Texas Fishing Forum

Brazos Report *On FIRE*

Posted By: RiverBassin

Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/12/10 02:40 AM

Went to the upper brazos saturday with my dad. This was the best brazos river trip we have ever gone on. Together, we caught between 60-70 fish and the action was none stop.

Woke up at 4:30 a.m. left the house at 5 and arrived at the river just past 7. We stopped and talked to a family that was wade fishing and they had not caught anything. Interestingly enough, no bass were jumping on the shore lines. I was a little worried. We paddled down stream from the bridge a few hundred yards bass fishing. No bites after 2 hours. We were 1 1/2 miles down river while my dad was fooling around with different lures and casting them in the middle of the river. He catches 3 sandbass so I switch to my spinning outfit and we start casting our lures around the kayaks. BAM! Fish on. The sandies were busting the surface around our kayaks like they do on a lake. A few hit the surface right next to our kayaks. Every other cast was a fish on! On a side note, the sandbass were taking our crankbaits right at the boat. I have never witnessed anything like this on the river before. We caught about 30 sandbass and stripers before we arrived at our final destination.

The "spot" is a deep pool about 2 miles down river where a creek feeds in. Fished cut shad in the pool hoping to land a large striper. No luck with that. We paddled into the creek in search of some flatheads. No luck with that either. Dad decides to throw his YUM craw and catches a bass on the first cast. I cast my power worm and catch 3 bass on back to back casts. It was amazing. I ended up catching 10 bass in the small creek and went through 6 power worms while dad only caught 3 bass. There had to be at least 30 or more bass in the small creek. The creek had clear, warm water with no current and a small water fall feeding fresh water. We could see the bass every where in the creek. It was fun watching the bass swim around my kayak and run to cover. I caught the two largest bass, both over 3 lbs on digital scale.

We fished the rapids for more sandies but instead end up losing a giant striper on a crankbait right at our feet. I estimate the weight around 8-10 lbs.

We head up river to where we were catching sandbass and immediately start catching fish. We practiced catch and release for most of the day only keeping gut hooked fish. Our dog likes to eat fish so we filled up a stringer of magnums sandies for him. We caught 1 striper for every 10 sandbass. The sand bass were holding off rocks and large bolders. We did not catch sandbass unless we were fishing next to rocky shore lines with deep water. If we could see the river floor we weren't catching fish.

As we were paddling to the take out, we talked to a few wade fisherman who were catching crappie. One gentlmen had 6 crappie on his stringer.

Although it was a fun trip, we most likely won't be going back without a gun. When we arrived at the bridge for take out, were were greeted by a group of punk kids all tatted up. Also had a shady mexican dude with a machete as long as his leg walking around the bridge pilings. What a perfect place for crime and disaster. Dad took 11 pictures, none that I really like. Next time I will be in charge of the CAMERA!

BTW we were fishing brazos point. Bring a gun for safety and go getcha some stripers and sandies. I unfortunately won't be going back anytime soon.

Re: Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/12/10 02:40 AM

Re: Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/12/10 02:41 AM

Re: Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/12/10 02:42 AM

Re: Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/12/10 02:43 AM

Posted By: steveiam

Re: Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/12/10 04:19 AM

Looks like a great trip!
Posted By: chpd207

Re: Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/12/10 10:51 AM

What bridge did you put in at? I'm headed there this weekend.
Posted By: skeeteroneal

Re: Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/12/10 02:37 PM

thanks for the report. How did the river look after the golden algae hit it has taken?
Posted By: Forever Fishing

Re: Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/12/10 03:48 PM

Nice pics and great trip!

Re: Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/12/10 03:53 PM

Launched at Brazos Point. This portion of the river was not affected by golden algae. Lake Granbury has been releasing lots of water since the last week of January. The river has been fluctuating from 2000+ CFS down to the low 100's CFS for the past 2 months. Thursday the river flow went down to the 120's finally and stayed constant over weekend. The river is currently flowing around 90 CFS and if it stays like this for the week, the fishing should be great. This portion of the brazos is between Lake Granbury and Lake Whitney. You can launch at 67 bridge or Brazos point. Both places are not that safe. Last year I remember coming back from a paddle at the 67 bridge when a few squad cars did a drug bust down there. Lots of fish to be caught!
Posted By: shanedaviesguide.com

Re: Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/12/10 09:34 PM

Thanks for the report and pics.

Your right, certain areas of the Brazos are "En Fuego". cool

Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/12/10 11:11 PM

Great write up, Riverbassin. Nice pics too (shout out to your dad, the photographer...LOL). Thanks for posting. Glad the Brazos is still kicking down there.
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/12/10 11:31 PM

PS: Just curious: who's your dad? (TFF name). My son and I also yak together and we have OK Scrambler XTs as well. Not much better in life than father/son fishing....IMHO.
Posted By: Chess101

Re: Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/12/10 11:46 PM

my boy is 2 1/2 cant wait till he's old enough to go out with me (under his own power that is)

Re: Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/13/10 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: B_Rod
PS: Just curious: who's your dad? (TFF name). My son and I also yak together and we have OK Scrambler XTs as well. Not much better in life than father/son fishing....IMHO.

His "TFF" name is RiverMaster. He reads the forums more than he posts. I agree father/son fishing is the best way to spend quality time.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Brazos Report *On FIRE* - 04/13/10 04:35 AM

After paddling some HOT Kayaks this past weekend my 16 yr old wants a kayak too. Unbelievable!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum