Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing in Okie Territory...Lake Texoma

Posted By: AcousticTennis

Fishing in Okie Territory...Lake Texoma - 07/21/14 05:41 PM

Hey there!

I've been up north in Dallas spending some time with my gal. Every once in a while ill sneak out and enjoy some time on the water. The weather has been amazing aside from the crazy amount of rain we had.

I had a list of fish that I wanted to catch while I was up here. Roger was kind enough to help me knock a few of them out. First up on the list were stripers!

We met up at the boat ramp for launch and it was a bit intimidating. Down south we can pull up to the side of the road and launch without much pressure. On the lake you have to get in line with the boaters and be quick quick quick!

We launched without any problems and enjoyed a awesome sunrise to what would be a awesome day.

We finally get to some spot and Roger tells me to try a topwater. First cast out I hear a big blow up on rogers lure. Pop Pop Pop! My attention was on Rogers topwater as it was getting blown up when out of no where I hear a explosion much closer to me. POP! Fish on!

First cast of the day got my my first striper of any real size. It was only 19.5" but I was damn proud of it!

We stayed in the area for a while and messed with the topwater bite. Eventually it died out so we ducked into another area to try some subsurface artificial action. I tied on my trusty white shallow diver and worked the dropoffs on the shoreline. Every 5th cast or so would get me a smaller striper or big sandy.

I anchored up to try my luck with gar/catfish when I hear a "did you see that?!" from Roger. A nice unexpected bass decided to hit whatever he was throwing haha.

With storms moving in we called it a day and headed back.

The open invited were out there for saturday. I expected maybe 10 kayakers to show up but we were rolling 25 kayakers deep at least! It was a crazy sight to see!

One of the first to hook up was Roger (of course) and Shaun! We kept working topwaters down the shoreline. An army of kayaks out with the same intentions.

I already had a striper or two to my name so I was content. Then my topwater gets smashed pretty violently! Drag was going and going. I get wrapped on a tree underwater but luckily it came off. After a while a pig comes floating up. I had lent my net to Jay for his catch so luckily he showed up just in time to net my new personal best 31"+ striper! Thanks, brotha!

The rest of the day was pretty slow. Schools of sand bass would show up busting but not much size to them. Others did well with topwaters and some great fish were caught. It was definitely a trip to remember. This salty fisher had a great time in the freshwater. Topwater striper beats the hell out of trout and reds.

Till Next Time!
Life is good!

Tino
Posted By: Dougy

Re: Fishing in Okie Territory...Lake Texoma - 07/21/14 06:15 PM

nice report!
Posted By: The Ninja

Re: Fishing in Okie Territory...Lake Texoma - 07/21/14 09:50 PM

Nice report, looked like a blast!
Posted By: stxhunter

Re: Fishing in Okie Territory...Lake Texoma - 07/21/14 11:35 PM

Sweet!
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Fishing in Okie Territory...Lake Texoma - 07/21/14 11:41 PM

Lake Texoma is great! cheers
Posted By: fishinmachine

Re: Fishing in Okie Territory...Lake Texoma - 07/22/14 12:05 AM

Great pics, Tino. Big Tex is a blast when the water is calm enough! Looks just right in your images. Wish I could have joined you guys...maybe next time. I was down in your neck of the woods last weekend fishing with your KW teammate.
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: Fishing in Okie Territory...Lake Texoma - 07/22/14 12:12 AM

I had a great time fishing with you Tino. Congrats on that pig of a striper! thumb
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Fishing in Okie Territory...Lake Texoma - 07/22/14 12:32 AM

Nice report! It was awesome to finally meet you. Texoma is a great lake.
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Fishing in Okie Territory...Lake Texoma - 07/22/14 12:40 AM

Nice write up, Tino. Texoma's a great lake--with enough room for even 25 kayakers.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Fishing in Okie Territory...Lake Texoma - 07/22/14 01:09 AM

We takin over!
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: Fishing in Okie Territory...Lake Texoma - 07/22/14 01:12 AM

Dang Tino, I need a camera like yours! Great fish (and really great picture!!)!!
Posted By: RogerB

Re: Fishing in Okie Territory...Lake Texoma - 07/22/14 01:28 PM

Nice write up Tino! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum