Texas Fishing Forum

East fork trinity river b/w ray Hubbard and lavon?

Posted By: DARC8man

East fork trinity river b/w ray Hubbard and lavon? - 06/28/17 07:41 PM

Thinking of going from lavon to ray Hubbard in my canoe does anyone know if it is good fishing this time of the year through there?

Re: East fork trinity river b/w ray Hubbard and lavon? - 06/28/17 08:01 PM

Or any other place suggestions for this weekend would be appreciated thanks.
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: East fork trinity river b/w ray Hubbard and lavon? - 06/29/17 10:32 AM

I would stay within the first mile or so of river below Lavon. You will avoid boat traffic, and there are plenty of fish up there. I haven't been in a while, but the first mile had lots of tree cover over the river, which made the trip quite pleasant and scenic. The first time I fished there, I paddled down stream for about a mile and a half looking for deeper water (RH was pretty low at the time), and got to a tree across the river that I decided not to cross. I turned around and started fishing and caught bass until I quit fishing. That hooked me on the area.
Posted By: Palomar Knot

Re: East fork trinity river b/w ray Hubbard and lavon? - 06/29/17 06:49 PM

I am actually looking into doing that too? Where would you drop off the kayak? Around 78 & trinity river?

Re: East fork trinity river b/w ray Hubbard and lavon? - 06/29/17 07:22 PM

I'm not sure if it's possible or legal to park under 78 there but there is a parking lot on the river side right next to the dam at lavon. Thanks for the tips bass art!

Re: East fork trinity river b/w ray Hubbard and lavon? - 06/30/17 01:27 AM

Huhm... i thought that parking lot is currently closed... i might be wrong, last I check was several weeks ago.

Re: East fork trinity river b/w ray Hubbard and lavon? - 06/30/17 01:34 AM

O I didnt know it might be closed?!? Well it it ok to park under 78 there?
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: East fork trinity river b/w ray Hubbard and lavon? - 06/30/17 01:19 PM

I believe the area by the dam has been reopened, but it is a steep path to get down to the river with a kayak, and back up.

Re: East fork trinity river b/w ray Hubbard and lavon? - 07/01/17 03:36 AM

Confirmed, it has been reopened (i dont know since when). Got there this evening and didnt catch anything after half an hour with rooster tail. Brought my kayak but I couldnt haul it myself down the slope without a cart, though.

Wil lbe back tomorrow with Magellan cart and we'll see.
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: East fork trinity river b/w ray Hubbard and lavon? - 07/04/17 01:41 PM

With all the rain it will be muddy banks and muddy water. I wouldn't try to luanch at 78 after the rains it will be super muddy down there. All the dirt work from building the new bridge. Also do not launch there if they are releasing water from the dam its pretty dangerous. I would wait for drier days as it will also let the river clear up a little more and the fishing will be better.

Re: East fork trinity river b/w ray Hubbard and lavon? - 07/11/17 05:39 AM

Went there three times in the last two weeks. Lots of gars and carps on the surface. I caught and released some small catfish as well. Unfortunately no bass to be hooked up :-/ It is quite a workout hauling (tried both over my shoulder and using a cart) from the parking lot up/down those steps. Definitely bring a friend (and a kayak for him/her too! lol).
Posted By: bert

Re: East fork trinity river b/w ray Hubbard and lavon? - 07/11/17 12:04 PM

Careful launching below the dam, there is a caulker dam under the bridge that makes it really dangerous if there is a gate open. That is why most launch by 78 and fish that section. Another note, there have been herds of wild hogs spotted in that river bottom below 78 so be aware of them too.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum