Texas Fishing Forum

How far do you paddle

Posted By: BKT

How far do you paddle - 11/23/13 02:35 AM

So in a days (daylight to dark) fishing how far do y'all end up paddling? Seems I hover around the 3 mile mark...
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/23/13 02:45 AM

Really depends on where you are and what you're chasing. Too broad a question to answer without more details. You might paddle 15 miles worth of laps around Lake Cooper trying to keep up with Zombie while he's chasing birds, or you might be deep in the middle Brazos and it's less about the paddling and more about the yak dragging, which is...well, a drag.
Posted By: jowings

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/23/13 02:47 AM

I usually do anywhere between 3 and 6 miles. It mostly depends on whether I'm catching well or not. I enjoy paddling almost as much as the fishing, so if they aren't biting, then I'll just go on a little tour for a while. I used to fish with my brother a lot, and he felt pretty much the same way about it. The only difference was that in addition to paddling tours he like to start surprised games of bumper boats. Its not really fair when he was in a Hobie PA and I was sitting in a Pescador 12.
Posted By: pelican

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/23/13 03:23 AM

Over 1200 miles in 3 years.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/23/13 03:33 AM

As far as it takes to catch fish. No limits.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/23/13 04:32 AM

At least 5000 in 10 years. Probably 5 miles today with zero bites.
Posted By: Aggroman

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/23/13 05:37 PM

I average 3-6 round trip with the smaller rivers we have around here. I usually make it into a full day with just that few miles tho. I can't get out as often as I would like, so I savor every moment i'm out there, fishing, taking photos, or just watching the squirrels jump from tree to tree. Jeez, the cold weather is getting to me, I sound like a Hallmark commercial. grin
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/23/13 06:03 PM

1-4 miles on the lakes around here. 1-2 miles on the creeks. 10-12+ miles on the Kansas River.
Posted By: RealBigReel

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/23/13 10:10 PM

Paddle/peddle 6-10 miles most times out.
Posted By: gotta fish

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/23/13 11:04 PM

Two to four miles just depends a lot on how much wind is involved!
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/24/13 02:24 AM

If the fish are biting I'm averaging 3-4. I've had some days I've spent searching for a bite of 6-7+.
Posted By: Federale

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/24/13 02:27 AM

On the river 8 miles in one day is about max to allow enough time to fish...

When I am in a lake I don't usually keep track.. but I don't think I usually cover as much distance.
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/25/13 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By: christian myrick

yep
Posted By: Patriot7Six

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/25/13 01:16 PM

Someone needs to invent a yak odometer...GPS might be able to do the same if you use the route map feature.
Posted By: pelican

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/25/13 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Xalt
Someone needs to invent a yak odometer...GPS might be able to do the same if you use the route map feature.

A lot of FF's have GPS with trip log.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/25/13 05:13 PM

What I don't believe gps takes into account is the paddling in place (against the wind/current) aspect of kayak fishing. I thought I remember hearing years ago of a small contraption that counted paddle strokes and made a distance calculation. Any of you remember those?
Posted By: Brady S

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/26/13 07:56 PM

I'd also say 3-6. I primarily bass fish. I've gone as much as 12 in one day though, not much fishing got done on that trip.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/26/13 10:23 PM

ALOT
Posted By: BKT

Re: How far do you paddle - 11/27/13 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: christian myrick

If your catching fish is like my catching fish you'd be across the Atlantic by now.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum