Texas Fishing Forum

PPF: Got A Kayak. What Else Do I Need?

Posted By: PayneFish

PPF: Got A Kayak. What Else Do I Need? - 12/07/13 10:36 PM

Every year it happens. For the last decade that I have been around kayak fishing, the Christmas season brings a great new flood of people to the sport I love. Thousands of new anglers, looking for a way to get on the water or maybe a different way to get on the water, ask for and receive a kayak for Christmas.

Often times these gift kayaks are not the $2,000 super decked out angler editions. They are sit-in or sit-on kayaks purchased at major chain stores. You know what? And hear me say this: THAT IS JUST FINE!

You don't need to have a BMW 7 Series car to drive on the highway and you don't need the Hobie Pro Angler 14 to get on the water. Would it be nice? Dang skippy. Is it necessary? Not even close.

I fished my first six, almost seven years out of a $200 sit in kayak from Academy Sports and Outdoors. And it was great. I fished differently then than I do now but every kayak owner fishes a little differently and some of that comes from the type of kayak they fish from. The important things to remember are safety, time on the water and customization to fit your needs.

These throngs of people often find their way to kayak forums and ask the same questions. That is when they get a good taste of what our sport is about. Sharing. More specifically, sharing information.

The questions typically revolve around accessories, where to try, and what is all this I hear about tipping over?

Today, I want to give you some of what I have learned both from the school of hard knocks and by others in the sport who have mentored me.

So I got a new kayak:

What accessories do I need?

See more at: http://www.paynespaddlefish.com/2013/12/got-kayak-what-else-do-i-need.html
Posted By: Blakehock

Re: PPF: Got A Kayak. What Else Do I Need? - 12/07/13 11:14 PM

Good article Chris. This is exactly what I have been thinking about when trying to get my Christmas list together.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: PPF: Got A Kayak. What Else Do I Need? - 12/07/13 11:55 PM

Exactly the kind of things to think about. With all the excitement of getting a new yak I can see it being easy to over look the necessities.

Re: PPF: Got A Kayak. What Else Do I Need? - 12/08/13 01:16 AM

There are tons of things that could be on here but hopefully these are a little easier on the wallet with some upgrade options thrown in.
Posted By: Trigger23

Re: PPF: Got A Kayak. What Else Do I Need? - 12/08/13 03:30 AM

Great article...

Thanks for posting!

Re: PPF: Got A Kayak. What Else Do I Need? - 12/08/13 03:52 AM

no prob Trigger
Posted By: That Possum

Re: PPF: Got A Kayak. What Else Do I Need? - 12/08/13 06:28 AM

I appreciate these articles.

After my honeymoon I'll be looking at buying my first kayak for fishing. I've owned a pokeboat and a pirogue in the past but really liking this Big Rig that Jackson's about to start selling.

Re: PPF: Got A Kayak. What Else Do I Need? - 12/08/13 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: That Possum
I appreciate these articles.

After my honeymoon I'll be looking at buying my first kayak for fishing. I've owned a pokeboat and a pirogue in the past but really liking this Big Rig that Jackson's about to start selling.

thumb let us know how we can help. Lots of knowledgeable folks here.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum