Texas Fishing Forum

New Kayaker: what do you wear?

Posted By: ConchoAdam

New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 01:28 AM

I'm new to the kayaking scene and am wondering what you guys wear? When it's hot? When it's cold? Raining? To protect your face? I'm hoping to fish all year round but obviously the cold weather on the water is a concern.

I hope to post more questions through out the forum so TIA for the help.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 01:47 AM

Hot, sunny weather--sunscreen, shorts, Columbia Drainmaker shoes, long-sleeve fishing shirt, hat with ear flaps and neck cover.
Cool weather--cargo pants, long-sleeve Columbia fishing shirt.
Cold weather--I'm inside.
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 01:53 AM

cold weather- silk long underwear, wool middle layer, breathable stocking footed waders, wool socks, water and wind proof jacket, wool stocking cap, and most important: PFD
note wool retains its ability to insulate heat even when wet.
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 02:19 AM

During the day, long sleeve UPF fishing shirt, and full length UPF fishing pants. Hat,sunglasses, and face shield. When you're white as me, you don't mess around with the Sun. It's intense on the water.

At night, I'll wear anything.
Posted By: The Leadbetter Legend

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 02:36 AM

Feb-March my buddy has a SOT chooses to wear waders.
I have a Sit In. Calf boots, jeans, (2) layers of
shirts, and Frogg Toggs bottoms & take off the
F/T jacket when the mornings warm up. Either get
an inflatable PFD or one with upper mesh. You
will generate lots of upper body heat & need
to have plenty of movement with your PDF.
Posted By: bert

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 01:44 PM

Upf pants and long sleeve shirt with buff sun gloves a good hat and sunscreen on anything that is exposed if it is sunny, I have seen skin cancer on both of my grandfathers and don't risk it.

Cooler/Cold weather I layer a lot like m@r except my base layer is usually under armor then wool rather than silk. Also carry a change of clothes in a dry bag and if you can a sleeping bag to warm up in before you put on the dry clothes.

I always have on a pfd, I have an inflatable for the hot months and a good foam flotation one to help insulate in the winter.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 03:08 PM

Clothes. Life Jacket.

You going to let someone tell you what to wear, what are you 8 years old?

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 06:23 PM

Maybe you can't read but I asked what OTHERS wear so I could get an idea in a situation that I've never experienced. I guess I had the wrong idea about this forum thinking some experienced kayakers might offer some wisdom but thankfully most are true sportsmen and not like you. If you're going to just be a dick, please refrain from answering anymore of my posts.

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 06:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Layering shouldn't be a big deal and I have an inflatable PFD that shouldn't hinder me too much.

Do jeans hinder any movement? I typically fish in khakis to stay cooler.

Also, do you guys wear the neoprene face masks? I've been to the coasts several times and always see boaters wearing them but are they necessary? Would you recommend one?
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 06:35 PM

When its cold neoprin waders for me. im not experienced but this helps trust me.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 06:36 PM

Joined 4 days ago, nice 2nd post.

Guess your next one will be "I am going fishing, should I bring a rod or a coke bottle with fishing string tied to it" or "should I take a paddle" or "should I use a left handed or a right handed reel"

Why dont you figure it out on your own. Gear I might understand, clothes: do you wear shorts in the winter, or a heavy coat in the summer. Those Capt. Obvious commercials are made for guys just like you.

Go buy some Boudreaux butt paste for your next kayak outing is my .02 on this topic, helps with the chafe!
Posted By: pelican

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 07:38 PM

popcorn WoW!
Posted By: Double K Outdoors

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 08:24 PM

It's going to more be about your comfort. Sometimes on the heat of summer I'll wear a short sleeve shirt and other times I'll wear long sleeves. I had to experiment with what works best for me as well.
I asked a few fellow kayakers and got some good replies. Don't let people bring you down. Most of the people on here are very helpful and kind. Everybody has their bad days though.

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 11:16 PM

I'm not worried about it. He's obviously not a very good angler otherwise he'd be out fishing instead of trolling the internet. The rest of you have some constructive suggestions. Like with the neoprene, obviously since I'm on a budget, I don't care to go spend the money to see if I do or don't like it when I can make a more educated guess with feedback from others' use of it.

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 11:17 PM

Actually, coke bottles make great jug lines. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 11:19 PM

Does neoprene get overly hot? You know how it can go from 30 to 90 by lunch. Obviously I could just take them off but if I can make do with out, it'd save me the space.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/14/15 11:51 PM

Be careful with shorts, your legs can get toasted. I wear jeans even in the summer. Wet pants on my legs is cooler than shorts.

Wintertime all I do is wear the same cold weather clothes as any other outdoor activity but I wear a heavy duty rain suit over it. Like the yellow things the guys on deadliest catch wear. I stay warm and I stay dry
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/15/15 01:47 AM

Posted By: YAKnIT

Re: New Kayaker: what do you wear? - 08/16/15 05:06 PM

Hot weather: Colombia fishing pants (to keep my legs from getting fried), long sleeve fishing shirt that is SPF 30, wide-brimmed floppy hat that has mesh venting on the top part, sometimes sun gloves designed for fishing. When its really hot I splash water on the pants and shirt sleeves and wear a chill towel around my neck. Keen sandals on my feet.

Cold weather: Gore-Tex paddling pants, long underwear, wool wading socks, Chota neoprene paddling booties that are almost knee high, several layers of wool or fleece on top, a jacket of some sort on top of that stuff, heavy stocking cap, neck gator, neoprene fishing gloves. NO COTTON when its cold.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum