Texas Fishing Forum

Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen

Posted By: upchurch_k

Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 02:14 AM

Alright guys I need your opinion, I'm interested in the Perception Pescador 12.0 as my first kayak. I'm a large guy, 6', 300#. The Pescador 12 is 28" wide and has a weight rating of 350#, I'm looking at the Pescador because I read a lot of good reviews about the boat, how stable it is, great tracking, fast, descent price, etc. I would greatly appreciate any input on whether or not I am on track or way off base in thinking the Pescador is a good fit for me.
Posted By: Gordoeagle

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 02:30 AM

I'll throw in my 2 cents as I've been doing some research in preparation for my upgrade. I'm 6'3' 260 and comfort and stability are my number 1 priorities. I'm considering the WS Ride 135, a Jackson Big Rig or a Jackson Cuda. The Ride has capacity to 550 so stability seems a big plus. The Big Rig and Cuda are up to 450 and 400. I'm leaning towards the Ride as the price point seems to be the best but Jackson certainly does entice with some extra bells and whistles.
I think you'll need more boat than 350 if you're 300lbs to account for gear (and hopefully fish). I think you'll also want a boat that has a raised seat option to get you off the deck. The 3 boats I mention have high seat flexibility. My current boat only has a low seating option which gets cramped real fast.
Anyway, those are my thoughts. Curious to see what others have to say.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 02:37 AM

I'm 6' and at the time I started kayaking I weighed 230 and I went through a 10 footer and a couple of 12 footers until I bought my Ride 135.
For what it's worth I was more than happy with the Ride. It just seemed like that extra foot and width made all the difference in the world.
You would be cutting it pretty close going with a kayak where you only had 50# of leeway for gear. Most kayak manufacturers over state their products actual weight limit so you would be pushing the threshold in my opinion.
I would lean toward the so called big man kayaks in your case.
Been there done that!
Posted By: WeaponOfBassDestruction

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: upchurch_k
Alright guys I need your opinion, I'm interested in the Perception Pescador 12.0 as my first kayak. I'm a large guy, 6', 300#. The Pescador 12 is 28" wide and has a weight rating of 350#, I'm looking at the Pescador because I read a lot of good reviews about the boat, how stable it is, great tracking, fast, descent price, etc. I would greatly appreciate any input on whether or not I am on track or way off base in thinking the Pescador is a good fit for me.
Trust me you would not be comfortable in that boat...don't get me wrong it's a great starting kayak but its just not big enough or stable enough for a guy of your size. Look for a yak with at least a 450 lb capacity you'll be much happier!
Posted By: KevinB

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Lews4Life
Trust me you would not be comfortable in that boat...don't get me wrong it's a great starting kayak but its just not big enough or stable enough for a guy of your size. Look for a yak with at least a 450 lb capacity you'll be much happier!

Agreed, not the right boat for you, I'm about 210 and I started with the Pescador 12. Worked ok for me, definitely had wet butt. But my complaint was long term comfort. After 3-4 hours, I was really uncomfortable. almost no padding on the seat and sits really low, so can't bend your knees much. If I were a younger more fit man it would have probably served me well for years.

I quickly upgraded to a Ride115 with the high seat and it was a HUGE difference in comfort. I've since bought the Airpro Max seat but haven't gotten to fish with it yet. I did demo the air pro max seat and knew right away I had to have one.

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 03:33 AM

You will be hard pressed to find a big man kayak in the price range of the Pescador, but buying used may be your only option.
I'd look for a Ocean Kayak Big Game, Any of the Malibu kayaks, and Wilderness Systems, Jacksons etc. But they can be a bit more pricey.
Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 03:41 AM

The ocean kayak prowler 13 from academy is 700 compared to 550, and it has a 450lb weight capacity, it's also a foot longer
Posted By: BKT

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 12:57 PM

I have a pescador 12 and weigh in around the 190 mark. Get a boat wih more capacity...
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
You will be hard pressed to find a big man kayak in the price range of the Pescador, but buying used may be your only option.
I'd look for a Ocean Kayak Big Game, Any of the Malibu kayaks, and Wilderness Systems, Jacksons etc. But they can be a bit more pricey.

I agree with what everyone has said. Buying a used kayak like those mentioned by Jimbo would be a good route. Perception does make the Striker 11.5 that does have a 500lbs weight capacity. There aren't a ton of reviews out there on it, but a few can be found here: CLICK.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 01:51 PM

Im 250. Youll b wearing that pescador. It will float u but Youll get zero performance out of it. If u do, no lake fishing in that yak 4 u. Minimum 500 capacity for some performance at your size. Look at a striker like niemie says. Could look for a gently used older ride. I believe the 2012-2013 rides have larger cockpits for a huskey gentlemen. id also look 4 a new or gently used hobie PA,
Big game, big game II, x-factor or Cobra fish n dive. The big rig and Tuna r barges and r going to paddle like em too. Used may be the way to go but mariner sails will take payments. U get a discount for being a member and youll be able to demo before u buy. someone told me they r carrying ocean kayaks again. I recommend u at least stop by n visit with them. They have it all and can show u what we r talking about.
Posted By: UrsusVeritas

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 02:10 PM

A ride 115 or 135 would handle you well, and you can usually find them used for a good price.
Posted By: Jerrybign

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 03:39 PM

"I'm 6'3' 260 and comfort and stability are my number 1 priorities."

I am 5'10' and 285. When I said this same thing to a certain "salesman", he glared at me and said, and I quote, "man, your just weird!" and walked away. No, I didn't buy from him. I took the advice of a LOT of different guys and demo'd demo'd demo'd at every chance. Long story short is this. Two 'yaks met MY criteria and bank account. NUCANOE and Freedom Hawk. My son bought the Nucanoe, and loves it. I have the Freedom Hawk and love it....because they fit OUR needs. The Nucanoe is available from a bunch of dealers, not so for the FHawk. We fished last week in Tampa out of his Nucanoe....very stable boat, and comfortable!
Posted By: KevinB

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE
Used may be the way to go but mariner sails will take payments. U get a discount for being a member and youll be able to demo before u buy. someone told me they r carrying ocean kayaks again. I recommend u at least stop by n visit with them. They have it all and can show u what we r talking about.

Ditto, I bought my Ride 115 from Mariner Sails. Tried out a bunch of boats at one of their demo days. Tried out the Air Pro Max seat at a different demo day. Been to a few of their get togethers. They will treat you right.
Posted By: ETBA

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 05:43 PM

I second the opinions of the wilderness rides. I have been paddling the 115 for a few years and have enjoyed it, especially with the new seat. I'm a big guy myself, and I honestly don't ever feel like I'm pushing it's limits with myself and lots of gear in it. In my opinion It's one of the best kayaks in that price point. If you can get one for what you wanna spend, That's what I'd do.

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Jerrybign
Long story short is this... NUCANOE

forgot about the nucanoe jerry cheers
ALSO at MARINER during my last visit.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/25/15 11:36 PM

Dont let other people dog the smaller "beginner" style kayaks for you. I fished out of a 10ft Ascend FS10 for almost 3 years with no issues and it was actually pretty comfortable and VERY stable for a smaller sit in. And im 6'3" 245 for reference. I could actually keep pace with my buddy in his native mariner propel with me paddling the Ascend so I didnt lose very much performance either. I made it work. I wouldnt have ever taken it out on big lakes though with any kind of wind since it was a sit in style kayak but on calm days it handled big water just fine. I caught TONS of fish out of it. To each his own I guess.

Now I own a Native Slayer propel 13 and couldnt be happier with it. Way more roomy, I can stand in it comfortably and it is a breeze to both paddle and use the propel drive. Perfect boat for guys our size in my opinion. Just a tad on the higher end price size. But like I said i fished out of that Ascend for almost 3 years so I got my money worth out of it and definitely deserved the upgrade as well! Just do some research and test paddle if you can. There are plenty of people on here with pescador's that Im sure wouldnt mind letting you take a spin so you can make an informed decision.

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/26/15 03:53 AM

Well even with everyones sound advice of trying out as many kayaks as I can before I buy, I pulled the trigger on a boat tonight. I took Neumie's suggestion of the Perception Striker 11.5 and did a little research, it was really the only boat that fit the weight rating I needed, thanks to everyone for talking me out of the Pescador 12.0, and was still within my budget. I couldn't justify spending $1,500 - $1,700 on a new boat or $600 - $700 on a used one in the weight rating I needed. Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions, I feel like y'all steered me in the right direction. Hope to see everyone out on the water this year!

Posted By: ETBA

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/26/15 05:20 AM

Congrats on the new yak, hope to see ya on the water sometime

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/26/15 02:03 PM

Please post up an honest review when u can. Not much info as neumie tells.
Congrats & hope it works for u.

Bull,
When folks seek sound advise we r gonna give it to them.
Im not the guy that buys junk because its cool. If u notice Im not pushing a brand to anyone Either.
I not trying to stir u up. But just because someone does It doenst mean its good advise to give
to a 300# man looking to get into the sport. u may know him well, and his limitations but I dont.
Thats why we told him to look for a big mans yak.
Safety ratings r there to protect the manufactures & the ANGLER.
Hope u never get in a situation were your sorry u ignored safety.
I have and almost lost 2 dear friends.

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/26/15 03:29 PM

That's a nice looking rig! You will not regret the choice you made, and it was the right decision, and like Zombie mentioned it's first and foremost about staying safe and enjoying the sport.
Congrats, and the addiction has started!
thumb

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/26/15 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery
Don't let other people dog the smaller "beginner" style kayaks for you. I fished out of a 10ft Ascend FS10 for almost 3 years with no issues and it was actually pretty comfortable and VERY stable for a smaller sit in. And I'm 6'3" 245 for reference. I could actually keep pace with my buddy in his native mariner propel with me paddling the Ascend so I didn't lose very much performance either. I made it work. I wouldn't have ever taken it out on big lakes though with any kind of wind since it was a sit in style kayak but on calm days it handled big water just fine. I caught TONS of fish out of it. To each his own I guess.

To build on his comments. Sit inside kayaks such as the Ascend FS10 and the Old Town Vapor 10 do make very good starter kayaks. Sitting lower inside the kayak lowers their center of gravity so the kayak feels more stable. Sit inside kayaks also have more efficient hulls so a 10 foot sit inside will out pace (and track better) than most 10 foot fit on tops. One of my good friends used to fish the coast with me out of a 10 Vapor and nevever really had an issue in the open water.

However, like most 10 footish kayaks there is a limitation on weight capacity. Given the build of the OP the more traditional options for beginners were, frankly, not an option.

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/26/15 03:52 PM

Well even with everyones sound advice of trying out as many kayaks as I can before I buy, I pulled the trigger on a boat tonight. I took Neumie's suggestion of the Perception Striker 11.5 and did a little research, it was really the only boat that fit the weight rating I needed, thanks to everyone for talking me out of the Pescador 12.0, and was still within my budget. I couldn't justify spending $1,500 - $1,700 on a new boat or $600 - $700 on a used one in the weight rating I needed. Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions, I feel like y'all steered me in the right direction. Hope to see everyone out on the water this year!

Looks good. thumb You'll have to give us a review of it after you give her a spin on the water.
Posted By: RogerB

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/26/15 04:16 PM

Congrats! thumb
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/26/15 04:33 PM

Congrats, whatever gets you safely on water and within the budget works.
Posted By: REDMANcct

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/27/15 03:56 AM

If you get a chance or attempt it, please let us know how or if you can stand and paddle at all...or if you think it's at all possible. I've got to get a new kayak this weekend and have been going back and forth deciding between the striker and Basspro's FS12T. My number 1 priority is being able to stand and fish, therefore I often paddle a little ways while standing (maybe 100 or 200 yards at a time). My last kayak had outriggers and they worked well, but a pain. Thanks

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/27/15 05:10 PM

Here is a video of the Caymen which is the same as the striker just different name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THZwLlhD4Dc

You probably already know this, but the FS12T weighs 77 pounds and the striker is listed at 70#.
The FS12T has a max weight cap of 350# and the Striker has 500# capacity.
Posted By: REDMANcct

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/27/15 06:28 PM

Wow! thank you, I had actually come across that video one before on youtube. But for the life of me havn't been able to find it again. I'm glad you posted it! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the striker, I'll know for sure after I stop by the George R. Brown Fishing Show in Houston today.

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/28/15 03:23 AM

So far I love this boat, I haven't got it out on the water yet but I really like how everything is laid out. I figured since I couldn't do anything outside today I'd start doing some rigging, got a taco paddle clip on, YakGear Stingray seat, and got my crate set up.
Posted By: BKT

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/28/15 03:58 PM

cheers

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/28/15 08:28 PM

Lookin good! thumb

Re: Pescador 12 for the husky gentlemen - 02/28/15 11:43 PM

Was the seat extra $?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum