Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie under bridges?

Posted By: spazm09

Crappie under bridges? - 07/21/17 05:02 PM

Anyone fished any bridges for crappie lately? Was thinking about trying out a bridge on fork.
Posted By: Jaustin

Re: Crappie under bridges? - 07/21/17 05:45 PM

I'm in oklahoma but that's about the only place I'm catching them since the hot weather set in. I'm still getting a few nice ones but about 12 to 15 feet deep. Got about half a dozen decent ones yesterday evening.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Crappie under bridges? - 07/21/17 09:18 PM

Tried at Hubbard creek the other day. Nothing and it was a pain to get into position then move to the next pillar. There was nothing to tie to so had to anchor upwind and try to drift into position.
Posted By: Carver

Re: Crappie under bridges? - 07/25/17 01:06 PM

If you have columns over 16'-18' deep you have a good chance of picking a few off. Don't discount that they might be shallow for a while also. When the light is low very early and late they will rise into the warm surface water for a quick meal. Standing timber in deep water also works the same.

Normally I tight line, but when fighting wind, even in my Hobie which holds position well, I often change to a slip cork so I can cast to the pillar and drift by it with the bait as close as possible to the concrete. If I am 12" or more away, I try to improve my position. I cast so my bait settles in the light and drifts by the edge into the shadow. Travelling a fair bit, I have almost always done OK even on strange lakes.

Tight lines, Phill
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum