Texas Fishing Forum

Thinking of getting a yak

Posted By: Fishing Fester

Thinking of getting a yak - 07/30/13 04:05 PM

Just sold my boat, and im thinking of getting a kayak, because i cant quit fishing. I have no idea where to even start. Im partial to standing when fishing as thats all ive ever done. Is there a model out there where i could do this? Also price ranges, and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Thinking of getting a yak - 07/30/13 04:11 PM

Lots of online reading available. A sit-on-top will be more geared for fishing than a sit-inside.

These might be useful:
http://www.austinkayak.com/p/articles See the bit on choosing a kayak.

http://www.austinkayak.com/selector/kayak#!

Lots of good reading also at www.texaskayakfisherman.com
Posted By: AeroAgg06

Re: Thinking of getting a yak - 07/30/13 04:12 PM

What type of waters are you looking to fish (rivers, lakes, salt, shallows)?

How much do you weigh and how much gear do you want to bring with you?

Since you said you like to stand, i assume that stability is more important than speed (these are direct trade-offs).

Price ranges for new ones of good quality start around 600 or so and go up to about 3000.

Once you can give us some answers to the above questions, some yakkers that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in (im sure) with suggestions
Posted By: Fishing Fester

Re: Thinking of getting a yak - 07/30/13 04:38 PM

Im 6'1 and 240. So a large guy. Id have no less than 3 rods, and a large over the shoulder tackle bag. I really dont need to go fast, so stability is a big factor for me. Id be fishing mostly lakes of small to medium size. Bass fishing is my addiction, but i occasionally will fish for cats when im not noodling!
Posted By: JOED214

Re: Thinking of getting a yak - 07/30/13 04:48 PM

KC K 12 and the NuCanoe Frontier are the two most stable big man yaks out there. I would be more then happy to set you up a demo woth both. Ofcourse there are other options out there but these are the two most stable I can think of.
Posted By: AeroAgg06

Re: Thinking of getting a yak - 07/30/13 04:57 PM

With all that tackle + you, i wouldn't look for anything rated than less than about 450 pounds. Lots of options out there that will fit that bill.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum