Texas Fishing Forum

Websites for Freshwater water temps?

Posted By: AdanV

Websites for Freshwater water temps? - 04/04/14 04:17 AM

Evening y'all

Anyone know some good websites that give current water temps?

The rainy weekend has me thinking of kayaking the Colorado river at Columbus instead of the coast.

Not sure whether to go in shorts and a tshirt or pants and hip waders. I also want the info so I can strategize for bass fishing.
Posted By: michaelj_00

Re: Websites for Freshwater water temps? - 04/04/14 03:04 PM

I use the Texas Parks and Wildlife website.

It's only larger lakes and not real time, but gives me a pretty good indication of what to expect.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/fishreport.phtml
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: Websites for Freshwater water temps? - 04/04/14 03:37 PM

That's about as good as you can get from an online database. Best to post a question about a lake you want to fish. Cooper (below) hasn't had 66 degree water since last October! It's unique since there haven't been any boats that weren't drug from the bottom of the ramp to the lake since then either!

From TPWD site-
COOPER Water clear; 66–70 degrees; 12.55' low. Black bass are good on medium crankbaits and Carolina rigged plastics up to '15 deep. Crappie are fair on jigs. White bass are fair on slabs. Hybrid striper are good on slabs. Catfish are good on cut shad and trotlines
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: Websites for Freshwater water temps? - 04/04/14 11:48 PM

I never actually see where or how they measure these temperatures. Do you? If it's anecdotal from guides, expect the "chamber of commerce" version.
Posted By: AdanV

Re: Websites for Freshwater water temps? - 04/05/14 01:43 AM

Okay thanks.

I was curious.
I use the Fishhead app, which tells me the water levels and flow strength for most rivers.
But I never see temps.
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: Websites for Freshwater water temps? - 04/05/14 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: texasflycaster
I never actually see where or how they measure these temperatures. Do you? If it's anecdotal from guides, expect the "chamber of commerce" version.

It almost has to be, or from parks or wardens vessels. If there were sensors, the Cooper data would not be so old.
Posted By: RogerB

Re: Websites for Freshwater water temps? - 04/05/14 03:51 AM

Agreed. At the same time, I marked 51-52 on Texoma at ESP one day and less than 48 hours later was marking 59-60 at the Islands. To have any meaning, the water temp would have to have consistent place(s) of measurement.
Posted By: onfirecrappie

Re: Websites for Freshwater water temps? - 04/06/14 10:52 PM

I know on lake Texoma you can call the COE, they have a recorded message with lake elevation and temp updated daily. 903-465-1491.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum