Texas Fishing Forum

Alligator gar

Posted By: Lusca

Alligator gar - 06/02/13 05:01 PM

After about a year long hiatus, I've been anxious to get back after the gator gar. My buddy skeeteroneal was game so I put a couple carp on ice Friday in preparation. The weather forecasts called for 20-30mph wind and that's exactly what we got. It wasn't much fun paddling into that much headwind, but I still got the big silly grin on my face as I put the big guns slinger the Penn reels and broom stick sized rods in the rod holders! grin Then there's the 9/o or larger hooks in a pound or two of carp steak... thumb It turned out to be very slow fishing. The first spot we never got a run or saw any gators roll. We paddled on the the next spot and I finally spotted a nice one roll. But after no runs on the lines we both were getting discouraged. Skeeter decided to try a little further down the hole. I stuck it out a bit longer before I decided to do the same. Cranked in my first bait. Then as I took up the slack on the 2nd, much to my surprise all of a sudden the yak turned smartly. The line peeled against the drag and I was getting pulled along faster than I can paddle on the "sleigh ride" coolio After a good first run, the fish then hugged the bottom and I got the first twinge of worry. I wasn't sure how big this one was, but skeeter and I had discussed on the drive about fighting one from the yak and not on anchor. My fear being that it's easy to get right over the fish and have it jump, possibly landing on the yak or hitting one of us in the process. The fight continued for several minutes with me leaning on the fish as much as I dared with the rod in a scary arc. Several times I'd get the fish up enough to have the leader out of the water only to have it lunge and peel off a few yards of drag. Then it towed me around the hole near an overhanging tree before it finally tired. That's about the time the hair on my neck stood on end as I raised the fish and had it on the surface right alongside the kayak. It was clearly a good size fish and now it was just a matter of working towards the bank to land it safely. I know from my previous experience with these fish, they always seem to save a little energy for a last desperate attempt at freedom at the end when you think they're done. Thankfully, it didn't jump or jerk me off balance, but it gave me a good soaking as it shot off again. Soon I was able to coax the fish towards the bank and eventually slide it up on the bank for the pics and release with skeeter's much appreciated help. Unfortunately, that was my only fish and skeeter only got a short sleigh ride before one released him hammer

Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 05:06 PM

eeks on your near 7 footer!

I M P R E S S I V E ! ! !

Thanks for sharing Lusca cheers

Skeeter,
Hope you land ya 1 of them monsters next time around.
Nice camera work wink
Posted By: Bullet Catcher

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 05:13 PM

HOLY Smokes!!! Your are the man! How many points did it get you on KW?

WOW what a fight that would be! Looks like a mini sub.
Posted By: pelican

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 05:13 PM

Dang that's a big fish from a Yak, bet that was a ton O fun!
Well done!

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 05:22 PM

A couple pics of the release.
[/URL]

Posted By: cuban

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 05:24 PM

Awesome fish congrats! What river were you on?
Posted By: add147

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 05:25 PM

Bet that took awhile to get reeled in!
Posted By: JOED214

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 05:40 PM

Nice! Congrats on another fine catch. thumb
Posted By: skeeteroneal

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 06:22 PM

Glad I was there to be a part of it. It is truly an experience to watch trying to land one of these monsters. They are awesome fish. Eventually I will get my "Elenore". smile
Posted By: RealBigReel

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 06:25 PM

Really big fish.
Posted By: TeamHeineken

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 07:07 PM

Good one. Great pics
Posted By: the big white dually

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 07:55 PM

excellent job there lusca
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 08:14 PM

I should have know if it was going to be caught by you it was going to be a monster. Awesome job!!!
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 08:50 PM

wow that looks like fun
Posted By: JRNissley

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 09:00 PM

Way cool! Way to go!
Posted By: YakFishField

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 09:30 PM

Dude I am so jealous right now. That right there is one of my dreams. Got me motivated now, I need to go gar chasin'! Awesome fish man.
Posted By: Big redneck

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 09:33 PM

WOW! Nice catch! Awesome! thumb thumb
Posted By: The Ninja

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 10:04 PM

What kind off kayak war points is that?

Re: Alligator gar - 06/02/13 10:45 PM

50 points...if I could get KW to accept it. I get an error message stating the length I enter is physically impossible loco_2 I had the same issue last year with carp. Oz had to raise the limit. Not nearly enough points IMO.
Posted By: Cudadude

Re: Alligator gar - 06/03/13 12:24 AM

Congrats Lusca, that's one fine catch there...
Posted By: Bullet Catcher

Re: Alligator gar - 06/03/13 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Lusca
50 points...if I could get KW to accept it. I get an error message stating the length I enter is physically impossible loco_2 I had the same issue last year with carp. Oz had to raise the limit. Not nearly enough points IMO.

Thats it!!! Man, I bet it takes way more skill to land something like that than a paddlefish. 100 points to snag a fish and only 50 to beach a mini sub. What a joke! Great job again!
Posted By: General Jigs

Re: Alligator gar - 06/03/13 04:14 AM

wow, ridiculous catch man! i see you are at the number 1 spot on kayak wars KAYAK MAN GOLD POINTS 2013 standings with 102!! 2nd spot is 69! way to go lusca!
Posted By: Federale

Re: Alligator gar - 06/03/13 04:47 AM

Spectacular!

Re: Alligator gar - 06/03/13 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Bullet Catcher
Originally Posted By: Lusca

Thats it!!! Man, I bet it takes way more skill to land something like that than a paddlefish. 100 points to snag a fish and only 50 to beach a mini sub. What a joke! Great job again!

I think it may be just as difficult to catch a paddlefish, but there's some other fish especially for the European's that are worth as much or more that wouldn't be big enough for bait for a big gator gar hmmm

Re: Alligator gar - 06/03/13 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: General Jigs
wow, ridiculous catch man! i see you are at the number 1 spot on kayak wars KAYAK MAN GOLD POINTS 2013 standings with 102!! 2nd spot is 69! way to go lusca!

Thanks, I've been trying to get as many KM points as I can. Most are for catching at least 3 species in a day that are big enough to submit. Not an easy feat, but doable in most cases. Kudos to bullet catcher, he's a top contender for going to the Hobie World Tournament!! Keep it up bullet catcher fish
Posted By: RogerB

Re: Alligator gar - 06/03/13 12:08 PM

Wow - way to go Lusca. Why do I think we'll see you doing that on a fly rod one of these days? smile
Posted By: skeeteroneal

Re: Alligator gar - 06/03/13 12:23 PM

He's got a 12 wt in his barn. Don't count it out. smile
Posted By: Robbie Milam

Re: Alligator gar - 06/03/13 01:19 PM

Now that's a river monster! thumb
Posted By: a lo109

Re: Alligator gar - 06/03/13 05:11 PM

Awesome! Man I would love to catch one of them monsters on a rod and reel and from a kayak that would be a double bonus! That is a scary thought of having a gar jump up and land on your yak though.
Posted By: fishinpreacher

Re: Alligator gar - 06/03/13 07:50 PM

AWESOME DUDE
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Alligator gar - 06/03/13 09:52 PM

bow_downNICE GAR!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum