Texas Fishing Forum

Front Rod Holders: A Necessity?

Posted By: Aggie61

Front Rod Holders: A Necessity? - 10/27/13 12:41 AM

Thinking not installing rod holders on front of Revo, have rear rod holders and rod holders on crate. Just lay rod horizontal when pedaling.

Anyone not install rod holders on front of their yak?
Posted By: Yak FinAddic

Re: Front Rod Holders: A Necessity? - 10/27/13 01:00 AM

If you plan on trolling or drifting I would say they are necessities. But if you will just be fishing for greenies these are techniques you may not use.
Posted By: Tony from Oak Point

Re: Front Rod Holders: A Necessity? - 10/27/13 05:39 AM

Wjh, I haven't installed them. If I trolled or drifted for big fish often I probably would, like Yak Finaddic mentions. Moving water and big waves contributed to all the rigs I've lost. Another consideration is how expensive are your combos. Even then, you could add floatation instead of installing rod holders.

I often fish with two rigs at a time though, each set criss crossed where both my legs are in contact with both poles. This way I can feel a bite and react instantly. I'm not targeting big fish though.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Front Rod Holders: A Necessity? - 10/27/13 05:48 AM

^^^^ This I only put mine on when drifting or if I'm going on a over night trip where I might go after some cats. I'd just get the kind that have a mount such as the Scotty's where you can put other stuff in it or just leave the mount if you're not needing anything for a particular outing.
Posted By: Joseph Starr

Re: Front Rod Holders: A Necessity? - 10/28/13 03:03 AM

man! Where do you put your feet at? smile
Posted By: fishinpreacher

Re: Front Rod Holders: A Necessity? - 10/29/13 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Yak FinAddic
If you plan on trolling or drifting I would say they are necessities. But if you will just be fishing for greenies these are techniques you may not use.

X2 on trolling or drifting, plus if you end up doing BTB the holders are almost a necessity.
Posted By: fishinmachine

Re: Front Rod Holders: A Necessity? - 10/29/13 04:27 PM

I agree with the replies here about using them for drifting. A single front mount is handy when paddling moving streams or rivers, too. It keeps the rod ready for a quick cast to a pocket or eddy, but enables you to secure it close to the deck with a strap while paddling through a rapids or under trees. While casting on calm water, I usually leave the front holder off the base and just lay a rod on the deck while changing locations.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Front Rod Holders: A Necessity? - 10/29/13 05:45 PM

I have them and use them but I take them out while paddling or throwing the castnet.
Posted By: Jerry Hamon

Re: Front Rod Holders: A Necessity? - 10/29/13 05:56 PM

Add some gear track and then you can put them on and off as needed. I have two ZookaTube rod holders that I use to troll and to hold my rods when I'm paddling. They also provide some rod protection as the rods lock in them.
Posted By: RealBigReel

Re: Front Rod Holders: A Necessity? - 10/29/13 07:52 PM

I like front rod holders for trolling or for fishing from the shore. The front one on STRIPER is a slider.
Posted By: Dougy

Re: Front Rod Holders: A Necessity? - 10/29/13 08:54 PM

I think you need them. sometimes its a pain-in-the-a** not having them in front.
Posted By: YakFishField

Re: Front Rod Holders: A Necessity? - 10/29/13 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Wjh
Just lay rod horizontal when pedaling.

Either I don't know what you mean, or you aren't thinking that one through. You can't lay your rod horizontally in front of you and pedal. It will get in the way of your pedalling. That's one of the most aggravating parts of having a pedal boat for me, I can't just lay my rods down in my Outback. I HAVE to put them in a rod holder somewhere.

Now, you can throw them in the rod holders behind you just fine, but it will involve more turning around, which might get old.

I'd say just don't install them yet, see how you like it, and if you find yourself never missing them then don't install any. Taking other people's preferences won't help much, as everyone is different.
Posted By: Yak FinAddic

Re: Front Rod Holders: A Necessity? - 10/29/13 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: YAK'N AGGIE
Originally Posted By: Wjh
Just lay rod horizontal when pedaling.

Either I don't know what you mean, or you aren't thinking that one through. You can't lay your rod horizontally in front of you and pedal. It will get in the way of your pedalling. That's one of the most aggravating parts of having a pedal boat for me, I can't just lay my rods down in my Outback. I HAVE to put them in a rod holder somewhere.

Now, you can throw them in the rod holders behind you just fine, but it will involve more turning around, which might get old.

I'd say just don't install them yet, see how you like it, and if you find yourself never missing them then don't install any. Taking other people's preferences won't help much, as everyone is different.

Must be an Outback first world problem Bobby ;-)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum