Texas Fishing Forum

Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit

Posted By: J Barlow

Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/11/13 10:06 PM

Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit...
Do you guys carry one? If so what is in it?
Posted By: AeroAgg06

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/11/13 10:10 PM

Nope... but im a newbie and stupid.

I plan to get some Purell to bring with me to put on if i get a hook in my hand or get finned
Posted By: PatchesMark

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/11/13 10:12 PM

Yep!
Dykes, antiseptic, bandaids, liquid bandage, bug off
Posted By: C-Frog

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/11/13 10:14 PM

I always carry one in a dry bag in my hull. I keep superglue for minor cuts and scrapes, Tylenol, band aids, extra 550 para cord, matches, antibacterial ointment, dry socks, rain jacket, fire starter, and a few other little things. Check out this link for info about wound treatment on the water.
http://www.yaksmack.com/2013/04/acute-wound-care.html
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/11/13 10:55 PM

I've got one for freshwater which is very simple. It's one of the $19.99 first aid kits from Walmart. My saltwater one is the same with a few items added in. One of them being an EPIRB. My flare gun also travels with me.
Posted By: gutcheck

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/11/13 10:57 PM

Side cutters.....scared
Posted By: RealBigReel

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/11/13 11:42 PM

Toilet paper. Sometimes those public bathrooms are out.
Knife to cut hooks out of clothes.
Something to cut hooks out of you.
Band-Aids
Styptic
Neosporin
Suture
Gauze
Tape
Posted By: Cudadude

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/11/13 11:52 PM

Always carry a first aid kit in my yaks. And blasting paper for when I fish with Txwhitacre. bolt
Posted By: onebaddj

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/12/13 03:16 AM

I throw my first aid kit from the truck in there and my hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer in a fresh cut or hook hole burns like all get out but its alot better than a bacterial infection that can kill you. The kit is the one walmart sells for $15 and comes in a plastic box. Nice little kit.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/12/13 09:39 PM

Super glue, beer and cigs. If I need more than that...its bad.
Posted By: YakFishField

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/12/13 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: christian myrick
Super glue, beer and cigs. If I need more than that...its bad.

You guys think he's joking. rolfmao

I keep a first aid kit that comes in a waterproof bag that I bought at Academy for about $19.99. I also carry a snake bite kit anytime I'm camping or yakking. Screw snakes.
Posted By: PatchesMark

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/12/13 09:45 PM

Hey Bobby, they only eat a little at a time smile
Posted By: Big redneck

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/13/13 12:50 AM

First aid, fire starter, T shirt, sweats, rain gear, sunscreen, multi tool, super glue, para cord, duct tape, TP, multi size zip ties, electrical tape, extra batteries, skeeter repellant, and extra bullets. All in a dry bag that weighs 6 pounds, it never leaves the yak. I'm sure there's a few other little things in the bag, I like to be somewhat prepared.
Posted By: 1st Class Tackle

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/13/13 06:11 PM

Eppie pin and hydrocodone for those doing remote trips can save a life.

Bandages, butterflies, alchol pads, gauze, mole skin, Burn Cream, Pain relieving oinment, sun tan lotion, camp soap, Can Opener.

Fire starter kit, dry kindling, striker knife, trash bag

Rain Poncho, Space blanket, whistle, Double edged dive knife

Asprin, bug bite, poison ivy/oak ointment

Apsrin IBProfin Allergy pills.

Razor, spare cap light

I think that does it lol. I dont mess around when it comes to first aid. I have been developing this kit as my one stop shop go anywhere do anything.

The coast, the day trip and the week long camping trip to the devils this kit can do it.

I house all of it in a small dry box that mounts to my yak.
Posted By: C-Frog

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/13/13 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: 1st Class Tackle

Both of these require a prescription. How do you get around that?

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/13/13 06:49 PM

Man. Its like you dudes are going down the amazon river or something. Not saying I don't believe prep is good...it is but some of these posts sound like a battle field medic. For an afternoon of fishing at your local lake or river how much is needed. I understand remote trips and such but how much more than a first aid kit is really needed?

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/14/13 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: C-Frog

Carefully is the honest anwser.

My fiance and kiddo are able to get both for themselves and if I need one I have access.

However I have friends that simply explain to their doctor their needs. If you ever have to use the eppie pin you will have one heck of a story so it isnt like your going to be back every few months getting a new one. Most doctors can justify this and will write a perscription but if your not putting yourself in the wilds or have a high allergy risk then dont be upset when your doctor refuses your request.

I agree whole heartedly I carry too much stuff and my 1st aid kit is no different. However Im working on loosing weight elsewhere before I ever concider removing anything out of my 1st aid box for me its about piece of mind.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/14/13 10:26 PM

I don't carry much emergency stuff until summertime. Once the sweat starts pouring I usually have a bottle of Bausch and Lomb eye wash. Have been near blinded twice when the sunscreen and deet ran into my eyes in the hot sun.

http://www.bausch.com/en/Our-Products/Eye-Wash/collyrium
Posted By: Pop1655

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/15/13 12:21 PM

My fiance and kiddo are able to get both for themselves and if I need one I have access.

However I have friends that simply explain to their doctor their needs. If you ever have to use the eppie pin you will have one heck of a story so it isnt like your going to be back every few months getting a new one. Most doctors can justify this and will write a perscription but if your not putting yourself in the wilds or have a high allergy risk then dont be upset when your doctor refuses your request.

I agree whole heartedly I carry too much stuff and my 1st aid kit is no different. However Im working on loosing weight elsewhere before I ever concider removing anything out of my 1st aid box for me its about piece of mind.

This is a good idea for yourself and also for a guest who may not realize they need one. Once you've been in the position and "seen the need" you won't leave home without one. Easy to get a script. Just explain and ask.

At the minimum, carry some liquid Benadryl.
It'll get you a long ways.

My addition to the suggestion box is Windex.
Regular, original. It's the ammonia you're looking for.

A liberal spraying of Windex on a bee, wasp or scorpion bite neutralizes the sting and the affects almost immediately.
It works GREAT!

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/15/13 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Pop1655

This is a good idea for yourself and also for a guest who may not realize they need one. Once you've been in the position and "seen the need" you won't leave home without one. Easy to get a script. Just explain and ask.

At the minimum, carry some liquid Benadryl.
It'll get you a long ways.

My addition to the suggestion box is Windex.
Regular, original. It's the ammonia you're looking for.

A liberal spraying of Windex on a bee, wasp or scorpion bite neutralizes the sting and the affects almost immediately.
It works GREAT!

Wow! Windex?!?!?! Very intresting. Even if you don't carry in the yak its good info. Thanks.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/15/13 04:43 PM

Very seldom do I bring one in the yak. Most of the time I'm by myself, so as long as I can keep myself from getting hurt too far away from the truck I'll be fine. However when I do, it consist of neosporin, band-aids, maybe some advil, alcohol pads, and burn ointment, probably a good bit Pendleton too.

I'd be willing to bet either getting super sunburned, or touching something too hot while cooking happens to someone on every overnight trip so burn ointment is a biggie.

Re: Kayakers Emergency / First Aid Kit - 06/16/13 04:45 PM

Finale bit in my first aid kit I must have pain relieving antiseptic cream. It makes little annoying scrapes go away in seconds and it stops the flesh eating bacteria which is my only real concern. The pain reliever is a nice bonus though.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum