Texas Fishing Forum

Navasota River

Posted By: Bass Art

Navasota River - 02/13/15 06:57 PM

Anyone fish the Navasota River between Mexia and Fort Parker? I've fished it from my bass boat before, but it's been a few years, and I think it could be a great kayak destination. The ramp area just above Lake Fort Parker looks like it has been substantially improved, with plenty of parking now.
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: Navasota River - 02/13/15 08:11 PM

I went there a few weeks ago on a warm winter day. It's a really nice river. The ramp you reference is where I launched and it was good. I'd bet it gets crowded quick in the spring but wasn't when I went. I didn't find any crappie, but had some fun catching big drum on light gear.

Lots of bait...

Posted By: Bass Art

Re: Navasota River - 02/14/15 01:53 AM

Nice, Hank. I was very surprised to find holes that were more than 20' deep. Most of the river was 6-8' deep. We caught some decent bass on our trip, as well as a few drum. When we went, we launched from a dirt ramp. I'm sure launching when it had rained was touch and go unless you had 4WD. We actually fished the north end of the lake, too, and that is where we caught the drum. I think I'm going to a river somewhere to fish on the 21st.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum