Texas Fishing Forum

Kayak Fishing Club

Posted By: Jerry Hamon

Kayak Fishing Club - 08/06/13 07:17 AM

I know this topic has been brought up before.
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5861385/Kayak_Clubs
I'd like to see if we can revisit it from a little different perspective. Please try to stay on topic and be civil.

What are your thoughts on a general kayak fishing club?
General in that we are not species, brand, tackle, or water body specific. Anyone can join. No dues. We have a monthly meeting and have guest speakers from tackle manufacturers, rod builders, kayak manufacturers, guide services, and so on. We could have multi-species tournaments or specific species tournaments. We also work out a club discount program where we can buy items related to kayak fishing through our club affiliation.

I know we have a kayak bass fishing club in the N Texas area already and this is in no way designed to take anything away from that organization. We have a number of folks that are not bass fishermen and I think it would be cool to see the cat fishermen, hybrid fishermen, and the rough fishermen getting together with the bass fishermen to help grow the sport we all share.

Ideas? Questions? Concerns? Let's hear them. coach
Posted By: CanadiYak

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/06/13 07:43 AM

I think it's a great idea Jerry learn different methods for different species.Would be great to try different tourneys and at no cost well today that's just a bonus thumbwill chime in later off to work
Posted By: Yak FinAddic

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/06/13 09:36 AM

popcorn2
Posted By: AeroAgg06

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/06/13 11:30 AM

Sounds like a great idea to me.

We could also have regular lake get-togethers to go out and fish and give newer guys (like myself) pointers at what we are doing wrong and why we can't catch fish wink (in a constructive way, of course)
Posted By: txkayaker

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/06/13 12:27 PM

i would really like this, but for those of us that live farther east, maybe we could have an affiliate group. GREAT idea Jerry thumb
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/06/13 12:51 PM

I'm in for a group thing. I don't have any lure chunking exp but I have gotten lucky a few times with cats, gar and shark.
Posted By: YakinJoe

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/06/13 02:03 PM

Awesome idea. I would be in for sure!
Posted By: Michael Ray

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/06/13 02:07 PM

Its a good idea.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/06/13 02:22 PM

I think there should be an Independant Kayak Fishing Club, made up of guys/gals that don't join clubs...and don't promote bombshell turtles. rolfmao
Posted By: RedShadWorm

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/06/13 03:22 PM

I think this is a great idea.

I think on the bass tournaments specifically there are already too many competing circuits. I think it would be more fun for all if the tournaments were unified and we had bigger turnouts.

I thing the idea of the $40 / $20 divisions that was discussed earlier seemed to resonate with a lot of people.
Posted By: YakFishField

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/06/13 03:44 PM

Count me in. I'd be happy to film the get-togethers and help promote/grow the club. You know me. rolfmao cheers
Posted By: JRNissley

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/06/13 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: txkayaker
i would really like this, but for those of us that live farther east, maybe we could have an affiliate group. GREAT idea Jerry thumb

+1

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/07/13 04:45 AM

The idea is statewide, so I'm thinking regions?
Posted By: RoadBlock

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/08/13 04:06 AM

This sounds really interesting Jerry, not being brand or species specific is a really good idea, it puts all of us on a level playing field and kinda takes away certain stigmas associated with kayak fisherman, especially when people start pointing fingers at others for there particular tastes in brands. I am totally in for this, I would love to learn anything I can about fishing in general and fishing from a plastic boat.
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/08/13 04:13 AM

I would join a kayak fishing club if it had a really good private lake...
Posted By: Banjo Ed

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/08/13 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Rev TCF
The idea is statewide, so I'm thinking regions?

I like that idea for sure!!
Posted By: RoadBlock

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/08/13 05:01 AM

yeah do something regional so everyone can be apart of it. and maybe have a bi-yearly meeting and have a bunch of different speakers and such. Not so much like a GTG as more of a convention maybe.

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/09/13 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: m@r
I would join a kayak fishing club if it had a really good private lake...

I think just about anyone would in that case. But, the dues for those clubs are steep!
Posted By: flyfshrgrl

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/09/13 04:56 AM

I like the idea, Jerry. Anything that gets people out and fishing sounds positive to me.
Posted By: liveoutloud

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/09/13 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: txkayaker

I'd be all over it if it was closer to home. Great idea. I could use the info and advise. I've never been in a kayak until a couple weeks ago, and would love to connect with other kayakers close to me.

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/14/13 05:04 AM

There seems to be some interest so let me hammer out some details. More to come. popcorn2
Posted By: fishin_on_credit88

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/14/13 05:40 AM

i'd be interested i do get tired of fishing alone sometimes
Posted By: RogerB

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/14/13 02:30 PM

Count me in.

Originally Posted By: lconn4
I think there should be an Independant Kayak Fishing Club, made up of guys/gals that don't join clubs

That's funny. smile
Posted By: n2fishin

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/14/13 03:40 PM

I would be very interested

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/14/13 10:41 PM

I think there should be an Independant Kayak Fishing Club, made up of guys/gals that don't join clubs

I think there are several million of these out there. Fellowship with other kayakers is more fun than being a closet kayaker! The popularity of this forum proves that.
Posted By: AeroAgg06

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/14/13 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Rev TCF

I think there are several million of these out there. Fellowship with other kayakers is more fun than being a closet kayaker! The popularity of this forum proves that.

this x10

I have met many great people since i started kayaking a few months ago. One of the greatest things about kayaking so far
Posted By: Cudadude

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/15/13 12:16 PM

I'm down for some fellowship on the water. No rules just plain fun.
Never was good at following rules. bolt
Mom always said, life's like a box of mixed chocolate,you never know what cha get. scared
Posted By: PiePuncher

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/15/13 12:32 PM

I'm always down to get out and fish with a group of guys.
I'm definitely not a bass fisherman, so tournaments with different types of fish would be good.
Meetings at different locations would also be nice in order to get more people involved. Not everyone can make it to north Dallas
Posted By: rhoffart

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/15/13 01:07 PM

Maybe a Hill Country Chapter ... if so I'm in smile
Posted By: MikeONeill

Re: Kayak Fishing Club - 08/15/13 04:54 PM

Fellowship, speakers , meetings, discounts, fishing, multi species . What's not to like? I'd be in. Might get lucky, learn something and catch some. Was somebody else that said: I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member. It was Groucho Marx - right - not me. fish
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum