Texas Fishing Forum

Securing kayak

Posted By: tdbduckhunter

Securing kayak - 06/11/17 10:25 PM

What is the best way to secure kayak while traveling? Pictures would be awesome.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Securing kayak - 06/11/17 10:46 PM

What are you securing it to? Trailer, truck bed, truck bed extender, roof rack?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Securing kayak - 06/12/17 01:02 AM

Strong, highly visible deterrents. You want to make things look very difficult.

1. Alarm on vehicle and "The Club" on the steering wheel. (Walmart in the auto section)
2. Trailer hitch dogbone style lock (Walmart in the auto section)
3. Some thick chain (from Home Depot) and a padlock (Walmart tools section) securing the trailer to the vehicle
4. Multiple vinyl coated thick steel cables (Walmart tools section some in the bicycle section also) running through scuppers/etc and around the trailer metal bars secured with more padlocks.

Make sure the locks don't seize or you lose a key.
If you do, you might have to go to HD/Lowes for some bolt cutters. Don't ask me how I know this.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Securing kayak - 06/12/17 01:39 AM

You know, Yeti Cooler thefts would stop if some one left one outside, with about 100 ft. of 80-pound mono secured to the wall, and the other end attached to the pull pin on a hand grenade, inside the cooler. I'm not condoning this, but it would really slow down the thefts! Thieves suck!

You will never totally defeat determined thieves, but you can make it harder for them to take your stuff. Plastic-coated lifeline cable, as used on sailboats, is almost impossible to cut, without a mini-grinder with abrasive blade, or a very expensive cable(not bolt) cutter. Make a cable from that, with thimbles, and Nico-Press sleeves, and a quality padlock, and you can probably sleep sound. Run it through your scupper holes and around something strong, and you will probably never lose your stuff.

In the Caribbean, a battery-powered mini-grinder with cut-off wheel is called a Puerto Rican Master Key!

IslandJim
Posted By: C.M.

Re: Securing kayak - 06/12/17 02:14 AM

> I'm not condoning this, but it would really slow down the thefts!

Which forum accepts people that condone this? Asking for a friend...
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Securing kayak - 06/12/17 08:40 AM

Currently we use 2 x 30ft cable locks. We twist, tie knot and generally tangle the yaks up. Its a real pain in the rear. I hate theives.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Securing kayak - 06/12/17 12:50 PM

I use this when on the road: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Lock-3...70DCC/100343293
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: Securing kayak - 06/12/17 12:54 PM

Glock 40 cal. thumb

I use a cable lock through the scupper holes. A person can still cut them with bolt cutters. But for the average, target of opportunity thief it will detour them.
Posted By: Searsay

Re: Securing kayak - 06/12/17 02:09 PM

Cable lock through scupper holes or other riveted/permanent fixture on kayak. I also make sure they are well tied down and usually interconnected. For longer trips (overnights at hotels) I use two separate cable locks looped through everything on separate points.

They do sell tarp alarms that you could rig up to straps/cable locks as well - but i haven't felt those would make much of a difference.

Though I wouldn't do the below myself - since it is just as likely to tick the person off and they take it out on whatever is closest. I have seen people successfully modify prank electric shockers to run through cable locks. It's really hard to cut a cable when you keep getting shocked - and given kayak's non-conductive nature this would work particularly well on them.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Securing kayak - 06/12/17 02:50 PM

What makes kayaks so attractive to the opportunist thief is they can drive up next to it, cut the straps with a knife and throw it into their truck and speed away within seconds.
Any type of cable or locking device with deter the cut and grab thief, and make them go elsewhere.
Don't count on any cables and chains to prevent a theft with an overnight stay in a motel or parking lot, because they will have plenty of time to seek out bolt cutters.
Cables and chains are the best, but if a thief wants your kayak he will get it unless you can post someone to watch, rig an alarm or put the kayak in your room.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Securing kayak - 06/12/17 03:35 PM

Are you asking how you tie it down or keep somebody from steeling it?
Posted By: tdbduckhunter

Re: Securing kayak - 06/13/17 05:13 PM

I want to keep someone from stealing. It will be attached to a trailer. Thanks for the info and ideas.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Securing kayak - 06/13/17 05:32 PM

My bruh Collin County uses about 13 chains and pad locks he uses. One is like a 10 foot length of 3 inch thick straight up chain. He calls it the chain of trust.

Also he carries bolt cutters in case he loses a key, which happened at Falcon and he had to cut his own lock.

Lucky it was one of the thinner cable locks and not the chain of trust... that would have taken a while.

So yeah chains and bike locks, the more, the harder it will be get them all off for a thief. Best bet is see if you can get a ground floor room you can keep it in your room. That or get you a chain of trust... .or 13
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Securing kayak - 06/13/17 07:49 PM

I am eventually going to purchase a 14ft Cargo trailer for hauling my Kayaks and Equipment especially when I start traveling to different rivers and what throughout the state.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum