Texas Fishing Forum

Craigs list.

Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Craigs list. - 03/09/15 01:07 PM

What is up with people that post a kayak on craigslist and wont answer their emails.
I have been emailing this dude selling the kayak for his grandson, I have cash in hand.??
People like that just baffle me. I'm starting to think its just some kinda prank.
Posted By: lakewood

Re: Craigs list. - 03/09/15 01:45 PM

usually the email only ads are just email addy grabbers. Expect spam.
Posted By: marcus254

Re: Craigs list. - 03/09/15 03:30 PM

i feel ya man, i emailed and text a guy back in forth on a boat in belton. when i went to call him to go look at it he never picked up all weekend.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Craigs list. - 03/09/15 04:06 PM

Might be sold?
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Craigs list. - 03/09/15 04:28 PM

Problem is a lot of those posters sell the kayak to the first guy that shows up money in hand, and then they just forget about the add and don't get around to deleting it until they feel like it.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Craigs list. - 03/09/15 04:39 PM

I have heard very few good things about Craigs List. hammer Lots of rip offs and email grabbers! nuts Be careful when responding. coolio

Side Note: You can get a good deal off of CL. Use common since and good judgement. rockon

Re: Craigs list. - 03/09/15 04:42 PM

Yeah might of sold it, but I felt like being a booger so I checked the prohibit box and he put it right back up.
I hadn't realized responding to the email would give me spam, now I'm starting to understand all these strange
email spams I'm getting. Thats just not right.

Re: Craigs list. - 03/09/15 04:55 PM

U can notify craigslist so they will take it down.
Not everything or everyone on craigslist is bad.
Ive found some deals through craigslist. Unfortunatly
there r always going to b those that will abuse it. U may
Consider using a junk email when submitting any Info
To places u dont know for sure u can trust just to be safe.
Posted By: CraigMcD

Re: Craigs list. - 03/09/15 05:08 PM

Man, I wish it had another name like "Dan's" list or "Brian's" list or "Bart's" list or something...

I've had mixed experience with Craigslist myself...

I like it because ads on there do get a lot of views but it is kind of like buying and selling at a middle-eastern bazaar sometimes.

My experience is that buyers are every bit as flaky as sellers on there and there are more than a fair share of scammers prowling all of the time.

From a seller's standpoint, I live by the following responses to questions:
- "Yes, that's my bottom line price"
- "No, I won't take a check"
- "No, I won't set you up on a payment plan"
- "Yes, I will hold it for you. You have an hour...starting now"
- "No, I don't want to trade it for your broken/rusted/old [fill in the blank here]"

On the buyer's side, if the seller doesn't respond, I move on...probably a scammer anyway. I also have the following rules:
- "I pay with cash. After I've inspected it."
- "Face to face only. No shipping"

One other tip. Get a dummy e-mail on gmail, yahoo or whatever to use for craigslist...no point in cluttering up my primary e-mail address...

Craig (but not the one with a list).

Re: Craigs list. - 03/10/15 12:47 AM

CraigMcD, the dummy email is an excellent idea, thank you. I feel you on the name thing, mine was some drunk chick calling at 2 am in the 80's wanting to have fun with homer. and its alway been( hi, I'm darrell, this is my other brother darrell, and my other.........it got old.
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Craigs list. - 03/10/15 12:52 AM

Which is more consentant, by the way? Craigslist or E-Bay?
Posted By: RBDavis3591

Re: Craigs list. - 03/10/15 12:54 AM

Always use a spam email address when I deal with the unknown. My go to spam email address is spamgourmet.com.
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Craigs list. - 03/10/15 02:00 AM

Had the same problem when I used craigslist. If they don't get back to you within 48hrs move on. And using a separate email is a good idea. There are some good deals on there though, just take your time.
Posted By: Knot at work

Re: Craigs list. - 03/10/15 02:44 AM

was it a scrambler?
Posted By: demok83

Re: Craigs list. - 03/10/15 03:06 AM

I found both of my kayaks on craigslist. Both were awesome deals from honest people. Good deals do exist, however, as stated by everyone else, their are mega scammers and db's on there.
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Craigs list. - 03/10/15 06:10 AM

Just NEVER, NEVER, NEVER take a check from anyone on there. We got scammed while selling some outriggers for an offshore boat. Do cash only deals or suffer the consequences like we did on Craigslist.

Re: Craigs list. - 03/10/15 11:37 AM

Knot at work, it was the add for the pelican,paddle,life vest. 300.00. perfect for my 1st fishing kayak, so I got over excited and wasted too much time.
too bad its not legit.

Re: Craigs list. - 03/12/15 01:09 PM

Knot,
Google ocean scrambler kayak.
Posted By: Pop751

Re: Craigs list. - 03/12/15 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Lmgreeri
Just NEVER, NEVER, NEVER take a check from anyone on there. We got scammed while selling some outriggers for an offshore boat. Do cash only deals or suffer the consequences like we did on Craigslist.

+1
Posted By: marcus254

Re: Craigs list. - 03/12/15 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Lmgreeri

damn that's dirty, cant believe people have the nerve scam another person face to face. That would enrage me to do something dumb.
Posted By: Bass Republic CTT

Re: Craigs list. - 03/12/15 03:49 PM

I too have mixed feelings about Craigslist, both good and bad experiences selling and buying stuff. Personally I have got 2 kayaks and a kayak trailer off there with no problems. Some other things I have tried to buy on there have been a bust though. And my buddy has had these same problems with buying a yak off there. Will call the people telling them he has cash in hand and it's like they get a second thought about selling. Weird. You win some, you lose some.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum