Texas Fishing Forum

LSC: The Chase

Posted By: B_Rod

LSC: The Chase - 06/02/13 10:04 PM

Not kayak related, but many of you know my son and have fished with him. Much to his mother’s consternation, Dan is a storm chaser. He’s been chasing for about two years now, but because I know he’s got a good head on his shoulders, I try not to worry too much about his somewhat dangerous pursuit (literally). But he got a little closer to Friday’s tornadoes in central Oklahoma than he’d intended to, and like a lot of storm chasers today, he may be re-evaluating how he goes about the business of chasing storms. This is the story of that chase. LSC: The Chase
Posted By: lconn4

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/02/13 10:28 PM

Incredible story!
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/02/13 11:11 PM

Crazy.
I have been close to a twister but never in one.
Sounds like a close One.
Posted By: pontiactech

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/03/13 12:46 AM

Great story glad they are safe!
Posted By: TexasSteve

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/03/13 01:26 AM

Glad he was unharmed. Been a tough season to say the least.
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/03/13 02:09 AM

Cool story.
Posted By: Lusca

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/03/13 02:15 AM

eek scary stuff. Great writeup and pictures, hard to imagine being that close to a raging tornado.

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/04/13 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: TexasSteve
Glad he was unharmed. Been a tough season to say the least.

Thanks, guys. This has been an absolutely brutal storm season for Oklahoma. Dan was in Moore, OK the weekend before helping with the clean up, and some of the damage pics he has are unbelievable. We're not going to see that type of wide spread damage with Friday's storms, but I predict it will be one of the most studied storms ever. It may ultimately change the way tornado warnings are provided, especially near major metropolitan areas like OKC where few people have real tornado shelters.

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/04/13 01:19 AM

telling folks to get in their cars and leave is not wise IMO. they should go underground IMO. its the fastest & safest place to be IMO. those small underground concrete shelters some have in their garage are too cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXLMKXOk7s
saw the news reports about those 3 storm chasers. hats off to them.
one of the still living brothers of the 3 said his brother had a passion for storm chasin and that was the best way for him to go in his opinion. they are Heroes to me.
takes a certain somethin to chase those storms & only a few have it.
thank the Lord for em. u got quit a young man brod.
Posted By: PayneFish

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/04/13 03:34 AM

Glad Dan is safe. Such a scary few minutes.
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/04/13 04:01 AM

I was born and raised up there, lived there until after college. I've been in a lot of of them, but the worst (exposure wise, not intensity or strength wise) was one night I was driving home from work and I saw one coming up the highway at me moving fast. I was in my CJ7 and I drove off the road into a creek bed. It went right over the top of me and sucked the soft top right off the jeep.

I'm glad to hear that your son is ok, BRod. Im sure he will use the wisdom gained from this experence to stay safer in the future.
Posted By: DevilDoc

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/04/13 05:13 AM

Wow cool story. Glad they are OK.
Posted By: CanadiYak

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/04/13 07:29 AM

Scary glad he's ok Bert

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/05/13 12:23 AM

The El Reno tornado was upgraded to an EF-5 today with winds topping 260 MPH and over 2 miles wide at its widest point. That's absolutely crazy. Thanks God its track was primarily in a rural area.
Posted By: APynckel

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/05/13 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: B_Rod
The El Reno tornado was upgraded to an EF-5 today with winds topping 260 MPH and over 2 miles wide at its widest point. That's absolutely crazy. Thanks God its track was primarily in a rural area.

Heck, I kinda wish it wasn't. Rural folk tend to understand how life works. Next time, aim these things at Sheila Jackson Lee's district.
Posted By: fishinWOT

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/05/13 08:27 PM

Thanks everyone, it was quite the experience! I wont stop chasing, but I dont care to ever be inside of a tornado again.

Also the tornado was indeed upgraded to EF-5 but the winds were documented at 296 MPH and 2.6 Miles at its widest point. This makes it the largest tornado ever documented in history.

If you care to watch here is the video I took just after we had gotten away from the tornado. And I apologize in advance, I had quite a bit of adrenaline flowing through me. *MINOR LANGUAGE WARNING*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgWoZHjgzjw

Re: LSC: The Chase - 06/06/13 01:48 AM

amazing!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum