Texas Fishing Forum

Pedal Kayak on the Brazos

Posted By: FrogBomber

Pedal Kayak on the Brazos - 06/26/17 07:22 PM

Can you run a pedal kayak on the Brazos or would the drive hang to low and drag on everything. I would be starting below Whitney Dam and going to Waco
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Peddle Kayak on the Brazos - 06/26/17 07:51 PM

Have you heard of the releases below Whitney? It can be pretty bad and I'm not sure how pedals will perform in high current.

Brazos is made of pools and rapids when not releasing. You'll be ok in the pools but there can be a lot of dragging through the rapids. Plus the pools get shallow a good ways before and after the rapids. It can be done but on average you'll paddle more than pedal IMO.

Re: Peddle Kayak on the Brazos - 06/26/17 08:04 PM

This is an old story but lets you know what is going on below Whitney. I've been on it when they released and it was not fun at all. I'm a very experienced paddler and was paddling as fast and hard as I could and was not moving up stream at all. It caused the water to rise into the trees limiting bank access to stop and rest. I suggest if you want to do a Brazos trip go below PK.

Re: Peddle Kayak on the Brazos - 06/26/17 08:14 PM

thank you for the info I will look into that
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Peddle Kayak on the Brazos - 06/26/17 09:00 PM

Mirage drive or a pedal prop drive?
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Peddle Kayak on the Brazos - 06/27/17 04:18 AM

I have a Hobie Pro Angler 12 and bought a $400 Peception Pescador 12.0 to fish the Brazos below Whitney. I justified it by saying the Pescador is the kid's kayak when we are fishing local lakes. You could fish a pedal kayak on the Brazos but there is a high likelyhood of trashing the pedal drive. You will spend at least half your time in paddle mode and the Pro Angler paddles like a pig.

Re: Peddle Kayak on the Brazos - 06/28/17 01:33 AM

It would be a prop drive I'm thinking of trading my feel free in for a titan. But I was wanting to do some camping trips on the Brazos
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Peddle Kayak on the Brazos - 06/28/17 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By: FrogBomber
It would be a prop drive I'm thinking of trading my feel free in for a titan. But I was wanting to do some camping trips on the Brazos

I don't know anything about the Brazos below Whitney but I wouldn't want to mess with a Titan below PK at all. That thing is ridiculous big.
Posted By: Crankalot

Re: Peddle Kayak on the Brazos - 06/28/17 01:09 PM

Pedal

Re: Peddle Kayak on the Brazos - 06/28/17 08:11 PM

Re: Peddle Kayak on the Brazos - 06/28/17 09:47 PM

I fixed my spelling so you can breathe easy
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Peddle Kayak on the Brazos - 06/29/17 12:05 AM

I have taken my Hobie Mirage Outback out on the Brazos below PK many times. The mirage driven can be kicked up against the hull if you're going shallow or quickly taken out if you going very shallow. Having the pedal drive is nice in the deep holes.
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Peddle Kayak on the Brazos - 07/04/17 05:11 PM

Believe it or not, I have begun to see more and more pedal yaks on the middle Brazos lately. I personally would not use mine down there, but I have both paddle and pedal, so I have options. The water release issue not withstanding, the middle Brazos has more deep pools than the upper, so there's that. Also, with the recent releases a lot of the grass/moss has been washed away (although it will always has some grass you will have to deal with). But as mentioned before here, you have to be willing to ride the release down to Dicks should they start generating on you (or hard slog it back to the dam).
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum