Texas Fishing Forum

What are we hauling our kayaks with?

Posted By: Shaun Russell

What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 04:58 PM

I thought it would be neat to see here on the forums the different ways we are all getting our kayaks from the garage to the water.
I'm currently using my 2003 4X4 Ram p/u but am going to make a change soon. The gas cost is putting a real [censored] in me being able to go as far and a much as I want to. I bought a lightweight trailer the other day and am going to down size to a smaller vehicle soon that can pull it with better mpg.

But for now I have the ole' grey mule!
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 05:14 PM

2000 chevy 2500. The gas mileage is awful.
Posted By: Yak FinAddic

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 05:28 PM

I run a gas hog too, 2000 Chevy Tahoe. I am not sure it would be possible for me to downsize but I have considered a mini truck, I would loose the option to haul multiple PAs.

This pic is of JT's setup in the background silver Acura sedan. It shows that a PA 12 is able to be car topped ;-)
Posted By: crabtrap

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 05:28 PM

2006 Scion XB, solid 98 HP! LOL I either car top with Yakima rack or (more often) pull a trailer with 1 or 2 kayaks onboard. I pull it at 60-80 MPH all day long running the A/C and get 26-30 MPG. Plenty quick off the line too. That's the whole deal about kayak fishing...no need for the big truck to haul. I do have a big truck but it sits more than it goes with gas prices the way they are.
EDIT- dang , look at that car squat with that load on the roof. He'd better check the roof capacity as car's aren't rated to have much on top
Posted By: SpoiledFish

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 05:31 PM

2008 Scion xB....Rhino Rack 2500 series roof rack to tote my Slayer 12.....
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 05:43 PM

2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax 4X4 crew, I just throw the Ride 135 in the back and I'm off!
Posted By: Neumie

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 05:47 PM

Chevy Silverado and custom kayak trailer with lots of goodies. Super efficient going down the road. Wait, no it's not; not even in the least bit.

Posted By: christian myrick

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Neumie
Chevy Silverado and custom kayak trailer with lots of goodies. Super efficient going down the road. Wait, no it's not; not even in the least bit.

Now that trailer is the berries! I drool over it every gtg. Very nice neumie.
Posted By: skeeteroneal

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 06:18 PM

Yeah saw Neumie's trailer below PK this winter. It is sweet. Def want to pick His brain in a few years when the kids are old enough to yak and we add to the fleet. I drive a 2007 GMC Crewcab 4x4 and just throw the yaks in the back.
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 06:56 PM

I've got a rack that I put in the back of my 2500hd diesel. Works great for my PA14. Truck gets good enough fuel economy for my liking. Thought about getting a trailer for it but like the rack better.

Posted By: Neumie

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 07:03 PM

Thanks guys. It's not the most efficient trailer to pull down the road, and it's not a trailer for everyone, but I love it.

Here's a slideshow of the entire build process: CLICK
Posted By: brownhauler

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 07:17 PM

This is what u call fuel efficient till u put that boat on top!

[img]http://instagram.com/p/arCiN5HWDq/[/img]
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 07:19 PM

I have a 15 year-old Toyota T100. It's bulletproof. I can widen the bed extender and carry both of my kayaks.

Posted By: Robbie Milam

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 07:30 PM

Cool trailer Shaun
Posted By: nemo_miller

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 07:35 PM

01 Tacoma with a 4 banger, manual. Gets about 24 mpg loaded with 2 yaks and gear.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 08:05 PM

2005 AWD Subaru Legacy hauling an 8ft trailer I bought from a trailer builder in Copeville. The Subaru gets about 27mpg hauling the trailer+kayak. The Subaru and trailer are two of the best things I've ever purchased--lots of miles on both.

Posted By: RedShadWorm

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 08:08 PM

I had a boat trailer I had put PVC runners on. I ended up not really using the trailer.

I sold that and now carry the PA and outback on a bed extender in the back of a Ford F150.

I'd love to get better fuel economy but get a lot of use out of the truck.
Posted By: KBW

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 08:29 PM

Just bought a 2000 Trooper just for beach fishing.
Looking at a Thull rack for the top.
Have been using my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel 4x4 and a converted 8" trailer.
Posted By: Tejas Trofeo

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 08:37 PM

03' F-150 super crew.

throw the ride 115 in the bed and I'm off.

shaun, I like that trailer....where did you get it?
Posted By: JRNissley

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 09:22 PM

For most transports, it's with a beat up Volkwagen Jetta of the 2003 vintage. I still get 34mpg WITH the boat on the top. smile

The car is ugly as sin, sounds like an RC car, and impedes my desire to get a truck (I can't justify the truck if the car won't die, and VW's don't die quickly). However, its one saving grace... the 34 mpg WITH the yak on top. smile

For the cross-country trips, I put the yak on our Ford Explorer (2008). I only get 22-25mpg with that when the yak is on. I've been thinking heavily about investing in a light trailier for next year's pilgrimage. The only think giving me pause is that I worry that not all the places we go (I'm gone for a month hopping across various states) will be "trailer friendly." Have y'all had a lot of experience with that?
Posted By: pyledriver

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 09:48 PM

1500hd crew cab 4x4. I don't pass many gas stations but its comfortable and I like it. I used to have several vehicles but decided that with insurance, maintenance and making sure to keep them driven enough not to run bad was a PITA and a bigger money pit than one gas guzzler! It has a low profile tool box and a wide area at the top of the tailgate. I put the kayak up high on the tailgate and toolbox and most couldn't hit it. The downside is that if somebody does hit it, it'll come right through the back window!
Posted By: RogerB

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 11:10 PM

Nice trailer Shaun!

I use this. The real plus of the truck is there is an elevated sleeping platform in the back so I can store stuff underneath and still have room on top to sleep. Can stop anywhere and take a nap (important at my age smile ) or stay the night if needed. The wife and I camp out of it......last trip was 2 weeks in New Mexico dry camped next to a trout stream. Beats a tent especially in colder or bad weather and we can still get the truck off road some without worrying about pulling something as large as a travel trailer. The kayak trailer is a Shorelander single PWC trailer.

Since this pic, I have added a Yakima 8' Rocketbox to store rods in that mounts to the rack on the shell.

On the subject of trailers, my plan is to modify this trailer or get another and modify it to hold either a pair of CT90's or my XR650L on the bottom, 2 yaks on top and some accessories like a storage box and propane setup for cooking and hot showers.
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 11:25 PM

Has anyone found a deal on the Yakima trailer? I like them a lot, but I don't know that I like them $2K worth. For now, it's car topping for me.
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: FishAll50

On the subject of trailers, my plan is to modify this trailer or get another and modify it to hold either a pair of CT90's or my XR650L on the bottom, 2 yaks on top and some accessories like a storage box and propane setup for cooking and hot showers.

CT90s! Originals or knock-offs? Man, you are a renaissance man! Nice setup...

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: JRNissley
I've been thinking heavily about investing in a light trailier for next year's pilgrimage. The only think giving me pause is that I worry that not all the places we go (I'm gone for a month hopping across various states) will be "trailer friendly." Have y'all had a lot of experience with that?

The same issues with any trailer - you need extra parking space, you can't get off-road as easily as if you didn't have it, it's an extra "thing" to go wrong - flats, etc. As far as places "not taking" a trailer, I've never had that problem.....parking is usually the only hassle. While I love my trailer for the ease of keeping my yak on it and it's a quick launch/load, if I had a vehicle I could easily cartop on and was only carrying one, I prob would. Especially if I was driving a day or more for each yak unload/load event. For me however, it is too difficult to load to my truck and esp since I eventually want to carry 2 yaks and additional stuff like a motorcycle(s) on longer trips, I will stick with a trailer. YMMV.

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/04/13 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: HankS

CT90s! Originals or knock-offs? Man, you are a renaissance man! Nice setup...

Ha! Originals. I have one currently - a 1970 Model - pretty nice and runs good. I'm always on the lookout for another. The 650 does a nice job of two-upping even on mountain trails and the wife is a good passenger - it prob makes more sense although the CT's would be fun around campgrounds/go fishing/etc.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 12:05 AM

Wham!
Posted By: Cudadude

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 01:32 AM

I haul all mine on a TrailEx trailer, up to four at one time.
The guy I purchased mine from added two tool boxes.

http://www.trailex.com/SUT-250-M2.cfm
Posted By: Jerry Hamon

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 01:45 AM

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 02:15 AM

Rev, do you have any close-ups of the upper support?
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 02:28 AM

Nice trailer Shaun!

I use this. The real plus of the truck is there is an elevated sleeping platform in the back so I can store stuff underneath and still have room on top to sleep. Can stop anywhere and take a nap (important at my age smile ) or stay the night if needed. The wife and I camp out of it......last trip was 2 weeks in New Mexico dry camped next to a trout stream. Beats a tent especially in colder or bad weather and we can still get the truck off road some without worrying about pulling something as large as a travel trailer. The kayak trailer is a Shorelander single PWC trailer.

Since this pic, I have added a Yakima 8' Rocketbox to store rods in that mounts to the rack on the shell.

Do you have any pics inside the camper? I have the same truck and have thought about doing something similar.
Posted By: PatchesMark

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 02:32 AM

NICE TRUCK NUEMIE!
Originally Posted By: christian myrick

Now that trailer is the berries! I drool over it every gtg. Very nice neumie.
Posted By: PatchesMark

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 02:33 AM

I can help with all vehicles ! www.eldoradochevy.com
(972)841-3022 Mark
Posted By: pelican

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 02:37 AM

If I'm hauling more than one yak or camping I use my Ugly A$$ trailer.

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 02:51 AM

Rev, do you have any close-ups of the upper support?

I'll have to look through my pictures.

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: pelican
If I'm hauling more than one yak or camping I use my Ugly A$$ trailer.

It doesn't look ugly. It does look functional!
Posted By: BassMaster Payne

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 02:53 AM

2008 Chevy Silverado. Just throw the yak in the back and im good to go! Only gets about 13 mpg but I love it.
Posted By: APynckel

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 03:01 AM

Ride 135 on top of a Lexus IS250 smile

Still gets 28mpg at 70mph
Posted By: JRNissley

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 03:06 AM

The same issues with any trailer - you need extra parking space, you can't get off-road as easily as if you didn't have it, it's an extra "thing" to go wrong - flats, etc. As far as places "not taking" a trailer, I've never had that problem.....parking is usually the only hassle. While I love my trailer for the ease of keeping my yak on it and it's a quick launch/load, if I had a vehicle I could easily cartop on and was only carrying one, I prob would. Especially if I was driving a day or more for each yak unload/load event. For me however, it is too difficult to load to my truck and esp since I eventually want to carry 2 yaks and additional stuff like a motorcycle(s) on longer trips, I will stick with a trailer. YMMV.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: N.Tex_paddler
Do you have any pics inside the camper? I have the same truck and have thought about doing something similar.

Brief description. 2x4 cross braces from each side resting in the pockets designed into the bed. 3/4" plywood for top - 2 pieces cut length of vehicle so they can be easily removed. Slid a 2x8(?) down the middle for additional support. Hatches cut into front part so I can get to front of bed if needed without removing the plywood. Plywood is covered with outdoor carpet. I used to use therm-a-rest pads under a sleeping bag which was ok but have since put a full size matress in and what a difference......very comfortable. I use long clear boxes underneath for storage and tie off a small rope for easy retrieval (not shown in pic). Items infrequently needed (recovery tools, tow ropes, etc.) go in first. Other - I made doubled up black curtains for the windows (not shown) - velcro strips on them that stick to the carpeted shell so they come on and off easily - allows a total blackout and keeps the boogeyman from peaking in. A bedliner also keeps the back of the truck a lot cleaner than without. I also did extensive sealing of the rear tailgate to keep it as dust free as possible. I plan to add some 12v electrical outlets in the back along with LED lighting strips and a convertor - possibly put the camper on its own battery.

Yes, I usually cover the mattress. smile

The platform is designed to be fairly easy to remove but the reality is for bigger items I need to haul, I usually use a trailer instead of removing the platform. Admittedly, it can be inconvenient at times. However, since the platform is about level with the top of the tailgate, you CAN slide a kayak in and leave the shell back window open if you don't want to use a trailer. I do that at times with a 14' boat.

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 04:09 AM

Thanks guys. It's not the most efficient trailer to pull down the road, and it's not a trailer for everyone, but I love it.

Here's a slideshow of the entire build process: CLICK

Went through the slideshow. Nice work and great documentation! Sweet trailer.
Posted By: shanedaviesguide.com

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 04:47 AM

I log well over 30,000 miles a year hauling kayaks/canoes from one Texas river to the other.

My custom kayak rack for my 1995 Toyota T-100 4x4 SR5 extra cab was built by CLS Metal Fab in Forest Hills, Tx. Max capacity is 750 lbs.

Not having to deal with a trailer gives me added reliability and a more manageable wheel base for accessing and navigating remote/private river launches. fish
Posted By: Todd™

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 04:51 AM

Nice trailer Shaun. You could pull that with anything.

I like your setup FishAll50.

rolfmaoI think you got room for a couple more Brian.
Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian
Wham!
Posted By: fredfarmer

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 12:17 PM

I still have the trailer but I traded the Tacoma in for an FJ...

I have some Malone Sea Wings to mount on the trailer for aesthetics, just have not had time to mount them. They will be removable as they will limit the "top shelf" to just two yaks.
Posted By: Federale

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 02:13 PM

1995 2nd gen Toyota 4runner 4WD

I recently fabed custom 66" crossbars

Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 02:16 PM

2006 Ford Fusion 4cyl auto. Car top it right now using the cheapo foam blocks and I bought tie straps for the hood/ trunk areas that mounted with existing bolts that I use to strap the yak down. Next purchase is goign to be an actual roof rack with an actual kayak carrier accesory. And later on down the road I plan I having a hidden hitch installed and getting a trailer.

Posted By: RealBigReel

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 02:45 PM

Chevy S10 with my kayak STRIPER:

STRIPER is 15'X28". Custom cooler is loaded with ice packs on the way out. Ice packs plus fish on the way back. So balance is not a problem.
Posted By: The Ninja

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/05/13 08:17 PM

"Yak Rig" ...... Soon will have a matching trailer with matching wheels and tires and a Yakima load warrior rack on trailer with crossbars.
Posted By: Federale

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/06/13 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: The Ninja
"Yak Rig" ...... Soon will have a matching trailer with matching wheels and tires and a Yakima load warrior rack on trailer with crossbars.

That's a very nice 1st gen 4runner.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/06/13 03:01 AM

I carry mine on my bicycle.

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/06/13 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: rmillertx778

+1 - those are great vehicles and looks like that one is in excellent shape. Nice truck Ninja - how many miles on it now?
Posted By: Daveg99

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/06/13 01:07 PM

F150 FX4
Posted By: RoadBlock

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/06/13 06:14 PM

My rig is pretty modest, just a 05 Chevy Trailblazer and a trailer that I built from a Harbor Freight trailer that was given to me by RevTCF, not much but it gets the job done. hopefully the trailblazer will be replaced with a truck soon.

Posted By: Michael Ray

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/06/13 10:11 PM

[url=[URL=http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/mray190/media/IMG00181_zps997e4f6c.jpg.html][/url]]Photobucket[/url]
Old truck 2004 FX4 it got 12 mpg

[url=[URL=http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/mray190/media/18f11c73-40bd-4983-a7e9-70968820da3c_zps9704351f.jpg.html][/url]]Photobucket[/url]
New truck 2012 4x4 EcoBoost it gets 19 mpg now I can go a lot more.
Posted By: paddling oar's

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/07/13 02:44 AM

Your old trailer! wink
Posted By: Razzorduck

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/07/13 03:11 AM

I just slide my Drifter into my truck bed and off we go. With all my coastal trips we are pushing 30k together. Well the boat and the wife unit.
Posted By: District Paddle

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/07/13 04:22 AM

Posted By: The Ninja

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/07/13 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: rmillertx778

+1 - those are great vehicles and looks like that one is in excellent shape. Nice truck Ninja - how many miles on it now?

230000 miles. But I gave her a new motor,tranny,transfercase, soon to have lift kit and 33's. she was in bad bad shape when I got her. Young kid had it and was trying to learn how to turn a wrench on it. Man he destroyed the electrical system in it.
Thx for the compliments on the old "Yak Rig" guys.

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/08/13 10:29 AM

Very nice rides.

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/08/13 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: n2bassfishing
Cool trailer Shaun

Thanks Rob

Originally Posted By: txtrophy
03' F-150 super crew.

throw the ride 115 in the bed and I'm off.

shaun, I like that trailer....where did you get it?
We sell them at Mariner Sails.

Quote:
Has anyone found a deal on the Yakima trailer? I like them a lot, but I don't know that I like them $2K worth. For now, it's car topping for me.

I have only seen one for sale on the forums in the last year and a half. They seem to retain there value very well though. I had to save a year to get mine. But it was well worth the wait.
Posted By: PiePuncher

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/08/13 11:51 AM

I have been using noodles on the jeep too for yak transport. Anyone have a better cheap alternative for the jeep? The suburban would make transport easy but its gas mileage is horrible

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/08/13 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: paddling oar's
Your old trailer! wink

Now that is one awesome looking trailer. thumb

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/08/13 06:51 PM

I noticed lots of you guys don't have straps to your bow or stern... Are you notwworried about the yaks going forward or back?
Posted By: AeroAgg06

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/08/13 07:02 PM

Not sure about others, but i have 2 straps running length-wise holding it in the bed of my truck.... I am paranoid about things like that though
Posted By: Kuel

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/15/13 11:32 PM

Any body using this?

Harbor Freight Ladder Truck Half Rack

How is it? Does it come out easily? I'd probably only want the rack on if I'm actually going somewhere with kayak.
Posted By: Cudadude

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/16/13 12:35 AM

Posted By: texas_online

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/16/13 12:56 PM

Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/16/13 01:50 PM

I'm pretty sure if we'd had more, they'd been in there somewhere. We also had a turkey fryer, several coolers, and some random gear in the bed of that truck as well... I'm thinking my dad taught the Beverly Hillbillies how to load their truck when they moved out west.

Originally Posted By: Todd™
Nice trailer Shaun. You could pull that with anything.

I like your setup FishAll50.

rolfmaoI think you got room for a couple more Brian.
Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian
Wham!

Re: What are we hauling our kayaks with? - 08/18/13 03:52 PM

I took the yak out w no noodles yesterday and the yak fits the jeep solid without noodles. I just laid it right on top of my safari top. I had zero issues and think I'm done using noodles.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum