Texas Fishing Forum

Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak

Posted By: PayneFish

Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/09/14 12:55 PM

Is this the best river kayak ever made? It seems it has fallen off the radar with the Cuda 12, Big TUna and Big Rig from Jackson but it is definitely still there. Making improvements every year, this is a review you should check out.

http://www.kayakgearguru.com/2014/06/jackson-coosa.html

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/09/14 01:01 PM

Test paddle before you buy!

This seems to be something most people don't listen to, and they go by all the hype and talk on the forums, and buy just because it's the latest greatest thing out there.
Right now on another forum there is a brand new Viking kayak that probably still has some packing smell on it for sale.
Just goes to show these manufacturers know how to market their products.
Posted By: Mybrainisflied

Re: Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/09/14 01:43 PM

For me the coosa paddled like I was dragging an anchor behind me. Sold it 2 weeks later. Although it seemed to drag, I was impressed with its ease of turning. You could do a 180 with a single proper stroke.

Even for short river trips the Coosa would wear me out. Not the boat for me but it maybe perfectly suited for others.

Re: Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/09/14 03:37 PM

Yep, the demo demo demo definitely applies here. I think the paddlability was a factor in designing a Cuda 12 which merged features of the Cuda 14 and the Coosa.

Marketing is strong with the manufacturers! I'd love to get some seat time in a Viking to see for myself. Demo demo demo.
Posted By: marcus254

Re: Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/09/14 04:16 PM

id like one, my cuda 14 can be a pain in rivers little to big.

Re: Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/09/14 04:34 PM

my brother is rocking a yellow jacket one. have to see if we can get him to come do the Bosque with us and you can try it out!
Posted By: marcus254

Re: Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/09/14 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: PayneFish
my brother is rocking a yellow jacket one. have to see if we can get him to come do the Bosque with us and you can try it out!
sounds good id like to try it i fish the north, south bosquies and brazos rivers alot, and the 14 cuda is too much takes alot of room to turn it. great on the lake though. I have a cruise 12 but i dont use it wife loves it.
Posted By: Slingbait

Re: Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/09/14 05:52 PM

I think the Coosa is great for what it is made for. I paddled one but the lack of speed,glide and tracking was what made me look at other options. If I fished creeks a lot I would like one just for that. The article was little critical but if was not wrong in my opinion either. I have a Cruise 12 and its a pretty good creek kayak. Kind of a cross between the Cuda and the Cruise
Posted By: djosselet

Re: Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/09/14 06:41 PM

Slingbait i also have a Cruise 12. I love it but if i had the money i would have bought a Coosa or Cuda. Maybe next year. Lol. What acc on ur Cruise have u added.

Re: Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/09/14 08:42 PM

Until a few weeks ago it was my wifes. I will most likely ad some gear track in front of the paddle stays. I had took the ram tubes off and put flush mount holders on it for her and a 2007 ram holder and a scotty drink holder in front and the cargo nets beside the seat for her. I do like the storage/rod compartment on the Cuda and the rod stays. But the Cruise is just as fast and way more stable than the Cudas, 12 or 14
Posted By: The Ninja

Re: Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/09/14 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo

This seems to be something most people don't listen to, and they go by all the hype and talk on the forums, and buy just because it's the latest greatest thing out there.
Right now on another forum there is a brand new Viking kayak that probably still has some packing smell on it for sale.

Not really sure of what your saying here?

As far as the Coosa love this yak! but HIGHLY recommend a rudder with it.
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/10/14 01:07 AM

After taking my Commander 140 down the LMF once, I went looking for a kayak for rivers/moving waters. I checked out the Coosa, but it was just too slow, and it seemed a little top heavy to me for a river kayak. After poking around (literally) in it for about an hour, I went looking for something better. I found it in the Ride115. For me, it's the best choice of anything I have seen for rivers and moving water, especially if there are any rapids to traverse.

I know 2 guys that have Coosas and love them. Both of them have turtled in calm, flat water.
Posted By: The Ninja

Re: Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/10/14 02:38 AM

Bum deal for those guys that turtled. I never turtle my Coosa and found it to be super nibble on the river almost to nibble. A lot of rocker on the boat and that's the reason I high recomend a rudder. Coosa was by far the best river yak I've been in. Standing in my Coosa was also super easy.

Re: Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/10/14 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: The Ninja
Standing in my Coosa was also super easy.

I agree the first time I was in kayak I stood up. It was a Coosa and I am old fat and clumsy. they are very stable to me.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/10/14 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: The Ninja
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

Not really sure of what your saying here?

As far as the Coosa love this yak! but HIGHLY recommend a rudder with it.

Pretty much what it says!
Sure, listen to the reviews and take note of what is said, but don't just take others word and run out and buy just because of the hype!
Test paddle for yourself, and make up your own mind! Everyone is different, and what works for you doesn't always work for the next guy!
Posted By: froderick87

Re: Jackson Coosa- Review of a Lesser Talked About Kayak - 06/11/14 01:34 PM

I rock My coosa In Flat and moving water! and while there is no doubt My tracking is almost not present, as far speed goes I can keep up with whoever I am with without putting extra effort. But I am a Young man with reasonable endurance and also have reasonable balance so I don't really have to worry about things like turtling, so probably when i get older I'll go ahead and snag a ride 115 haha.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum