drawers? hmmm
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 09/29/17 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Floon Swenson

LOL

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 10/19/17 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: C.M.

Hmmm good point.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 10/23/17 01:00 PM

Definately the most important piece of gear u will own when yak fishing. Spend a lil extra $ on a nice 1 that u will actually wear and wear it. Good ones allow a yak angler range of movement won't rub u raw and will save your life if u ever need it to. Fish long enough and u will know exactly what I'm talking about. Lots of options on the market these days ;-)

Dan, have u got your eyes on any certain ones yet? MARINER SAILS stock a nice selection in many sizes. I've picked up a few there myself...

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 10/27/17 01:42 AM

Nope, none in particular.

The one I've got is a BPS model. Has lots of mesh so it's not too hot. It's comfy enough. I wear it 90% of the time. In shallow, calm, warm water with a buddy I have taken it off on really hot days.

Any models anyone would suggest.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 10/27/17 11:36 AM

In shallow, calm, warm water with a buddy I have taken it off on really hot days.

eek2 bolt

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 10/27/17 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx

In shallow, calm, warm water with a buddy I have taken it off on really hot days.

eek2 bolt

Oh yeah... you know what I am talkin about buddy. I be taking it ALL off on those hot days with my buddies... you been there.

HA HA

Ok back to life vests suggestions lol. Lets be serious here. This is not a joking matter.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 10/28/17 01:10 PM

Stohlquist MTI and NRS all make some nice ones IMO.
Ascend is bass pros brand. West Marine also has 1 descent inexpensive one.
Dicks has the onyx. Have seen very few vest at academy for yak anglers. They do have paddlers vest but I wasn't to impresses with their stock :-/

The 1st 3 I mention I know I can trust
Posted By: Pecros

Re: Replacing Your PFD? - 10/28/17 10:02 PM

If you buy an Astral PFD, they will replace the foam for a $12 shipping charge. Or at least that used to be the case.

"This is a great question! We recommend approximately 300 days on the water, or 5 years; whichever comes first. At this time it might be good to examine your jacket to see what kind of shape it is in. If you feel that it could use some new foam, please contact us and we will re-stuff the jacket for only a $12 return shipping charge. At this point you may be able to get another season out of it.

You will want to make sure to check the outer shell of the jacket, for any spots that have been/are beginning to wear out. To maximize the life of your PFD, try out some of the care tips below that we recommend:

-Do your best to thoroughly dry your jacket after use
-Do not keep you jacket in direct sun for long periods of time
-Avoid unnecessary compression of your PFD…like cramming it into a small storage container when you are not using it.
-Do not store the jacket in extremely cold or hot spaces
-You can scrub some of the dirt out of the shell by using a small nylon bristle brush and some gentle detergent. Rinse the jacket and hang to dry.
I hope this information is helpful! But if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Thank you,
-Margie Matthai "
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum