Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing Trip Question

Posted By: cuban

Fishing Trip Question - 06/15/13 04:49 PM

I thinking for Father's Day taking my dad on a camping/kayaking trip down the Brazos. I'll probably use Rochelle's service an put in basically at the PK dam. Do y'all know if the water is flowing on the Brazos? How's the fishing do you recommend any specific lures, I mostly fish for catfish but I also like bass fishing as well? For the last question is there any other river that isn't to far from the Dallas area that you would recommend besides the Brazos for a kayak/camping trip?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help.
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Fishing Trip Question - 06/15/13 05:02 PM

Right now the flow on the Brazos is about 100cfs. That's enough water to keep you from dragging, but not much of a current to push you along, you'll be paddling a lot, especially where there's a headwind. Try to make it a 2 night trip or you'll be wore out and not have time to fish.
I was there last weekend and the catfish were biting good, not much else.
The Kiamichi R. in Ok is about 3 hours from Dallas. There's a nice campground with shuttle service there. There's also the Brazos below Whitney and below Granbury but the flows there are low except for when Whitney has dam releases.
Have fun and catch a bunch.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Fishing Trip Question - 06/15/13 05:03 PM

I have been on the Brazos below PK several times lately. The water is flowing good but you will still need to portage at times. The fishing hasn't been worth a darn for me. In the past I have caught a little bit of everything out there. The last few trips I've have only mangaged 1 or 2 very small bass and a few sunfish. Last trip I only caught a few sunnies. I'm seeing carp/gar but really nothing else. Crawfish lures seem to do well out there.
Posted By: cuban

Re: Fishing Trip Question - 06/15/13 05:05 PM

Thanks for the help.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum