Texas Fishing Forum

Tour Of Texas: Sabine River Sand Bass

Posted By: 2FlyFish4

Tour Of Texas: Sabine River Sand Bass - 02/22/15 04:17 AM

The only body of water in Texas that was known to hold white bass prior to 1932 was Caddo Lake. Texas Parks and Wildlife teamed up with the Oyster Commission and transplanted 13 brood fish from Caddo Lake into old Lake Dallas which is now Lake Lewisville. By 1938 the following lakes were stocked with white bass: Kemp, Buchanan, Medina, Eagle Mountain, Waco and Wichita. Today there hardly isn't a body of water across Texas that doesn't have white bass found in it.

The Sabine River has a reputation for producing one of the best runs of white bass the state can offer. You see beginning in late winter and early spring white bass leave Toledo Bend and run up the Sabine to spawn. Toledo Bend Reservoir is 185,000 acre and is the fifth largest man made reservoir in the United States. Toledo Bend is pretty much an inland sea and has an incredible amount of biomass that helps these fish grow to Texas size proportions. White bass also known as sandbass or sandies can grow to 10 inches or better in one growing season within Toledo Bend. The current state record white bass on a fly rod is 3.36lbs and I can guarantee there are plenty of white bass that will break this record in the Sabine River.

Continue Reading Here

Fish of the trip;
2lb 12 oz White Bass
Posted By: RogerB

Re: Tour Of Texas: Sabine River Sand Bass - 02/22/15 02:42 PM

Good write up and like your comment on "keeping a limit" - thanks for sharing. Also, that "banjo music" is usually not what you hear in Deep East Texas. wink
Posted By: District Paddle

Re: Tour Of Texas: Sabine River Sand Bass - 02/22/15 05:13 PM

Really nice article.

Need to put that on the list.
Posted By: JOED214

Re: Tour Of Texas: Sabine River Sand Bass - 02/22/15 05:17 PM

Good stuff! I may need to go check out that camp ground... thumb
Posted By: Lusca

Re: Tour Of Texas: Sabine River Sand Bass - 02/22/15 05:45 PM

Lake Waco was impounded in the '50s hmmm or so I thought

Never mind, I see there was a new dam that was constructed later on in the 50s.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Tour Of Texas: Sabine River Sand Bass - 02/22/15 09:40 PM

Nice post. Thanks for sharing. cheers
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Tour Of Texas: Sabine River Sand Bass - 02/22/15 09:45 PM

cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum