Texas Fishing Forum

Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback

Posted By: ksdog

Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/17/13 09:52 PM

For those of you with knowledge of both would you please discuss the pros and cons. I will get to demo a Mariner this weekend, but the Outback is not available for demo in these parts. I am 6'1" and 240 lbs and will be fishing windy Kansas reservoirs. Of particular interest to me is ability to handle wind, waves, knee, back strain, etc.
Posted By: The Thorpedo

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/17/13 09:55 PM

Well I weigh 200 pounds and had about another 100 pounds of camping gear on my mariner today. Fought through wind no issue. Easy to stand in and lots of open space. The outback looks like a tighter fit to me
Posted By: C-Frog

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/17/13 10:08 PM

Chris Payne??
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/17/13 11:47 PM

I can only speak for the Mariner. I've had mine a few months. What I like about it is the pedal drive having instant reverse. It makes it easier to stay on a spot in the wind or back yourself out of tight areas like timber where you do not have the room to turn around. It is very stable and easy to stand in. I was on Grapevine last month with winds gusting to 35mph and it handled the rough water very well. The seat is very comfortable as well. The only improvement I could see would be in the rudder. It is fixed and not retractable and I feel like I have to be careful when dragging or loading the kayak sometimes. It serves its function just fine in the water and I haven't had any real problems with it I just wish it was built a little more solid. The only other issue may be mounting items in the rear of the kayak. There is no access to the back but that can easily be worked around by using well nuts to mount accessories which is what I used. Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever kayak you decide on.
Posted By: Robbie Milam

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/17/13 11:51 PM

Get a Pro Angler 14

I'd try both and see what you think feels better.
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/18/13 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: N.Tex_paddler
I can only speak for the Mariner. I've had mine a few months. What I like about it is the pedal drive having instant reverse. It makes it easier to stay on a spot in the wind or back yourself out of tight areas like timber where you do not have the room to turn around. It is very stable and easy to stand in. I was on Grapevine last month with winds gusting to 35mph and it handled the rough water very well. The seat is very comfortable as well. The only improvement I could see would be in the rudder. It is fixed and not retractable and I feel like I have to be careful when dragging or loading the kayak sometimes. It serves its function just fine in the water and I haven't had any real problems with it I just wish it was built a little more solid. The only other issue may be mounting items in the rear of the kayak. There is no access to the back but that can easily be worked around by using well nuts to mount accessories which is what I used. Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever kayak you decide on.

It looks like the pedals are sort of high, where your feet almost go head high. Is that right and is it comfortable to peddle? Do you recline the seat some when peddling? They sure are nice looking! Thank you for info.
Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/18/13 03:17 AM

I guess it depend on your size but for me (im 6') it is definitely below the level of my head. It's very comfortable to peddle I will often eat a sandwich or retie a line while moving to a new spot. I would say find a local dealer and take both of your choices for a test ride.
Posted By: PayneFish

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/18/13 04:13 AM

Sorry, just saw this.

The Outback pedals are not head high. The center "scupper" that the mirage drive fits in is recessed. The pedals are right about the height of your hips when sitting in the seat. The Hobie seat in the Outback is significantly different than the Mariner. The Hobie has a removable, lightweight almost standard style high back seat. It does have lumbar adjustments through air chambers. As for wind and waves, it has no issues. The rudder works well to keep you on course. Add an anchor trolley and you're in good shape.
I did a full write up on it last month. Check it out here: http://www.paynespaddlefish.com/2013/03/final-thoughts-on-2013-hobie-outback.html

Some questions remain:
How will you be transporting? Truck? Trailer? Car Top?
Will you be camping or doing river trips which require lots of storage?
How is your strength? Look at the weight difference between them.
What rigging would you like to do? the Mariner and Outback are setup differently on the deck.
How is your back? The Mariner seat is a major difference between the two.
Do you fish in shallow water a lot? The Outback will go shallower and do it faster than the Mariner if you need to pull the drive.
Do you want to stand and fish? The Mariner is a more developed standing platform and easier to get up and down.
Sorry for lots of questions but the answers will be your answer. Feel free to ask away. I'll keep up with the thread.

These are both great kayaks and most would be happy with either.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/18/13 10:52 AM

Local dealers and demos are pretty nonexistent in Kansas.
Posted By: mikepaddle

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/18/13 12:46 PM

Hey KSDog,

I'm not sure where you got your info, but, among our demo armada on Saturday, we WILL have our Hobie Outback (equipped with the same rectangular front of seat hatch as the PAs) at the Spring G2G. Our dedicated demo Outback has been out for several weeks to Mariner Ambassador Chris Payne for testing and reviews. Chris is returning the Outback at the G2G and will be trading the Outback out for a Native Watercraft Slayer 12 for review.

Whenever we have a demo boat loaned out and you are seriously interested, we will pull the same product from stock for you to take a confirmation test paddle. I generally like to pull your personal color preference so you can be the first person to splash your own kayak.

SEE YOU SATURDAY!!!

Originally Posted By: ksdog
For those of you with knowledge of both would you please discuss the pros and cons. I will get to demo a Mariner this weekend, but the Outback is not available for demo in these parts. I am 6'1" and 240 lbs and will be fishing windy Kansas reservoirs. Of particular interest to me is ability to handle wind, waves, knee, back strain, etc.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/18/13 01:40 PM

I don't think he'll be there...
Posted By: Daveg99

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/18/13 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: wh2004
I don't think he'll be there...

Yeah its a little bit far from Kansas.

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/18/13 04:23 PM

OOPS...my bad...shouldn't quickly check the forum before leaving home to drive to the store.
Posted By: mayorb

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/18/13 08:24 PM

If I can hi jack the thread. I'm think of getting a outback or pa 12. I like the size of the outback,but not so much the seat. Is standing to cast a big problem? And of course the pa 12 is really nice, but i'm concerned about transporting it. At the G2G, will 2:30 pm to late to get there? I'm working sat morning. Will there be demos of both?
Posted By: PayneFish

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/18/13 09:20 PM

I know there will be an Outback there. I am bringing one. Probably a PA12 or two as well. Standing to cast is relative to height, weight, top heaviness, balance and fitness level. The Outback isn't made for standing and casting. You can do it but the design wasn't made for it. I can cast and retrieve crankbaits standing up in one but I won't dare say ANYONE can. I really dislike those claims. The PA12 is wider and will be more stable. Loading depends on the vehicle but a side load bar can help you get it on the top of an SUV without hurting you or the car.
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/18/13 11:10 PM

Ksdog, I'm 6'5" and the outback definitely didn't fit me. I rented one in the Keys last summer for 2 days, and the seat was just too close to the pedals.
Definitely test one before you buy. I don't think it is the best fit for a guy your size.
Posted By: ksdog

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/18/13 11:38 PM

I will be making a 2.5 hr plus drive this weekend to demo a Mariner. There are no Hobie dealers here. So...I do appreciate the input as it will not be possible to try out an Outback. Tom in Kansas
Posted By: Bass fro chop

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/19/13 02:15 AM

ive had 2 hobie outbacks. great fishing kayak. luv to peddle while fishing at the same time or mess with the fishfinder while peddling. or drink a beverage. its a great yak going against waves and wind also. legs are stronger than arms. i can go long distances without getting tired. i dont stand or go backerds so no problem there. i fish lakes with the outback. you can go in shallow water with fins flat against hull. also if you really want to go fast get the turbo fins. great kayak.

unpaid opinion here

Re: Native Mariner vs Hobie Outback - 04/19/13 12:48 PM

Mariner Sails will have both the Hobie PA-12 and PA-14, an Outback, and many more demo yaks at the G2G. We usually do not pack up until after lunch and everyone has had a chance to demo. No absolute promises but we will try to stretch until 2:30 until you arrive. Hurry but drive carefully. OK?

.f .
Originally Posted By: mayorb
If I can hi jack the thread. I'm think of getting a outback or pa 12. I like the size of the outback,but not so much the seat. Is standing to cast a big problem? And of course the pa 12 is really nice, but i'm concerned about transporting it. At the G2G, will 2:30 pm to late to get there? I'm working sat morning. Will there be demos of both?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum