Texas Fishing Forum

Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks?

Posted By: YakRider

Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks? - 02/11/15 07:25 PM

I have not demo one but someone gave me the impression of Hobie is wetter than other yaks from Wilderness or FeelFree, more water can comes out of the hole where you put the mirage Drive in, is it true?
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks? - 02/11/15 08:17 PM

In the pre 2015 models when you had the more traditional seat pan and seat you had the chance of sitting in water while out. However, I can't imagine the new 2015's with the Vantage seat would be any wetter than the kayaks you listed.
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks? - 02/11/15 11:39 PM

I agree with Neumie, but will add that the mirage drive hole doesn't contribute much, if any, to the water in the boat unless your really pushing the weight limit. Even in my PA, any water that comes in is due to waves/wakes. I'm sure that's the case in the lower profile Hobie kayaks as well. If you're paddling or using a TM, you need to use the insert plug for the mirage hole or you will take a little water...
Posted By: Nathan_Fisher

Re: Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks? - 02/12/15 12:39 AM

I have a Hobie PA 12 and it's the dryest yak I've had. Marriage drive does now effect anything. I would demo as many as possible to see what fits your style though. I love to stand and fish so that was the biggest selling point for me plus the horizontal rod holders
Posted By: WeaponOfBassDestruction

Re: Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks? - 02/12/15 02:50 AM

I have the PA 12 and it's very dry no issues whatsoever getting wet. Its a fishing machine!
Posted By: brownhauler

Re: Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks? - 02/12/15 03:27 AM

I have an Outback and stay pretty dry. No problems with the mirage drive hole either.
Posted By: Forever Fishing

Re: Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks? - 02/12/15 12:32 PM

Hobies are not considered a wet ride. In the marsh the Revos, Outbacks and Adventures are very dry relative to standard paddling kayaks. PA's are even drier.
Posted By: RogerB

Re: Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks? - 02/12/15 02:08 PM

Can't speak too well to the models other than the PA, but even in some sketchy conditions I've been in, I've not had water come up through the mirage drive or even the scuppers. I would imagine the other versions such as Revo, Outback, etc. are no more or less than comparable paddle yaks - no doubt the new improved seat provides a drier ride as would be the same for any other brand yak with an elevated seat.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks? - 02/12/15 03:09 PM

I fished out of an older Outback for over a year and never had a wet seat but I guess it could happen. The new Hobies with the new seat that won't be a problem. The water will stay down at the drive hole and not get you wet either. As with any water craft the right wave at the right time and direction will get inside but they are not wetter rides than most. Truth be know I get wetter from paddle drippings in my paddle yaks than I do in my Hobie. In the summer those are a blessing.
Posted By: TerryWilliams

Re: Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks? - 02/12/15 05:43 PM

I have a '14 Outback (Old seat) and never experienced a wet seat, either. There is a little bit of water that pools around the mirage drive opening but it never effected anything.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks? - 02/13/15 12:37 AM

I would say Hobies are some of the driest kayaks. Water doesn't come up through the mirage well, you don't get paddle drip and any water that does come in quickly flows out through the mirage well.
Posted By: Carver

Re: Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks? - 02/13/15 01:32 AM

Driest yaks I have ever been in.

I have owned outback, revolution, and 4 PA's and a bunch of traditional paddle craft. I take the entire garage with me and I weigh measurably over 200 lbs. I have had water in the floor from unavoidable sources, but never from a lack of flotation or design.
Posted By: RogerB

Re: Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks? - 02/13/15 06:55 PM

I think you have a wide range and depth of experience in these posts......the consensus is the Hobie is a dry ride. Now in August, that is not always preferred. wink
Posted By: YakRider

Re: Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks? - 02/14/15 04:57 AM

Thank you for sharing your experiences, I think I am one step closer to a Hobie yak!
Posted By: Tommy G

Re: Is Hobie a lot wetter than other yaks? - 02/15/15 12:20 AM

Been a while since I've posted, moved back home a year ago after living in Texas for a year. I cut my kayak teeth in Texas, and all from the PA 14 I got from marine sailors. While I lived there I fished fork, sam, Toledo, purtis creek, and a bunch of little park ponds around Dallas. Had it in in Galveston bay, and even went btb. Never once did I feel wet. Had it in some windy choppy water. Extremely stable. I primarily stand. I have a bad habit of taking ALL my gear. 10 rods and a ton of tackle. The PA can handle it all. Never felt close to turtle, knock on wood, and you can cover some water. If your looking to fish big water, the PA 14 is the ticket. Now that I'm back in the mid west, I fish lakes like Dale Hollow, Kentucky Lake, Barkley. It's an awesome boat. Mine is a 2013, looks like the new ones have some great upgrades. You will love it, especially for big water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum