Texas Fishing Forum

Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about?

Posted By: Gibby

Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/01/15 07:39 PM

I'm heading to Academy in about 30 minutes to buy my first Kayak. I know in time I can modify it, add things to it and in general make it more fisherman friendly. But to start, other than the Kayak and paddle, is there anything I need to have that I'm not thinking about? Looking at a sit on top Kayak that was I believe $399. I think it was 11 1/2 feet. Saw it in there a couple days ago.
Posted By: txbassnewbie

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/01/15 07:48 PM

a kayak fishing lifejacket and whistle
Posted By: J.T.69

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/01/15 08:12 PM

Paddle leash and a few dry bags! A flag if you can find one so folks can see you on open water! Good luck
Posted By: MuskogeeMac

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/01/15 08:28 PM

Scupper plugs
Posted By: Searsay

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/01/15 09:23 PM

in order of generally accepted importance -
-Common Sense
-Life vest & whistle (required by law for boating anytime)
-Scupper Plugs & paddle leash, unless you like swamp butt and/or swimming back to shore with your kayak in tow or trying to use your hands to paddle if you drop it by accident
-360 light - required by law for night paddling (which is wonderful), recommended for dawn/dusk
-finally - any and all fishing addons and pimpage smile

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/02/15 04:59 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

I bought one and took it out for a bit yesterday, and caught a good bass, so all is well to start.

Are scupper plugs, plugs that will go in the little holes in the bottom? I definitely had swamp butt going on.
Posted By: RealBigReel

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/02/15 06:04 PM

Don't buy anything from Pelican.
Red flag if you are hauling it in a truck and hangin it out the back.
Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/02/15 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: RealBigReel

Tell me more....I just bought a pelican eeks
Posted By: John Stockman

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/03/15 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: NtxBassMan

Don't worry about pelican, everyone has to start somewhere. How many people's first car was a Lamborghini.
Posted By: MtnDew

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/03/15 03:34 AM

Congrats.
ON the water in any kayak is better than on the bank smile have fun.

Yes, those little holes that let the water drain out are scuppers. You can plug them normally and then if you get a bunch of water you can pull the plug and let it drain out. I suggest you get a BIG Sponge, that helps to soak up that little bit of water and prevent swamp butt smile

On your PFD, keep a whistle, small light and a knife. The knife is just in case you flip over and get tangled up in line or rope etc.

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/04/15 04:37 PM

Good advice. Much appreciated.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/04/15 04:52 PM

Welcome to the family.

-The sponge has helped me a lot. I have an FS12T that have many little spots that collect water and hold it.
-Foam ping pong balls work well as scupper plugs too. I use it for the far forward 2 and 1 each on the middle and back ones just so I can still pull on if I need to.
-I still need to get a flag/light, I hate not having any type of bright colors for safety, especially since my kayak, paddle, and PFD are all desert sand color! haha
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/04/15 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: atx bassin
Originally Posted By: NtxBassMan

Don't worry about pelican, everyone has to start somewhere. How many people's first car was a Lamborghini.

Mine was. Matchbox Lamborghini bolt
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/04/15 05:04 PM

A whistle as mentioned is required by law.
I keep mine on a lanyard attached to my life jacket and placed in one of the pockets so it's always there.
Other items that should always be carried and within easy reach is a sharp knife. Again attached to your life jacket in case you turtle and get your feet or arms tangled up in fishing line or rope you can cut free.
Another item that not many folks carry but there can be a time you might need it is if you fish large lakes with boater traffic, and that would be one of those compact air horns that they sell at Academy.
You'll find that fishing large lakes with boaters they don't pay attention to kayakers and an air horn could save you from getting run over.
A sponge also comes in handy if you use scupper plugs because you will get a little water in the kayak just from your feet and paddle drip and a sponge works great to help keep you dry.
Then you have a anchor trolley and anchor float to rig up, if you like to fish anchored in one spot.
There are other items and as you see things can add up in a hurry.

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/04/15 07:22 PM

What about a drift sock? Do you guys use them much. Went out last night and noticed the wind was really pushing me. Do they work well with Kayaks?
Posted By: Fishing Fester

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/04/15 07:48 PM

kayak cart goes a long way too! Dragging mine throught the woods was very labor intenive!
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/04/15 08:05 PM

Keep it simple at first with your purchases. For the paddle I always recommend purchasing the best you can budget for. At the very least purchase a paddle with a fiberglass shaft and not aluminum. A comfortable PFD designed for kayaking (it'll have narrow shoulders and flotation higher on the back to allow room for a kayak seat) would be next in order. For safety a whistle is inexpensive (and contrary to popular belief is not a legal requirement on lakes and rivers) and easily affixes to your PFD. Must of us also attach a stainless steel knife to our PFD as well.

If you plan on fishing before sunrise or after sunset you'll need to either purchase a 360* all-around white light or make your own (Google Homemade kayak light) and it's also a good idea to have a head lamp.

A 5-10 liter dry bag is a must as well for wallet, keys, and cell phone.

From there I would keep the purchases minimal. A milk crate for the tankwell can be bought at the Container Store or you could politely ask for one from your local convenience store. Attach rod holders or cut PVC pipe to fit the crate.

Depending on your style of fishing an anchor is good thing to have. The folding ones are cheap and easy to find and do a ho-hum job. The bruce style anchor is much better at holding, but is harder to find and typically costs more. Another option is to purchase a 5lbs dumbbell, though it won't hold in place it super windy conditions. Again, depending on your style of fishing a drift sock is great to have. The only time I don't have one on my kayak is when I'm fishing a river.

A lot of kayakers utilize leashes for paddles, rods, etc. I'm not one of them, but it is a personal choice. I also keep a dedicated pair of pliers with each kayak because I hate it when I don't have them. If you plan on keeping fish a small landing net and ruler (like the Hawg Trough) are nice to have. Kayak carts are great if you have a long way to go to the water from where you parked.

Before you purchase items that you're going to want to permanently attach like rod holders or anchor trolleys it's best to go fishing several times before bolting those items down. It happens enough that anglers bolt a rod holder down before spending time fishing only to realize it's too far forward to reach or it interferes with their paddling stroke.
Posted By: Cowtown Kid

Re: Leaving to Buy First Kayak. What do I need that I might not think about? - 05/08/15 11:16 AM

I agree Neumie keep it simple. I always have a tendency to get more stuff than I really need and go overboard buying things I think I need only to never use them. In kayak fishing you have a limited amount of room and can fill it up fast with stuff you don't need. I would get the crate, paddle leash and after a trip or two you will figure out what other items you want to add. Good luck and post some pictures of the fish you catch!

texas
© 2022 Texas Fishing Forum