Texas Fishing Forum

Marble Falls Yak fishing

Posted By: Cole G

Marble Falls Yak fishing - 07/01/13 08:14 PM

Going to be doing a bit of kayak fishing on Marble Falls, I've heard there are some buffalo in that lake but I am a bit clueless on how bass are in there. Does anybody know some spots for bass or buffalo and how should I rig up for buffalo? I'm planning on using a 6'6 inferno rod, with an Abu Garcia S30, currently I have 8 pound flurocarbon on that reel, about 125 yards. What kind of leader, bait, tackle, and set up should I use to land one of these?
Posted By: YakFishField

Re: Marble Falls Yak fishing - 07/01/13 09:04 PM

8# is going to be a whipping if you hook into a decent buffalo... they get rather large. I caught a ~30lb grass carp on 12# test and it took me half an hour to get into the boat. You can see the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXVD8pda2Rw

Seems like bread balls and sweet corn are always safe bets for any type of carp, and readily available/cheap.

Re: Marble Falls Yak fishing - 07/02/13 12:03 AM

is there any leader recommendations to put on to loosen that strain?
Posted By: Tejas Trofeo

Re: Marble Falls Yak fishing - 07/02/13 12:26 AM

lots of buffalo and even freshwater drum.

we normally catch the buffs with a 1000 grain arrow launched from a AMS compound bow
Posted By: Coach P

Re: Marble Falls Yak fishing - 07/02/13 12:34 AM

raw pizza dough was always my go to bait when i fished for carp. It stays on the hook well, and even sinks so you could fish it with just a bare hook and no weight. The trick is finding a place to get it.

Honestly, most pizza places throw out huge bags of it every night. But if dumpster diving isn't your cup of tea, I've had success just going inside and asking the manager for a handful or two of scraps.

Usually they will precut the crusts after they roll them out. All the scraps go in the trash. I've used it fresh or after it rises over night. Tear off a chunk about the size of a quarter, ball it around a hook and compress it a bit. Then just lob it out and wait. Good luck.

Re: Marble Falls Yak fishing - 07/02/13 05:45 PM

what size leader should I put above the bread or dough or other grain, and how should I weight it? just free line or a split shot and let it sink?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum