Texas Fishing Forum

HOBIE OR NATIVE ????

Posted By: broncos1

HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/13/14 04:44 PM

Hello, Looking at buying a bass fishing kayak. Been doing some research online and found Hobie and Native. What are your opinions on these brands? I talked to a gentleman at Backwoods and he told me to go down to Panther Island, they have Hobies down there to demo. All opinions are welcomed, want to get as much info before making such a big purchase. Thank You.
Posted By: marcus254

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/13/14 04:47 PM

hobie if you want to peddle, native if you want to peddle and paddle imo
Posted By: Grease Bath

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/13/14 04:49 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/13/14 04:49 PM

Both are great kayaks. Demo both and see which model is best for you.
Posted By: SleepingTiger

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/13/14 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: marcus254

kinda hard to read about hobie or native when youR signature has a size 100 font that says JACKSON! LOL
Posted By: Grease Bath

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/13/14 05:00 PM

I would get with the Backwoods guys and do a demo(Don't overlook Mariner Sails in Dallas), take a rod and do a little fishing to see how you feel in the Hobie. Then I would talk to Dan/Rick or Patti at APT and do a demo with them. Both companies make quality yak/hybrids you just need to find out what suits your needs the best.
Posted By: broncos1

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/13/14 05:26 PM

Thanks Guys talked with Patty. I didn't know a Native dealer was this close. Awesome. Think I found a great forum!!!!
Posted By: Neumie

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/13/14 06:10 PM

If you're looking for a pedal system both brands are great choices.

Each drive system (Hobie's Mirage and Native's Propel) has their distinct advantage. The Mirage will let you get into shallower water, while the Propel systems lets you reverse.

The Hobie Pro Angler is a very popular choice in North Texas. I've been hearing great things about the new Native Slayer Propel 13, too.

If I were investing in a pedal kayak I think the Propel would be at the top of the list.
Posted By: YakFishField

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/13/14 06:41 PM

You definitely need to demo both. They have very different feels. The Hobie is more like a stairmaster, and the Natives are like a bike. I bike a lot and so I always thought I would much prefer the Natives, but once I got in them, I found out just the opposite. I love my Hobie.

Also, my Hobie Outback paddles fine and the Hobie Revolution paddles great, so the "if you want to pedal and paddle get a Native" advice is definitely debatable.

Demo, demo, demo. Mariner Sails in Dallas has demo days on some Thursdays and Saturdays and they're very knowledgeable. Give them a holler if you're in the area. http://www.mariner-sails.com/

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/13/14 08:59 PM

Keep in mind also if you want to stand. I have terrible balance and was able to stand in the Slayer Propel with ease. Having the ability to go in reverse is a total game changer.
Posted By: YakFishField

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/13/14 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaun Russell
Keep in mind also if you want to stand. I have terrible balance and was able to stand in the Slayer Propel with ease. Having the ability to go in reverse is a total game changer.

That's the big thing with the Natives - reverse. I don't find myself wanting it in my Hobie too much, but definitely sometimes.

As for standing - DEMO! I can stand in the Outback, but Shaun can't. He can stand in the Ride 115, but I can't. Demo demo demo.

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/13/14 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: YAK'N AGGIE

That's the big thing with the Natives - reverse. I don't find myself wanting it in my Hobie too much, but definitely sometimes.

As for standing - DEMO! I can stand in the Outback, but Shaun can't. He can stand in the Ride 115, but I can't. Demo demo demo.

Heck Robert I can't stand and fish out of either......LOL! It's one thing to be able to stand in a kayak. It's another to be able to comfortably fish while standing.
Posted By: CanadiYak

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/13/14 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: SleepingTiger
Originally Posted By: marcus254

kinda hard to read about hobie or native when youR signature has a size 100 font that says JACKSON! LOL

JT your knocking the only other guy on here that's a Bronco fan bang
Posted By: Todd™

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/13/14 10:05 PM

Both are good but as you might have figured out by now it's best to DEMO to see which is good for you.

Give Mariner Sails a look. They have both brands so you can demo them side by side to see which is best.

Good luck!
Posted By: pelican

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/13/14 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: YAK'N AGGIE

Heck Robert I can't stand and fish out of either......LOL! It's one thing to be able to stand in a kayak. It's another to be able to comfortably fish while standing.

Try standing and throwing a 7' cast net!
Posted By: Blakehock

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/14/14 12:09 AM

Honestly depends on what you want to fish and how big of person you are imo. Different Natives will suite different people and same for Hobies. Make sure you demo them. Only way I made my choice.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/14/14 07:11 AM

Or if you prefer to stand, paddle, pole or add and an electric...my favorite!

http://freedomhawkkayaks.com/freedom_pathfinder.php

rolfmao

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/14/14 09:46 AM

Originally Posted By: lconn4
Or if you prefer to stand, paddle, pole or add and an electric...my favorite!

http://freedomhawkkayaks.com/freedom_pathfinder.php

rolfmao

Ya know the older I get the more attractive electric becomes.... rolfmao

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/14/14 12:18 PM

The older I get the more I NEED the exercise from paddling/peddling, but sometimes a TM would sure be nice!
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/14/14 02:31 PM

reverse.......if Hobie can perfect this....they will dominate the industry. Until then Native takes the win. Reverse is a game changer and once you have it.....you can't be without it.
Posted By: SleepingTiger

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/14/14 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: CanadiYak

JT your knocking the only other guy on here that's a Bronco fan bang

im not knocking the guy. i just thought it was funny how he was talking about hobie and native and all i saw was his signature. would you stop trying to stir the pot.

anyways, if you really wanna stir the pot.............
Posted By: Dougy

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/14/14 09:38 PM

SANTA CRUZ RAPTOR!!
Posted By: RogerB

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/15/14 10:50 AM

I understand the value of reverse in some/many situations. Question/observation for those who have demo'd or own one:

1) Is it as uncomfortable as it looks?
2) Appears you have to keep rods to the side due to height of knees
3) How easy is it to go from "off the pedals" to "on the pedals" or vice versa? Or do you keep your feet on the pedals all the time?

I would like to demo one just to see first hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP_in75bkTY

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/15/14 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: FishAll50
I understand the value of reverse in some/many situations. Question/observation for those who have demo'd or own one:

3) How easy is it to go from "off the pedals" to "on the pedals" or vice versa? Or do you keep your feet on the pedals all the time?

Great questions
Posted By: Nutrarat

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/15/14 09:30 PM

I followed everyone's advice and tried both before I upgraded. Good luck with the purchase and show us what you get.

Posted By: Slingbait

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/15/14 09:41 PM

I would say try them both and choose the one that you like the most. Don't let the price determine it one way or the other. I would strongly urge you to buy from Mariner sails. They are really into customer service. I have a PA14 and love it, but the Slayer is pretty cool also.
Posted By: Blakehock

Re: HOBIE OR NATIVE ???? - 03/15/14 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: FishAll50

1. I have fished 5+ hours at a time in mine and never once felt uncomfortable. The seat is extremely comfortable to me.
2. I keep my rods leashed into my crate directly behind me. I take four at a time and can switch pretty easily. One thing to note is the rod holder that is built in on your right hand side is pointed forward. I have found this to be pretty convenient because when I need to change a lure it actually sets the lure right where my seat is off the forward pointing tip. Makes tying knots pretty easy.
3. I keep my feet on the peddles all the time. I seem to be constantly using them and it is comfortable to me to have my legs up. I never peddled the mariner propel but I am told that the slayer propel's angle is set up at a much better angle to both turn the peddles and take some pressure off of your back.

Here is a pic of my set up as it currently is. Still working out the kinks but it is working well for me so far.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum