Texas Fishing Forum

Pelican kayak

Posted By: SlowDown

Pelican kayak - 05/14/15 10:11 PM

I'm considerationg purchase of a Pelican Castaway 100 10' sit-on-top kayak from Academy for fishing. Are any of you familiar with this kayak and, if so, what do you think about them. Academy has a no return policy on kayaks, so I can't try it out before buying it. Will greatly appreciate replies.
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Pelican kayak - 05/14/15 10:30 PM

Absolutely no to the Castaway, but if you're going to go with Pelican grab the Icon.
Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: Pelican kayak - 05/15/15 01:01 AM

I got a icon and I love it!
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Pelican kayak - 05/15/15 04:16 PM

I have a castaway 11'6" and it's... ok. Better than walking the banks but it's not very high quality. One of the handles on the end broke off after my 4th or 5th trip.

If you can afford a different one I would suggest getting something a little higher quality.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Pelican kayak - 05/15/15 07:05 PM

Listen to the folks who actually have one and take those who may slam the Pelican kayaks with a grain of salt since they probably never owend one.
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Pelican kayak - 05/15/15 07:51 PM

My first yak is a Pelican 10" sit inside.I purchased a splash cover shield separate and no water comes in..
I am 6'2 230 and have no issues at all with it.You have to watch your weight limits on what you bring in the yak,but that's it.It is stable and glides in the water good.I have used it in Aransas bays with no issues and fish the creeks great with it.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Pelican kayak - 05/15/15 08:04 PM

How much are looking to spend? Thats the bigger question. You may be able to get into something better depending on how much you can spend.
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: Pelican kayak - 05/16/15 12:07 AM

By now, I've researched a lot of kayaks, i.e. have read a lot of reviews by owners, looked at detailed specs with emphasis on weight and stability, noted cost, etc. I've decided to pass on the Pelican for my particular unit, although it may be an alright kayak for other people. I'm looking closely at the Malibu Mini X and the Heritage Angler or Heritage Redfish 10.

Have a question about the Heritage 10' yaks. Academy seems to be the only place I find the Heritage Angler 10, which is less expensive than the Heritage Redfish 10. Heritage doesn't even show the Heritage Angler 10 on their list of products, they only show the Redfish kayaks. So ... is the Heritage Angler an older unit that has been discontinued by Heritage, or is it a unit that is built exclusively for Academy? Do any of you know?
Posted By: The Leadbetter Legend

Re: Pelican kayak - 05/17/15 01:07 PM

Saw the 10' on sale, earlier this Spring, at Academy for $299.
They may put it on sale again. The Tyler store must contain 75
yaks!
Posted By: onfirecrappie

Re: Pelican kayak - 05/19/15 11:20 PM

Dicks sporting goods has Field and Stream Eagle Talon on sale now for 399.00. Comes with a lot of extras. For the price I don't think you can beat it.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Pelican kayak - 05/21/15 06:03 PM

Redfish and anglers by heritage are 2 different molds. Ive paddled the redfish and liked it even back in 2009-2010.
Theyve probably changed the molds since then but last I knew they were still nice yaksfor the $. I havent paddled the angler by heritage that u find In academy but dont care for the design personally. The malibu Mini x is a great little yak for a smaller guy and pretty easy to transport. Its wide And stable. They dont track like a 12' yak but some folks add a rudder To solve that issue.
Good choice to not buy the castaway imo.

Neumie Is Inflatuated with the icons for some reason stir
Thats right! I just made a word up on ya!
Listen to jimbo and the others that have paddled them. Then consider
Paddling a bamboo raft is better than being stuck on land especially when u have no other options and thing else to compair it to.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum