Texas Fishing Forum

Multiple rods on the river

Posted By: skeeter102

Multiple rods on the river - 07/31/14 09:40 PM

Who carries more than one rod on the river? I'd like to carry two rods rigged with different baits on my pescador 12 but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. Vertical is out due to low hanging trees. How do y'all keep the extra secure and out of the way?
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Multiple rods on the river - 07/31/14 10:13 PM

I dont bass fish but i carry 4-5 rods no matter where i go. I have a bunch of rod holders and also have 4 places where my yak is designed to hold my paddle.
Posted By: BKT

Re: Multiple rods on the river - 08/01/14 01:11 AM

There was a time that I used the little bungie paddle keeper to hold one.
Posted By: weklfrog

Re: Multiple rods on the river - 08/01/14 01:53 AM

I ran into that problem at the FW Nature Center so just carry two rods. I have a rod holder on a ram ball on each side of my Outback and put the two rods horizontal in the rod holders.
Posted By: brandonsbird02

Re: Multiple rods on the river - 08/01/14 02:00 AM

I carry 4-5 rods all the time.
Posted By: HERROUTDOORS

Re: Multiple rods on the river - 08/01/14 06:15 AM

5-6
Posted By: 13MWZ

Re: Multiple rods on the river - 08/01/14 08:06 AM

I carry 4-5 also on the river. Vertical works for most of it (I attached 4 pieces of PVC to my milk crate), I just go around the over hangs. I do plan on mounting the two small slide-tracks I got a while back to the sides by my milk crate so I can put a ram holder on each side and angle them rearward. I also use the bungee paddle holder on the side of my Ride 115 for one rod and keep the one I'm currently using between my legs.
Posted By: Cowtown Kid

Re: Multiple rods on the river - 08/01/14 09:17 AM

I use 3 rods. I have a Cuda 12 and place a rod on each side of the kayak in the rod tracks and have the tip of the rod in the brush guard. The rod I am using I keep in the rod stager when I am not using it. I try to make it a practice of not having 2 rods out at one time because I have a tendency of getting them tangled up. Nothing is more frustrating that having to untangle two rods while sitting in the kayak wanting to keep a line in the water. I do have three four rod holders on my crate and two rocket launcher rod holders on each side of kayak behind my seat. I also use a Wilderness Ride 115 and try to keep the rods separated in the cockpit when fishing on the rivers or creeks. The rod stagers, the side rod tracks and the brush guard are some of the reasons I bought the Cuda when I got second kayak.
Posted By: Reel crazy

Re: Multiple rods on the river - 08/01/14 12:17 PM

Posted By: JHBoat

Re: Multiple rods on the river - 08/03/14 12:34 AM

With low hanging trees I usually just lay mine straight over the bow. Lay the road and reels under my feet to protect them with my legs and stick the tips over the bow. That being said, this isn't the best option. It's easier to manage them at this location if you have to pull them away from a branch or rock. I've also stuck the tips out the stern using the weight of the handles and reels to hold them in the rear storage behind my seat. However, if they happen to catch a branch of something behind you, it's almost too late to grab them before they take a swim- this is why I prefer them between my legs. Once I get past the trees I'll put them in my vertical rod holders.
Posted By: District Paddle

Re: Multiple rods on the river - 08/03/14 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: JHBoat
With low hanging trees I usually just lay mine straight over the bow.

This.

I paddle a Tarpon 120, so pretty much the same as you.

With low-hanging trees, as you would find in a creek situation, you really want to keep it at or below 6.5 feet with your rods.

I lay them down in front of me, in between my legs, with the tip hanging slightly over the bow.
Posted By: skeeter102

Re: Multiple rods on the river - 08/03/14 11:34 AM

Thanks for the advice y'all. I've been playing around with a few of the mentioned ideas. I've got a few more things to do to the kayak but instead of doing them, I just keep going fishing.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Multiple rods on the river - 08/03/14 01:06 PM

If your kayak design enables you to install a rod belt buckle horizontally, you can secure 3-4 rods horizontally with a rod buckle ($16 for two) at the butt end and maybe a velcro strap or bungee at the tip end.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum