Texas Fishing Forum

Kayak Tie Down Tip

Posted By: 2FlyFish4

Kayak Tie Down Tip - 04/03/13 12:56 PM

For More Pics, Tips, and Fishing Reports, Click Here

Thought I would share this tip on tying down your kayak/canoe if you carry it in the bed of your truck. Probably like most of yall it is not uncommon for me to run a couple hundred miles to the water for a day of fishing and I'm going to cover those miles as quickly as I can so it is very important that my yak is strapped down good.

I make a loop out of 1/2" rope. The loop needs to be just big enough to slip over the nose of the kayak.

Slid the loop over the nose of the kayak and attach your ratchet straps to the loop. I like this setup over attaching the ratchet straps to the handle or other part of the yak because you can really crank down on the kayak/canoe without fear of ripping the handle out or damaging the yak. The other thing I recommend doing is going to Auto Zone and getting a portable towing light kit. Use some zip ties to attach the lights to the hooks on the ratchet strap. Make sure you get your left and right blinkers on the correct side and mark them so you will know in the future what side they belong on. This makes night time driving much safer.
Posted By: pelican

Re: Kayak Tie Down Tip - 04/03/13 01:47 PM

thumb
Posted By: Slingbait

Re: Kayak Tie Down Tip - 04/03/13 01:51 PM

Great idea!
Posted By: a lo109

Re: Kayak Tie Down Tip - 04/03/13 01:55 PM

When I carry mine in the truck I run a ratchet strap through the rear handle and hooked it on the bottom hooks of the bed. Just in case one of my staps at the rear came loose or failed for some reason. But I am always paranoid about my yak sliding out. I like the light idea.
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: Kayak Tie Down Tip - 04/03/13 01:59 PM

Good idea. Ive been anchoring my cuda by running a strap through the stand assist strap. Dont like putting that much pressure on that thing. Ill try your way instead.
Posted By: PayneFish

Re: Kayak Tie Down Tip - 04/03/13 02:08 PM

Good tip!
Posted By: Whiskerlips

Re: Kayak Tie Down Tip - 04/03/13 02:14 PM

Great idea I always used my handle on the front of my yak to tie it down then on over the kayak but honestly this is a great idea.. Thanks for the tip
Posted By: Cudadude

Re: Kayak Tie Down Tip - 04/03/13 02:28 PM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum