Texas Fishing Forum

WS Commander 120 Trolling Motor Recommendations

Posted By: Aggie61

WS Commander 120 Trolling Motor Recommendations - 06/18/17 11:09 PM

Was wanting to purchase a trolling motor for my Commander 120. Anyone have any recommendations for a trolling motor for a Commander.
Thanks
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: WS Commander 120 Trolling Motor Recommendations - 06/18/17 11:23 PM

What is nice about the Commander is you already have a transom. You only need to install the block that is made for it or you can make your own block out of wood if you are a do it yourselfer.
Just about any transom mount TM will work with some modifications such as hooking up the cables as you would rigging a rudder and using the foot pedals for steering, or use a control handle extension, but that limits having anything sticking up such as rod holders on the crate.
I cut down the shaft and rigged up an old 30# thrust motor I had lying around.
The hardest part is already done when they designed the Commander with a transom.

Re: WS Commander 120 Trolling Motor Recommendations - 06/18/17 11:44 PM

Probably going to purchase TM from WS, any particular brand more reliable than others? Recommendations for Battery?

Re: WS Commander 120 Trolling Motor Recommendations - 06/24/17 02:25 AM

Looking at the BassYak and Torqeedo options for the Commander 120, Torqeedo expensive but small foot print and total weight with Lithium battery 15 lbs. $1,700 for kit. BassYak looks like good option as well but cost does not include battery, which could add 50# inside commander. Anyone have any experience with either one of those set ups.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: WS Commander 120 Trolling Motor Recommendations - 06/24/17 02:45 AM

Don't know if this is normal, but a friend had a Torqueedo rigged on his Raptor. He was plagued by battery problems the whole time he had it (and replacement battery cost is guaranteed to cause cardiac arrest), and they always want you to send the whole unit in to them along with the battery for testing when there is a problem. After a while he got tired of dumping money into an unreliable system that was always in the shop, and bought a SoloSkiff.

I have no idea if he just got a lemon, or if they are all like that. Might research it before investing in a Torqueedo, just to be safe.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum