Texas Fishing Forum

kayak for big guy recommendations?

Posted By: JustJ

kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/17/10 11:37 AM

Any recommendations for large built men? Was going to order a FS12t Ascend , of course BPS doesnt have any they told me I have to order online (and pay $19.95 shipping plus the $95.00 oversize shipping penalty)

then I read some comments they werent good for large paddlers?

for reference my last yak was a Pelican sot tandem my butt fit in that 15 footer no problem, worked fine with 2 on board not so fine trying to solo

Posted By: DarrellS

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/17/10 12:13 PM

Go by HOT Kayaks in Grapevine, they will be able to fix you up.
Posted By: bert

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/17/10 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: DarrellS

They have a good variety of rental kayaks as well, try before you buy is the best advice I can give you. I went out and bought my first yak without trying it and I also am on the larger size, 5'11" 240lbs. It was not a joy to row but it could carry a ton which is why I got rid of it.

I am currently in a Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 solo, rows like a dream and has the most comfortable seat in the business. It is not as maneuverable as the short boats but it will cover distance well and is not great if you are in rough water.
Posted By: Daveg99

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/17/10 12:35 PM

how big is a big guy? Im 5'11" and 260-265 and I have a heritage redfish 12 that works out perfect for me.

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/17/10 12:43 PM

between 6-6'1"

280 -290lb depending

small butt big above the waist

strength not a problem like to have an easy row but I can paddle a bass boat, just didnt want to order something Id swamp

looking for sit on tops I paddled the tandem out into the surf solo but it rode a little high in front as you could imagine!

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/17/10 12:53 PM

well probably the best kayak for a guy your size would be a malibu x factor or a cobra fish n dive. Both have somewhere around a 600lbs weight limit. Also the ocean kayak big game is another option for you.
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/17/10 01:30 PM

I'm 6'9" tall and about 290lbs and I've had no problems using any yak with at least a 350lb max capacity.
Posted By: wwest

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/17/10 01:59 PM

Hard to beat the Wilderness System Ride. We have 2 and just love 'em. I'm 6' and top heavy 235. Can't say I stand up in them much, but hey.... juggle

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/17/10 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Ray
I'm 6'9" tall and about 290lbs

eeks
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/17/10 03:54 PM

Yeah, I'm a big'un.

Got a question for ya'll:

Which would you pick if somebody was gonna give you one:
OK Scrambler XT or Accend FS12T?

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/17/10 05:32 PM

Yeah, I'm a big'un.

Got a question for ya'll:

Which would you pick if somebody was gonna give you one:
OK Scrambler XT or Accend FS12T?

I have owned a couple scrambler xt's. THey are OK and do a good job but they are a wet ride and have a narrow seat. I have never been in an ascend but I have heard good things about them. Id pick the ascend.

Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/17/10 07:13 PM

Lots of big boy kayakers at http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/ who could help.

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/17/10 08:10 PM

I'm 6'9" tall and about 290lbs and I've had no problems using any yak with at least a 350lb max capacity.

dang
you coulda used my tandem! I paddled it around the Laguna Madre and out through the surf with my 110lb daughter in the front seat it wasnt bad at all with her as ballast (she didnt add much paddling power though)

as much as Pelican brand get maligned it was actually a pretty decent yak for 2 normal sized humans low effort tracked straight turned easy
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/17/10 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: DarrellS

X2

I would also look in to the Cobra yaks. That was my first yak and she was a dream to paddle. I could load it up with anything I wanted and paddle all day.
Posted By: bert

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/17/10 11:56 PM

Just J,

You can get away with a bunch of boats that can carry you plus 75lbs of gear but how dry will the ride be and will you like to paddle that way?

I would not recommend the Malibu Xfactor as that was my first boat and it was not a joy to row but was a fairly dry ride. I would look at boats that have 400lb+ capacity to give you room for gear and food/drinks plus any fish you might want to bring home. A few suggestions,

Ocean Kayaks,

Trident 13
Trident 15
Drifter
Prowler Big Game
Prowler 13

Native Watercraft,

Ultimate 14.5 solo
Manta Ray 14
Magic 14.5 solo

Wilderness Systems,

Commander 120
Ride 135
Tarpon 140(375lb capacity)
Tarpon 160

Heritage,

Redfish 14

Freedom Hawk,

Freedom Hawk 14

Hobie,

Mirage Outback
Mirage Pro Angler

Cobra,

Pro Fisherman
Navigator
Fish-n-dive
Tourer
Explorer
Marauder

Malibu,

Xfactor
Stealth 12
Stealth 14
Pro Explorer
Extreme

These are all listed to carry 400 or more pounds except the Tarpon 140, this was the list I compiled when I was looking for a new boat and looked at reviews from pro's and otherwise before I settled on the Ultimate. I will eventually get another SOT kayak for when I want to go out in rain or high winds with larger wave action but will go out and row anything before I buy it.

Again, best of luck finding the boat that fits you and your fishing needs.

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/18/10 01:20 AM

thanks!
Posted By: elbandito78

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/18/10 04:33 AM

I'm a big dude(5' 8" 270lbs). I paddle a Hobie Kona (tandem) and love it. I ,ostly go out by myself but can take the additional person out if I want to. Though I havee had my eye on the Cobra Fish n' Dive. Looks like a sweet ride.
Posted By: ekhunter

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/18/10 06:38 PM

i'm 240 6 foot cabra fish and dive holds lots of gear or has a reverse seat in the front. its a tank but i love mine
Posted By: HOTKayaks

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/21/10 08:34 PM

I would give the Manta Ray 14 a shot. I've seen many guys in it that are your size and they have nothing but good things to say.

The Redfish 14 is also a solid choice. Although I'm biased towards the Redfish boats since that's what I personally paddle. smile

If you'd like to test drive the MR 14, feel free to stop by the Grapevine shop and take it for a spin or rent it for the day.

Colleen
Posted By: Msaxatilis

Re: kayak for big guy recommendations? - 05/24/10 02:48 AM

JustJ,
Kayaking is a new sport to me and I had to do some research on TKF before I felt comfortable deciding on a Kayak. My 5'7",250lb frame, would need a rather large capacity yak in order to float the many rivers here in Texas and camp over night with copmfortable gear. HOT kayaks ws simply the best shopping experience I have ever had. So, I bought a OKPBG SOT kayak from them. The conclusion of a recent river trip in Arkansas proved this sweet mama to be every bit a lady! She was a bit sluggish to start but once in the current I felt she would climb right out from under me. Had to muscle the turns but I like the exercise. She can carry 600lbs of weight, but I tested her with about 100lbs of gear on the Buffalo River and was pleasantly surprised at the control she offered. All in all, I think I made the right choice, but I have yet to drive others. Good luck in your shopping and welcome to the "Plastic Navy!"

M.saxatilis

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum