Texas Fishing Forum

Kayak camping

Posted By: boater71

Kayak camping - 08/19/11 01:40 PM

I'm getting ready for a three day trip down the Brazos in late September /early October. I just tried the Mountain House scrambled eggs with Bacon. Not bad at all actually. After the fourth bite I needed a little more flavor so a little picante sauce and it was gone before I knew it. FYI.....the single serving would probably be ok for the kiddos bit I could easily eat two of these. I also purchased the chili Mac per Dave99's recommendation and the spaghetti with meat sauce. Dont want to have to keep anything cold except for a few beers and some water. If anyone has some advise feel free to chime in.
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 01:49 PM

If you can afford them or don't already have them, a lightweight stove like a primus and a water filter will save weight and space. Sounds like you're going to have a great trip.
Posted By: Daveg99

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 02:03 PM

yeah the dinners are better than the breakfast but the breakfast is decent. I also like to bring tortillas with some avocados and tomatoes that I can cut up and eat with my meals. Those individual flavor packs for the water are a great thing to bring also. Makes drinking water a whole lot better! We used a water purifier for the trip but the Brazos water has a strong mineral taste so bringing your own would probably be best.

Also if you go to the grocery store they have lots of items that are in pouches. They have tuna, black beans, and even instant mash potatoes that are really good.

By the time you will be going the temps should be a bit lower so keeping ice from melting will be easier. You still might want to buy a small chunk of dry ice to throw in the bottom of the cooler along with the regular ice. Last time I went we had the luxury of our buddy paddling his canoe so he had lots of room for a large cooler.

And I love my MSR stove. It works flawlessly and boils water in a couple minutes.

this was the water purifier we used

And I almost forgot. get one of these to measure water amounts when cooking....

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 02:14 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully there will be some water in the Brazos when we go. Planning on the Hwy 16 to Hwy 4 route. I just bought a small MSR stove and have read about the Brazos river water having a high salt/mineral content so I figured I'd take my own.
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 03:28 PM

A block of cheddar cheese and a dozen flour tortillas don't take much room and make for easy quesadilla meals as long as you have a stove or fire. Also, freeze all your water bottles.
Posted By: cbl600r

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 03:32 PM

I have been wanting to do something like this ever since I got my kayak.
Posted By: YakBonz

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 03:34 PM

Don't forget to bring sunscreen, bug spray, and a FIRST AID KIT. Also we always bring fire paste (can be bought at REI) which will start your camp fire quicker than anything. We also bring a small wood saw to cut down the firewood, but that might not be an option for you if we do not get any rain.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 04:23 PM

All of this is great advice. Keep it coming, I am taking notes. Most importantly, I would like to see how all this gets packed. I understand it will be easier on some yaks than other. Daveg99's OK Trident has enough room to pack an extra kayak and medium sized child if you needed to. But I am looking to see how others are packing 3 days worth camping in a 12-13 foot kayak.

I have made plenty 30-40 mile trips on the Buffalo and Brazos, but all my experience is in a canoe. No issue on space.
Posted By: FishingRythe

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 04:29 PM

I'll back Dave99 on the MSR stove, I have the 4 prong one for a bit more stability and I love it for when I go hunting/fishing/camping or any where outdoors I need to eat. Boils water super fast and the fuel last for a good long while, I pair that with a all in one camping mess kit that has enough items for 2 to eat and it all compacts down into a 4 qt cooking pot. I also use the stove in my emergency kit in case of fire/flood/twister or anything like that I can still cook and be good to go, same with the water purifiers. Occasionaly if I am going to be gone for a few days I'll stop by base and get some MREs that are pretty tasty.

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: JJ4MEL
All of this is great advice. Keep it coming, I am taking notes. Most importantly, I would like to see how all this gets packed. I understand it will be easier on some yaks than other. Daveg99's OK Trident has enough room to pack an extra kayak and medium sized child if you needed to. But I am looking to see how others are packing 3 days worth camping in a 12-13 foot kayak.

I have made plenty 30-40 mile trips on the Buffalo and Brazos, but all my experience is in a canoe. No issue on space.

I solve that by bringing a friend that paddles an X Factor.....

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 05:51 PM

The best way to save space is to have a small tent and sleep pad. Those are normally the biggest and bulkiest items. I have done most of y camping out of my kayak in my redfish 12. I just got the trident recently. Using a dry bag for some things and keeping it on the back of the kayak in the storage area helps save space inside also.
Posted By: JimRinTX

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: FishingRythe
I'll back Dave99 on the MSR stove, I have the 4 prong one for a bit more stability and I love it for when I go hunting/fishing/camping or any where outdoors I need to eat. Boils water super fast and the fuel last for a good long while, I pair that with a all in one camping mess kit that has enough items for 2 to eat and it all compacts down into a 4 qt cooking pot. I also use the stove in my emergency kit in case of fire/flood/twister or anything like that I can still cook and be good to go, same with the water purifiers. Occasionaly if I am going to be gone for a few days I'll stop by base and get some MREs that are pretty tasty.

Are they selling MRE's at he commissary again? I remember several years ago they quit for some reason. I may be able to eat them again now. They were what we had almost entirely during Desert Storm for 6 months.

JIM
Posted By: Jim Marshall

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 07:14 PM

You could always camp in a hammock and fly. They pack down very small, and can be made warm, or a cold as you want.
Posted By: Just Fish

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 07:35 PM

Here is a picture of the Coosa loaded down for a three day trip.
Icechest,dry bag with twin matress and liner, dry bag under deck with clothes, dry bag under deck with tent, shotgun under deck, lawn chair under deck,extra drinks under deck.
Yes, i have a lot of gear when I go out. I don't mind the extra effort to paddle and carry due to the load in exchange for being comfortable. I also carry a hammock in case there is a place to hang it.

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 09:21 PM

Interesting thoughts.......i assume we can camp on the sandbars/gravelbars.

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 09:24 PM

I camp on the bank normally.

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 09:34 PM

My brother in law and father in law are bringing their Coosas and I plan on taking my Pescador.They have the storage advantage by far but I think I can haul enough for me to be comfortable. Besides if an angry plastic eating beaver gets after us I can speed away and come back later and pick what supplies I want lol.......I did say they were IN-LAWS.

I've got a couple of drybags and a drybox...hopefully that should be enough. Going to load the yak down tonight and see how everything fits/crams.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Just Fish
Icechest,dry bag with twin matress and liner, dry bag under deck with clothes, dry bag under deck with tent, shotgun under deck, lawn chair under deck,extra drinks under deck.
Yes, i have a lot of gear when I go out. I don't mind the extra effort to paddle and carry due to the load in exchange for being comfortable. I also carry a hammock in case there is a place to hang it.

Shotgun? For crazy people on the river or things that go bump in the night. I've been trying to figure which would be easier to explain long gun or pistol, if the GW was to say something while you had it on the river.
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Kayak camping - 08/19/11 09:45 PM

Here are two yaks loaded for a three night fishing trip. Both hulls were loaded with camping gear, cooler bags and bottled water.

Posted By: Just Fish

Re: Kayak camping - 08/20/11 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian

Shotgun? For crazy people on the river or things that go bump in the night. I've been trying to figure which would be easier to explain long gun or pistol, if the GW was to say something while you had it on the river.

I actually take both now. Use to just take the 410 as a snake charmer until some wild hogs messed with me on a campout. I now carry a 45 plus the shotgun and problem solved.
Posted By: HERROUTDOORS

Re: Kayak camping - 08/20/11 07:39 AM

Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian

I actually take both now. Use to just take the 410 as a snake charmer until some wild hogs messed with me on a campout. I now carry a 45 plus the shotgun and problem solved.

I like that.
Posted By: xanadu

Re: Kayak camping - 08/20/11 03:17 PM

Hey a topic that I can relate to. I'm a lightweight backpacker first and fisher second. Number one item- a good sleeping pad. Buy the best and enjoy the campout. Buy cheap and be very grumpy for 3 days. Don't take a hammock unless you have used one before because you will end up on the ground after one night of feeling tied up in a knot.
Mountain house dinners rock but use 1 1/2 cups of water when they tell you 2 cups. Much better. Best stove? I have the jetboils and such but I only use a free "beer can stove" any more. Look up pepsi can stove and check them out. Keep in mind that this and the other stoves mentioned above are only used for heating water, not cooking.
No guns. Period. You're there to enjoy nature not go to go to war with it. I will argue anyone on this topic. If you need weapons, you should not be in that area. Have the attitude "I am the thing that goes bump in the night".
Take basic supplies and first aid. Some of you favorite spirits and For God's sake, WATCH OUT for the most deadly animal in nature-the RACOON! You would not believe the things that they have doen to me in Arkansas and Oklahoma! I still can't talk about it but my therapist said that I am getting much better. In 4 more weeks, backpacking season starts so I will miss all of you guys on this forum. I'll see you next May though.
Posted By: Thinwater skinner

Re: Kayak camping - 08/20/11 03:31 PM

The salt content is high enough that it will not quinch your thirst!!! The more you drink the more you want. Good idea to take your own water for drinking... Cooking with the brazos water is ok if you filter it...
Posted By: angler_josh

Re: Kayak camping - 08/20/11 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: xanadu

No guns. Period.

Screw that! The more guns the better and you cant have too much ammo, any thing that makes a nosie and gets too close to the camp gets blasted. Im not the thing that "goes bump in the night" im the thing that "goes boom booom booom boom bang bang pow pow, click click, boom boom boom bang bang pow pow in the night". I enjoy my nature bloody.
Posted By: FishingRythe

Re: Kayak camping - 08/21/11 12:13 AM

[/quote]Are they selling MRE's at he commissary again? I remember several years ago they quit for some reason. I may be able to eat them again now. They were what we had almost entirely during Desert Storm for 6 months.

JIM [/quote]

Yeah at Sheppard they are selling them but I pretty much cleaned them out really fast. Can't beat a full meal for 7 bucks or so that is guaranteed to stop you up for a few days if you eat them for more than a week at a time. smile

Oh yeah if I go camping any where short of a state park my .357 comes with me for hogs or anything else that might go bump in the night.
Posted By: JDavis7873®

Re: Kayak camping - 08/21/11 02:30 AM

I try to pack as lightly as possible, because my paddling buddies usually bring 200lbs of beer, and a pack of baloney. I usually get "stuck" with paddling the canoe, but even when it's loaded, I'm still a heck of a lot faster than they are, and it's easier. I don't tell them that though.
Posted By: spradyak

Re: Kayak camping - 08/21/11 03:07 AM

I use my single burner jetboil stove a lot and found it to be very handy. You can warm any canned vegetable in just a few minutes, or a can of chili. Or boil water and pour it over ramen. Makes a good camp meal with some crackers.

+1 on taking something to protect yourself with. Will probably never need it but I sleep a whole lot better when miles from civilization.

Re: Kayak camping - 08/21/11 03:52 PM

Well I loaded the Pescador down yesterday and went to Benbrook for a test run. The weight was distributed evenly front and back and probably only totaled 275-280 pounds including myself. I don't think the Pescador is a pack mule like my Scrambler XT. Seemed to be tippy and handled like a whole different yak.

I love my Pescador for the speed and comfort but I'm starting to think my Scrambler XT is more stable when loaded. GREAT.......now to decide which to take for a three day excursion ..........
Posted By: beech96w

Re: Kayak camping - 08/21/11 05:12 PM

It can definitely be worth it. The big plus, it affords you more creature comforts than backpacking (like chairs).

Lining our boats up the Lewis Chanel, Yellowstone, WY.

Re: Kayak camping - 08/21/11 08:10 PM

Now that is what I'm talking bout .....Awesome picture thanks for sharing.
Posted By: BaffinBay

Re: Kayak camping - 08/24/11 12:51 AM

Get a big, strong buddy with a larger boat and you can let him tote all your stuff around...

Posted By: fishybiz

Re: Kayak camping - 08/24/11 02:35 AM

You will always be my favorite pack mule:)
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Kayak camping - 08/24/11 02:50 AM

Great thread guys, I'm definitely going to start doing overnight camping trips in the kayak. After I finish my damn kayak trailer.
Posted By: hirsch

Re: Kayak camping - 08/26/11 12:13 AM

I am very unimpressed with Backpacker's Pantry and would not recommend it. I carry salt, pepper, Cavender's Greek Seasoning and Cholula sauce. I have been impressed with Mountain House in which the worse were fixable with those seasoning and the best needed no addition. I noticed in Walmart the other day that Coleman is entering the freeze dried market. I have not tried them yet and would not mind hearing reports on them.

Re: Kayak camping - 09/21/11 01:13 PM

Well due to PK ending water release plans have changed to yak below Granbury from hwy 67 to Brazos Point.....According to a BRA Lake Ranger Granbury will continue to release 400 CFS into the first part of October so were gonna try for the weekend of September 30.......
Posted By: Texas Northstar

Re: Kayak camping - 09/21/11 04:06 PM

If we do not get some rain bring a kayak dolly!

I was down there last october for two nights and one of them was 45 degrees. Bring a decent bag and a light blanket to cover all possibilities. I use a cheap 2 person 7X7 tent from BPS I nabbed on sale for 30.00, but I spent 10 times that on a wiggy's bag and exped mat. Sleep well and the day of paddling will be easier.

I did the trip on my oc drifter and it was not too bad. I carried water and a mix of dried and canned food. I run on the heavy side and I did not drag too much.

I loaded the boat using trash bags in the hull and a few dry bags on top. Don't forget a chair! After a long day the last thing you want to do is sit on a log or rock around the fire.
Posted By: cbl600r

Re: Kayak camping - 09/21/11 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Northstar

I loaded the boat using trash bags in the hull and a few dry bags on top. Don't forget a chair! After a long day the last thing you want to do is sit on a log or rock around the fire.

You got that right! chair is a must!
Posted By: District Paddle

Re: Kayak camping - 09/21/11 05:18 PM

Agreed. That is really good advice.

Re: Kayak camping - 09/21/11 05:28 PM

look for the camp stowaway chair at REI. Very light and small coupon, and very comfortable to sit in. I rate that as a must up there with the backpacker cot or sleepimng pad. You have to relax the body after a days of paddling and portaging....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum