Texas Fishing Forum

Which rod?

Posted By: readtrio

Which rod? - 02/21/15 04:40 AM

Got my Wavespin DH 3000 spinning reel yesterday and I'm not sure which rod to put it on.
I'm thinking a 7' med heavy for sure, but not sure of brand.
I need some ideas from the experts here.
I will use it for throwing vibrating jigs and spinner baits mostly. Kind of a multi use rod.
Trying to keep it at $100 or less.
Thanks in advance!
Posted By: District Paddle

Re: Which rod? - 02/21/15 05:58 AM

For me, and for most people, rod warranties play a big part in the decision.

Retail level branded rods are easy to return if anything happens to them, for example, Bass Pro Shops rods and Academy rods.

I fish all Carbonlite rods and love them. Have heard great things about the Academy rods too.

As said, these rods come with great warranties and you can return them store-level (even without a receipt in many cases).

I would also look into TFO rods. Right at the $100 mark, and they are based out of Dallas if you have any warranty issues.
Posted By: readtrio

Re: Which rod? - 02/21/15 08:33 AM

I do have a couple of Academy rods that have been good rods, one broke on me and they swapped it out without any hesitation. I haven't tried any BPS rods myself, I live in Alvarado and don't make it to BPS very often, my son has a few of the carbonlite rods and loves them.
Thanks for the reply!
Posted By: pelican

Re: Which rod? - 02/21/15 11:29 AM

There's a ton of good rods on the market. All my rods are Falcon, made in USA, great customer service.
Posted By: CenTexSkiff

Re: Which rod? - 02/21/15 12:30 PM

Gander mountain has this 10% the whole store and their vortex rods go for $60. The sale on them right now is $20 with 10% off so I grabbed 2. They are medium heavy and have pulled catfish with these with ease and I got the warranty on them for like $2 a rod. Not a bad deal at all and free replacements if they break.
Posted By: CenTexSkiff

Re: Which rod? - 02/21/15 12:30 PM

And also they are 6'6"
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Which rod? - 02/21/15 02:04 PM

I take a new reel and walk through Cabela's and Bass Pro and just try the reel on a number of rods to see what feels best and balanced. Let the reel pick the rod. I have Shimano, Fenwick, Berkley, Falcon, Rhino, and Bass Pro rods.
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: Which rod? - 02/21/15 11:31 PM

Carbonlite rods are hard to beat at the $100 price point. I have a couple, and they get used often. I caught 9 bass on one this morning.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum