Texas Fishing Forum

Removing goop

Posted By: dangolephil

Removing goop - 05/09/12 07:38 PM

My ff quit reading depth And quit finding fishes, I think it is bc I need to regoop my deucer how to I get it out of the old stuff. Or any suggestions on what it may be

Posted By: paddling oar's

Re: Removing goop - 05/09/12 07:56 PM

I had the same issue. First 5 times I used it on the water it worked great and now it works on and off. Someone suggested I got air bubbles in it. I just ended up mounting the transducer to my rudder spot. I didn't remove the other transducer because I was told it wouldn't work the same. If it does let me know. Also I would buy a hull mounting kit to prevent it from happening again.

Posted By: CornFish

Re: Removing goop - 05/09/12 07:58 PM

Try WD-40. If that doesn't work, before you try acetone, call the manufacture for their suggestion.

Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: Removing goop - 05/09/12 08:26 PM

I used the epoxy that came with my thru hull transducer and haven't had any problems. You might see if there's an alternative to the goop if you're having issues.

Posted By: R E N

Re: Removing goop - 05/09/12 09:40 PM

With a lot of patience & a lot of elbow grease, you can carefully pry it off. IT CAN BE DONE. I goop my ducer inside the hull 1st go round, but decided to mount on one of my scupper holes a week later. There weren't any solvents that I could find to break down the goop. After rocking it side to side & back& forth I noticed it was loosening up. If you can find something to use as a spatula or flat head screw driver to carefully pry it off. No damage in my hull or to my ducer & still works today!

Posted By: gutcheck

Re: Removing goop - 05/09/12 10:36 PM

On my manta ray I gooped and removed ducers at least 3 times. I started with a paint scraper at the edges and peeled. I think when I got to the ducer I kinda rocked it back and forth until it came up, at least once I was having a hard time and added a small amount of goo gone, waited a bit and it came off no problems. If you are careful most of it will come off without any difficulty. On the ducer itself I used more of the goo gone and a razor blade...when done I used dawn soap and water to clean the whole area... Never had any problems doing it this way...

Posted By: H.Town_paddler

Re: Removing goop - 05/10/12 01:05 AM

Instead of using goop you can use marine grease. Thats what comes with the Humminbird kayak transducer install kit. Works well and doesnt seem to ever harden up. Easy to remove if you need to.

Posted By: CanadiYak

Re: Removing goop - 05/10/12 02:33 AM

I just tap mine(few times) with the wooden end of the hammer not hard and it will come off.I have reused the transducer on 3 different boats now without a problem.Works great every time.As for the kayak I used (duct seal)saw a video of it on youtube.Works great no glue no air pockets and can move it any where I want to in seconds hope this link works great idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZ9_C1iKP0

Posted By: paddling oar's

Re: Removing goop - 05/10/12 02:46 AM

Nice I may try to reuse my transducer in my hull for creek fishing.

Posted By: Chess101

Re: Removing goop - 05/10/12 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: R E N
With a lot of patience & a lot of elbow grease, you can carefully pry it off. IT CAN BE DONE. I goop my ducer inside the hull 1st go round, but decided to mount on one of my scupper holes a week later. There weren't any solvents that I could find to break down the goop. After rocking it side to side & back& forth I noticed it was loosening up. If you can find something to use as a spatula or flat head screw driver to carefully pry it off. No damage in my hull or to my ducer & still works today!
+1

Posted By: fishinpreacher

Re: Removing goop - 05/10/12 02:28 PM

I have experienced the same problem a few times. Like Ren said you can use a putty knife of something similar to remove the setup. Its a peeling process to get it off the transducer.

All mine have come up pretty easily because they do have air bubbles. I just clean mine up and reinstall.

I do like the marine grease idea, may try it myself. I just don't want my transducer bouncing around while trailering on a rough road.
Had to ad this; just watched the duct seal video. I am impressed with this method also.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum