Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Lavon

Posted By: fshng84

Lake Lavon - 05/24/08 01:23 AM

Fished Lake Lavon's Brockdale Park this evening for a quick try at the White Bass. Caught and released over 20+ small White Bass. Caught 4 Keepers ranging from 10" to 12".

Trolled 1/16oz White Crappie Jigs with consistent hits despite the strong wind and wave action. Not a bad outing for only one hour on the water. Picture posted in the link below.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/25/08 02:16 AM

Fished Lake Lavon's Brockdale Park again this morning for a couple of hours. Caught 20+ small White Bass and one Keeper. Opted to release rather than take the one Keeper. Windy day again but still worth a try given the consistent action. Posted picture of jigs used in the link below.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/26/08 01:06 AM

Decided to head for Lake Lavon's Brockdale Park again today. Used the Jon Boat and kept the kayak at home. Did see several kayakers in the area but could not tell how they fared fishing.

Same tactic as the day before just add a Green and White Clouser Minnow to the set of lures used with success. Caught 7 Keepers with a lot more released. Action was steady. Pictures posted in the link below.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/31/08 07:02 PM

Fished Lake Lavon at Brockdale Park again. Caught 20+ White Bass but only 1 Keeper. Used the kayak and trolled a 1/16oz White Crappie Jig. Once a school was located, switched to flyfishing. Able to take a couple small ones using a fly tied like a Crappie Jig. Pictures posted in the link below.
Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/31/08 08:17 PM

good job. what kayak u have. lookin to buy this summer

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/01/08 10:29 PM

Thanks getreal -
I have a Featherlite 9.5 Angler. I posted a picture of it on the link below. First and only kayak I own.

Bought it at Academy about year and half ago because it was on sale and it had fishing rod holders. Been happy with it ever since - light and portable.

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/02/08 07:29 PM

righteous

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/07/08 04:08 PM

Fished Brockdale Park today. No luck. Too windy.
Posted By: shorthorn

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/19/08 12:25 PM

Was anybody at Tickey creek boat ramp yesterday. I had pulled up at the pier to get my truck and this this guy was hollaring to his buddy hurry hurry, and what had happen was his boat was sinking. He had hit something and knock a hug hole in his boat. thank God he made it on the trailer safely.

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/22/08 05:15 PM

tru dat

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/05/08 04:00 PM

Fished Lake Lavon's Brockdale Park this morning. Trolled with jigs off the point; caught zero.

Decided to switch to a community lake and fish from the bank; fished the creek by Towne Lake in Mckinney. Caught small Bluegill using a Bead Head Natural Dubbing Midge near the bridge that crosses the creek. Pictures posted in the link below.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/24/09 05:33 AM

Fished Brockdale Park at Lake Lavon Saturday afternoon. Caught White Bass and a Yellow Bass on jigs trolled near the point. Left the kayak at home and rowed the jon boat instead; however, a kayak would have worked well Saturday. Click-on link for more info.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/02/15 10:07 PM

Been a while since posting to this this thread. Lake level is up and have gone kayak fishing several times since the boat ramps opened up. Here are recent reports to catch up on things. Included the Kayak Cart video just in case it's needed again.

Brockdale Park -Today's Video.
Brockdale Park - Saturday
Tickey Creek
Lavonia
Kayak Cart

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/03/15 11:28 PM

FYI... May be of interest to some; used Sabiki Rigged Crappie Jigs and a Slab for White Bass yesterday. Here is an online article that shows how we made it - Sabiki Rig for White Bass.

Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/03/15 11:50 PM

Like the Sabiki rig link. Thanks.
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/04/15 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: B_Rod
Like the Sabiki rig link. Thanks.

+1
Posted By: Bug-e

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/04/15 08:06 PM

Very cool.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/05/15 04:51 AM

Thanks B_Rod, HankS, and Bug-e!

No kayak fishing today but looks like the Sabiki Rig for White Bass works from shore, too! One mod though,... had to remove the Slab and replace it with a lead weight to get longer casts.

Great time catching and releasing White Bass. Also, caught a couple of Yellow Bass, a Bass and a Catfish that decided went for the Crappie Jigs! Overall low boating traffic - only had to deal with one boat, one jet ski, and two kayaks that passed over the schools of fish lingering off the point. No worries..., fish stayed in the area!

Fun stuff! Today's Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/06/15 03:15 AM

Working on the video; likely post tomorrow. Fished Tickey Creek using Frito Fishing Flies on a Sabiki Rig casted. Worked well until we lost the rig when we snapped the line on a bad cast. Today's Post. Going to make more and give them a try trolling them with the kayak!

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/06/15 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: fshng84
Working on the video; likely post tomorrow. Fished Tickey Creek using Frito Fishing Flies on a Sabiki Rig casted. Worked well until we lost the rig when we snapped the line on a bad cast. Today's Post. Going to make more and give them a try trolling them with the kayak!

Video of the action from yesterday when we fished Tickey Creek! Really liking the simple fishing flies that work great on the Sabiki Rig for White Bass!

Going to tie more Frito Fisjing Flies since (as Murphy's Law has it) we lost the only rig we had. No problem, simple and easy pattern. Should be able to restock the tackle box shortly! Yesterday's Video

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/07/15 03:42 AM

Short video this round... Brockdale Park this evening surf casting from the bank. Late start and then a dirty lens made us opt for editing out the onesie/twosie hook ups and show mainly the three and four fish hook ups.

The Frito Fishing Fly worked well with lots of hook ups and like yesterday, lots of undersized White Bass with exception of one Keeper.Today's Video

Weekend up in the air but hope to get a round of fishing in; be it in a kayak or from the bank!

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/08/15 09:26 PM

Planned to kayak fish Tickey Creek this morning but switched to Little Ridge this morning. Started out slow with windy conditions and rough water to make things interesting.

Then, started getting a fish or two using the Sabiki Rig for White Bass. Action picked up with multi-hook ups while trolling; also, did some sight casting at passing schools. All were undersized White Bass but did get a Yellow Bass and a 15" White Bass to put on the stringer. Today's Video.
Posted By: Slingbait

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/09/15 06:07 PM

I hit little ridge this morning. My son just got his first kayak so we broke it in on sandies at the point. I think he is now hooked on kayaking. There is a lot of dinks hitting right now, with some nice ones mixed in. I think the next few years will be good on Lavon.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/09/15 11:29 PM

Great to hear Slingbait! Fun way to fish plus get a workout in, too!

Gave it another try at Little Ridge this morning, too... multiple hook ups on the Sabiki Rig for White Bass! Undersized but the action was good with lots of fish chasing those that were already hooked!

Did get one Keeper and a Catfish that went for the Slab! Today's Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/10/15 12:39 PM

I think I saw you out there fshng84. I did notice there were lots of fish chasing the catch. I need to do a Sabiki rig next time
Posted By: Jerry Hamon

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/10/15 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Slingbait
I hit little ridge this morning. My son just got his first kayak so we broke it in on sandies at the point. I think he is now hooked on kayaking. There is a lot of dinks hitting right now, with some nice ones mixed in. I think the next few years will be good on Lavon.

What did he get?

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/10/15 04:36 PM

I think I saw you out there fshng84. I did notice there were lots of fish chasing the catch. I need to do a Sabiki rig next time

Cool, I was in the tan (SINK) Heritage Kayak. Sabiki Rig works great. Lets you use more or less crappie jigs and if you need to re-tie a dropper, it can be done quickly.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/10/15 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Jerry Hamon

What did he get?

Mariner made me a killer deal on a Malibu Sierra 10 .For what he is going to do that was the perfect layout for him.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/10/15 11:31 PM

Cool, I was in the tan (SINK) Heritage Kayak. Sabiki Rig works great. Lets you use more or less crappie jigs and if you need to re-tie a dropper, it can be done quickly.

I will keep an eye out for you next time I am over that way. I normally go to Cooper and chase Hybrids. I live close to Lavon so I think I may start hitting it more often.
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/12/15 12:09 AM

Was at Lavon this morning I posted in the bank section - community lakes and on FB but should have posted here too.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/15/15 05:15 AM

Only one Keeper but it's a good start for the weekend. Caught it using a Crappie Jig and Slab Rig. Lost the Sabiki Rig for White Bass Rig to a snag. No worries... made do with what we had and was able to get a number of undersized fish to strike. Even had one Catfish go for a Crappie Jig! Fun stuff! Today's Video

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/15/15 11:31 PM

Fished Lavonia Saturday morning... Undersized White Bass were the case save for one. Later, started working one area by jigging the rigs on the bottom; caught more undersized White Bass and several Yellow Bass.

Ended the trip with one White Bass and five Yellow Bass! Fun stuff! Today's Video.
Posted By: Double K Outdoors

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/16/15 04:03 AM

Headed to Brockdale in the morning. Hoping that I can get on some sandies from the kayak.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/17/15 07:31 PM

Hope Brockdale produced for you BankBassin! Went to Tickey Creek Sunday morning. Water was calm with minimal wind. Action was slow compared to Saturday but did get a few bites! Fun stuff with a good workout to boot!
Sunday's Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/17/15 09:10 PM

Took my kayak over to clear lake park today. Got a late start at 10am but did have an awesome day though. Always fun to take out the kayak. I paddled all the way around the island. I caught some small LMB in the area between the island and the main land. Found the sandies just off the south east point of the island, had them boiling around me, all little fish. But as I was slabbing I did get something unexpected....

Unfortunately I can't take credit for a catch since it was tail snagged..... but it did put up an awesome fight.
If I had to guess, I'd say it was between 5-7 lbs. good to know they are there though!

Thats a channel cat and 2 decent sandies I hooked today.

Here's one of the small LMB I was catching along with the small sandies and yellows in the area.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/19/15 05:33 PM

I know I'm a little late to the party on this, but I went out on sunday to Lavon in my kayak. I put in a Brockdale and fished the point and straight out from the ramp into the deeper water. The deepest I got into that I saw was 17ft. I must have caught about 40+ from 7:30-11:30. At about 11 they are started to school up big time and were blowing up the surface all over the place. I was even catching some small ones only about 20 yards from the bank. It was fun catching 2-3 at a time. No keepers though.

This guy knocked my jig off but still managed to hook himself on the clasp.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/23/15 02:27 PM

I'm looking at maybe Tuesday morning. I'm thinking to pay the $4 and launch at North Lavonia. Wind is showing to be out of the east for that day for now, we'll see if that changes.
Posted By: RobMoe

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/23/15 05:20 PM

Dang Kris. Looks like a fun day regardless of size. Don't think I've ever seen a fish caught with the clasp only.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/24/15 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: BankBassin
I know I'm a little late to the party on this, but I went out on sunday to Lavon in my kayak. I put in a Brockdale and fished the point and straight out from the ramp into the deeper water. The deepest I got into that I saw was 17ft. I must have caught about 40+ from 7:30-11:30. At about 11 they are started to school up big time and were blowing up the surface all over the place. I was even catching some small ones only about 20 yards from the bank. It was fun catching 2-3 at a time. No keepers though.

Great pics and report; they may be undersized but sure are fun to catch!
Posted By: bert

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/24/15 02:59 PM

I was there yesterday in a buddy's power boat, the island produced all our keepers some on slabs from 14-20 ft and some came on trolling bandits in 16-20 ft. We were using chrome blue and chrome citrus shad and produced more keepers trolling.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/24/15 10:58 PM

I'll hopefully be heading over to North Lavonia in the morning. Gonna try out a folding net that I bought. Should be fun.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/30/15 05:49 AM

Update from last Tuesday
Lavonia and Wednesday at Clear Lake. Had better luck at North Lavonia gladly paid the $4 to launch there. No boat traffic at the ramp and closer to where I wanted to fish as well. Was slow at first but ended up finding them in 25ft of water after the rain. Also got to try out the net I picked up for $13 at walmart. It worked great.

Caught tons of small sandies and yellow bass doubles on the tandem rig while trolling.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/30/15 02:18 PM

And finally last Wednesday I went back to Lavon this time to Clear Lake park. Planned to fish the point off the island. It was quiet for bit and then I was drifting along when a big sandie hit one of the crappie jigs on my trolling setup. After that I was catching fish on both rods at the same time, and decent size, no small fish other than one yellow bass that was decent size for a yellow. This lasted about 10-15 min. at the most and it was like they disappeared, I never found them again after that. Ended up checking some other points north of there with no luck except a yellow bass here an there. So I fished the willow trees in the cove by the ramp and caught some small LMB before I called it a day.

This was a yellow that hit a big deep diving crank.

First one to the party! Took the road runner.

I was in a hurry here as there was another fish on my other rod.

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/02/15 11:15 PM

I'm planning to be at North Lavonia in the morning to chase after some sandies again. Anyone is welcome to join if they are off work. I should be there sometime between 8:30 and 9:30.

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/04/15 11:26 AM

Made it out to Lavon yesterday launched from North Lavonia park. I saw birds working the area known as Hybrid point so I headed in that direction fast. As soon as I got close my fish finder lit up in 21fow and the action was serious! I had a rod out for trolling and it went down as I was hooking up on a slab. The action was steady for an hour lots of keeper size fish 12-14.5".... fish were boiling on the surface as far as the point to half way back to the cove, it was by far the best day I have ever experienced on Lavon or any where for that matter. It slowed down between 11:30 and 12:30 so I explored the little cove. When I paddled back out of the cove the fish were right there in 12-15 ft as soon as I paddled in to the school I was hooked up on both rods had 2 fish on my slabbing setup and one on my trolling rod and it stayed that way until I left at 2:30.... left them biting as I had things to do that day. Caught over 100 fish yeaterday.... my shoulder and elbow hate me today. I got some pics and video. I need to put the video on you tube.....and edit for my excited language roflmao

Good view of my fish finder screen from yesterday here too! It was nearly blacked out with fish streaks.

This was a nice double... couple of 13" fish.

Had a little channel cat that joined the party. Had a blue cat once too but it got off at the boat.

I had to stop taking pics after a while just too many..... I caught at least 30 keeper sized fish. But I released everything I caught. The fish were in beast mode had several rip drag off on my trolling rod when they hit and turn the kayak hard left. Caught a few that towed me a little. Had a blast and now I'm ready to go back..... when my elbow and shoulder forgive me. roflmao
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/04/15 01:05 PM

Nicely done!! I'll be there this weekend!
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/04/15 01:22 PM

That sounds like a blast. I need to get out there and get my boys on some action like that. Maybe Sunday or Monday.

I haven't been on Lavon in 25 years but live pretty close. Been wanting to put the boat on the water there. I've read "Hybrid Point" referenced several times. Where is Hybrid Point?

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/04/15 02:45 PM

Hybrid point is a nick name given to this point. If I'm not mistaken it was named by Tarponfly - Lavon fishing guide. I could be wrong though. This is the spot as I know it.

Purple dropped pin marks the point. The area along this bank running east was where I was yeaterday. 12-21ft of water was the depths I was in. Less than 10ft and I was catching a lot a small fish too deep and numbers dropped off. Good luck.

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/04/15 04:25 PM

That is certainly a great day Fisherman13. Glad to see the bigger ones are joining the party.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/04/15 05:15 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Fisherman13.

I think I'll put in at that ramp on the west end of 380 bridge and head south down the east side of the lake. I'll be in a Voyager Super Fish pontoon with a Honda 115. Hopefully I don't hit a stump! Just wanting to explore and learn a little about the lake. I'll stop and do some fishing around Hybrid Point. Hopefully we can find some surface action. The boys would love that. If I see your yak I'll holla.

Thanks again.

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/05/15 01:35 AM

Alittle slow for us.. Tried hybridpoint caught afew only 2 keepers rest smalls. Checked the island. Birds trying to work north side all bait no fish!? Finished at power plant point. Caught a few aggressive smalls. All in all kiddos caught afew. All on chartreuse slabs.

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/05/15 03:43 AM

Best time to go is early 7am to 11 am. I would launch at least at Little Ridge by the power plant, its a free ramp..... That ramp north of 380 is long ways away and there are some really thick trees and stumpsout there. I won't be out this weekend, its my weekend to work. Monday is a maybe.... might stick to the ponds that day.... just have to see.

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/06/15 02:54 AM

Mainly undersized White Bass on a Slab and Jig Rig. Later, switched to a Slab and Tube Fly Rig and caught more White Bass. Still no Keepers as well.

Caught them trolling as well as sight casting to schools. Also, worked the point off Brockdale as well as another point further up the cove near a Marina.

Fun stuff! Today's Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/07/15 08:42 PM

Here is a video I made with my cell phone inside the water proof case from my trip at Lavon. I had issues with my folding net.... not sure how or why but it was folded over the wrong way maybe my kids were messing with it, but I couldn't get it locked in the video but I still managed to keep the fish hooked and didn't loose them. I had casted my slab then I had a bite on my other rod in the holder and it came off so I casted it back out and put it in the holder. Then picked up the slabbing rod and lifted on it twice and hooked up second lift. about the same time my rod in the holder got hit. So I grabbed the net to land the first and I had serious issues. Finally I got the first fish netted.... (I used the net on it cause I didn't want a fish with a treble flopping around in the kayak). Then I got the other rod and it had 2 fish on, one dink and a 14" sandie. Music is just to cover up me talking and jabbering on its what they had on the you tube capture app.....
http://youtu.be/40gb3-92ViM

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/08/15 11:53 PM

Went Kayak Fishing for White Bass at Lake Lavon Sunday. Caught a number of undersized White Bass but we did end up with seven Keepers and two Yellow Bass. We trolled the rigs like we normally do, and then switched over to jigging over schools that were lurking off one of the points. All the Keepers were caught jigging! Fun stuff! Sunday's Video.
Posted By: Gordoeagle

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/09/15 01:56 AM

Nice meeting you out on the water Saturday. I was in the Big Rig and dragging butt after the long paddle from Lavonia. Even though they were small it was still a lot of fun.

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/09/15 03:22 AM

Went Kayak Fishing for White Bass at Lake Lavon Sunday. Caught a number of undersized White Bass but we did end up with seven Keepers and two Yellow Bass. We trolled the rigs like we normally do, and then switched over to jigging over schools that were lurking off one of the points. All the Keepers were caught jigging! Fun stuff! Sunday's Video.

Looks like a pretty good day out there! You can take a little super glue and glue you plastics onto the crappie jig head and they will stay on a lot better. I tried on one of them and it worked. I got tired of the little fish pulling it down or off. I usually cast my slab and jig rig out and jig it back to the kayak it covers water good. On my other rod I just cast it out about 10-15 ft and let it sink and then dead stick it the action of the waves jig the rig up and down for me. I been using 30lb power pro braid on everything cause it has 8lb diameter and I don't have to worry about breaking off. Its been working pretty good so far so I haven't changed a thing roflmao they seem to like road runners too I get most of my big fish on the road runner or the slab. Hoping to go again Friday! And get on some sandies again! Hoping to have some company next trip as well!

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/13/15 03:08 AM

Went Friday and it was really windy wasn't expecting the wind to be as bad as it was. Still caught some sandies though just found them near the ramp instead of hybrid point. Lots of small fish had 3 keeper sized sandies a couple of channel cats, a bass and one crappie that got off at the kayak. Heard reports from another kayaker on FB that the fish were biting better over at Little Ridge and better size as well. Planning to try over there on Thurs. morning and then also check out some other spots in the area.

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/14/15 04:28 AM

Yellow Bass for me this round. Put in at Lavonia Saturday and started out trolling Sabiki Rigged Crappie Jigs and a Slab. Had strikes soon after launching from the boat ramp. Had a fun time; did have to deal with the wind and waves but luckily the anchor helped slow the drift so we could keep fishing the "money zone" several casts before having to re-position the kayak... Fun stuff! Yesterday's Video

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/15/15 01:19 AM

Nice video!!! I didn't make it this weekend but I feel like I'm there with your reports! Well done! I should be out there Saturday afternoon weather/wind permitting with the kiddos! Yellow bass catchin machines!

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/16/16 05:16 AM

Finally made it out in the kayak. Fished the point at Brockdale Park. Birds were working the shad from above; White Bass were working the shad from below. Used a Fly Rod and a bow mounted rod holder to fish a tandem crappie jig and tube fly. Lots of fun with most bites were on the tube fly! Video of the action.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/16/16 11:41 AM

Nice I have front mounted rod holder that I use to troll with but I have found for me its easier to turn it to face the side. I use a spinning rod to troll but I have a fly rod holder as well. Never thought to troll with it cause its my only fly rod, I'd be worried about breaking it somehow. I'm not that graceful.... lol ...thats a nice way of saying it. Liked the action you were getting out there. I've been wanting to go as soon as I get home from vacation. Was gonna head over to Lavonia park and try there.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/16/16 03:22 PM

White bass are on fire right now. Main lake points.
Posted By: YakManPro

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/17/16 03:17 AM

I do really good on Sandys..
Here's are 2 key lures.
Little George, chartreuse body
Gay Blade.. get several colors, chrome works, firetiger works, and chartreuse
You can jig, troll, or burn em.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/19/16 04:40 AM

Finally made it out in the kayak. Fished the point at Brockdale Park. Birds were working the shad from above; White Bass were working the shad from below. Used a Fly Rod and a bow mounted rod holder to fish a tandem crappie jig and tube fly. Lots of fun with most bites were on the tube fly! Video of the action.

Dusted off the surfcasting gear and headed to the point at Brockdale Park on Lavon. Short on time so no kayaking. Still was able to reach out to where they were from the bank using surfcasting gear. Went with Sabiki Flies and hooked up with White Bass. But, lost the rig to a snag. Will have to tie more! Switched to Crappie Jigs, Tube Jigs, and various fishing flies. Caught more on them; lost count after 20.Only four or five were keepers, the remainder were undersized. Still lots of fun surfcasting without the surf! Today's Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/22/16 05:19 AM

Did some kayak fishing at Brockdale Park (Lavon) Saturday morning. Things started out slow but did manage three keeper White Bass and a number of undersized ones once we found the pattern. Fun stuff! Saturday's Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/23/16 05:16 AM

Made it back to the point at Brockdale Park (Lavon). Caught them mainly on Slabs and Crappie Jigs this time. Fishing partner lost her fishing pole; used a handline we keep in our life jackets for backup. Worked well for her. Lost count after 20 caught using the handline. Sunday's Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/07/16 02:56 AM

Put in at the South Ramp Sunday and fished windy conditions Managed to get four Crappie. Made a couple of videos to answer a Readers question on how the Featherlite kayak fishes... Went out this evening and managed three White Bass at Brockdale. Much calmer today compared to yesterday!

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/07/16 09:12 PM

Calm day yesterday. Managed three keeper White Bass and a number of undersized ones kayak fishing at Brockdale. Re-Post of Sunday's videos and posting Monday's action.

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/08/16 03:08 AM

Made it out again. Steady bite at the point at Brockdale. Caught three Keeper White Bass and a Yellow Bass. Video still being edited. Will post likely tomorrow.

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/09/16 04:37 AM

Fished Brockdale Park again yesterday. Three White Bass and a Yellow Bass. Caught a few trolling but most were caught jigging! Yesterday's Video.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/09/16 08:37 PM

I see you fish Brockdale Park a lot, any particular reason ? Seems like the areas off 78 would be more accessible. Just asking.

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/09/16 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
I see you fish Brockdale Park a lot, any particular reason ? Seems like the areas off 78 would be more accessible. Just asking.

No problem,... closest boat ramp from where I live. Makes for a quick trip after work or when short on time.

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/10/16 03:15 AM

Action was really good today at Brockdale. Still working on the video but here is a short clip to get an idea...

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/11/16 07:53 AM

Still working on the video from yesterday. May combine it with the fishing we do this weekend. Did put another video on a prototype fish stringer. Will see how it works this weekend!
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/11/16 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by fshng84

pretty slick. the only problem i can think of with your stringer is when the water warms up in the summer oxygen levels near the surface wont allow the stringered fish to stay alive. i cooler mine for this reason. nice setup though. should work fine winter,spring & fall cheers

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/12/16 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Fish ZoMbiE

pretty slick. the only problem i can think of with your stringer is when the water warms up in the summer oxygen levels near the surface wont allow the stringered fish to stay alive. i cooler mine for this reason. nice setup though. should work fine winter,spring & fall cheers

Thanks ZomMbieE! Did some juglining yesterday. Much easier to put on stringer and fish stayed alive. Hotter months make sense to use cooler. Do need to keep control of stringer line as it slips easily in the hand, else only modification to add is shrink tube over the wrappings. Will get a juglining video posted that shows using the stringer.

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/12/16 09:43 PM

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/13/16 01:26 AM

Action was really good today at Brockdale. Still working on the video but here is a short clip to get an idea...

Video of the action Thursday (June 9, 2016)! Bite was on with the White Bass going for the Sabiki and Slab Rig. Caught over 30+ but only five were Keepers. Did have a sixth Keeper but lost it while putting it on the stringer. Thursday's Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/13/16 02:14 AM

Still working on the video from yesterday. May combine it with the fishing we do this weekend. Did put another video on a prototype fish stringer. Will see how it works this weekend!

Field test of the prototype while jug lining Saturday; worked well except cannot fix User errors! Field Test.

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/14/16 01:37 AM

Here is a follow-up video of us juglining where we used the stringer. Jug Lining Post. Did put another stringer together using a Reader's suggestion for using Shower Curtain Clips! Really like that concept... will put a short demo video on the one we made and post later!

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/14/16 04:30 AM

Here is a follow-up video of us juglining where we used the stringer. Jug Lining Post. Did put another stringer together using a Reader's suggestion for using Shower Curtain Clips! Really like that concept... will put a short demo video on the one we made and post later!

here is the short demo...

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/19/16 12:30 AM

Put in the kayak and rigged up with a Crappie Jig and Slab Rig. Lots of wind and waves making the water visibility tough for the Water Wolf Camera. Luckily, did get a glimpse of a little gar! Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/19/16 08:06 PM

Made it to Clear Lake Park Sunday morning on Lavon. Got the annual pass and fished the area around the boat ramps and the island. Only one but did get some underwater video! Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/21/16 03:50 AM

More underwater video from a round of kayak fishing at Clear Lake Park. Still editing the video. Murky conditions make it tough to see the strikes. Caught two fish only but did see others in clips so far. Including we think is a Gaspergou... tough to tell. Picture.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/22/16 02:22 AM

Video of yesterday's kayak fishing at Clear Lake Park and pictures from today. Working on today's video still; will post when done. Did get one Keeper today! Post.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/23/16 04:01 AM

Video is done from yesterday's action at Clear Lake Park. Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/25/16 02:52 AM

Working on today's video. Fished out of Lavonia today. Was a tough go with hopes of Crappie and White Bass crushed; luckily was able to have a fun time catching Yellow Bass... Post.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/25/16 05:49 AM

Working on today's video. Fished out of Lavonia today. Was a tough go with hopes of Crappie and White Bass crushed; luckily was able to have a fun time catching Yellow Bass... Post.

Video is posted...

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/31/16 02:33 AM

Avalon Park's boat ramp is open. No day use fee either. Put in the kayak and got to test the new fish finder. Worked well! Slow action but did catch a few fish; even got into White Bass boiling on the surface! Today's Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/31/16 04:06 AM

Avalon Park's boat ramp is open. No day use fee either. Put in the kayak and got to test the new fish finder. Worked well! Slow action but did catch a few fish; even got into White Bass boiling on the surface! Today's Video.

PS: Short video of the fish finder we used today. It is the Lowrance Hook 3x DSI. Really like the down scan imaging! Also, using the dry box to mount the fish finder and hold the battery pack and excess power/transducer line worked well today! Video clip.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/01/16 02:29 PM

Made it back to Lavon yesterday; put in at Clear Lake Park. Started for Crappie but shifted to White Bass. Lots of fun! Sunday's Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/09/17 03:21 AM

Made it out today... really windy but did manage to catch a white bass, carp, and a crappie! Today's Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/10/17 03:12 AM

Made it out today again; this time set jug lines. Caught three Catfish. Working on the video. Today's Pictures.

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/10/17 07:26 PM

Made it out today again; this time set jug lines. Caught three Catfish. Working on the video. Today's Pictures.

Here is the video from the action yesterday - Sunday's Video.
Posted By: elbandito78

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/12/17 09:35 PM

Love the Lavon videos! Maybe I'll see you out there one day.

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/13/17 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: elbandito78
Love the Lavon videos! Maybe I'll see you out there one day.

Thanks! Hope to make a few more trips to Lavon this season!

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/13/17 03:18 AM

PS: A short video showing the portable fish finder mount we use in our kayak... Video Clip.

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/13/17 04:43 AM

I can't wait to chase the sand bass when start boiling in the summer time! I had a blast chasing them last year! Watching them try and kill a top water is the best! Those sandies are ruthless lol.

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/13/17 04:44 AM

That little dink must have felt tough that day.

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/14/17 01:16 AM

PS: A short video showing the portable fish finder mount we use in our kayak... Video Clip.

Used the Beer Batter Fish Fry recipe for Sunday's catch! Link.

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/17/17 09:49 PM

Made it to Lavon for more jug lining; two this round so we left the kayak at home and paddled the jon boat. Fun stuff! Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/18/17 03:17 PM

Made it to Lavon for more jug lining; two this round so we left the kayak at home and paddled the jon boat. Fun stuff! Video.

Also, sidetracked with Yellow Bass and ultralight gear ... Video.

Fished from the bank but like to fish for them from the kayak on those slow days when nothing else wants to bite!

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/20/17 02:17 AM

Nice fshng84 I live close to Tickey Creek and have had some fun down there with the fly rod for small white bass, yellow bass, and some small largemouth. Tons of shad up there around that ramp. Also caught them on 1/16ounce rooster tails but they tend to snag a little more often.

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/20/17 02:19 AM

Went out last Saturday in the kayak with a buddy. We fished a creek at Lavon and cauggt some bass and he landed a big crappie. I did hook into a monster bass on the way back out. Here is my video.
Posted By: Crlnarg

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/20/17 02:49 AM

Sweet video. Thanks for sharing.
Pm sent.

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/23/17 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Fisherman13
Nice fshng84 I live close to Tickey Creek and have had some fun down there with the fly rod for small white bass, yellow bass, and some small largemouth. Tons of shad up there around that ramp. Also caught them on 1/16ounce rooster tails but they tend to snag a little more often.

Thanks! Struck out today but was able to have fish for dinner... at Long John Silvers.

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/28/17 05:41 AM

Work and colder temps has us delayed in kayak fishing. That said, here is a short video on "What Is In Our Kayak Fishing Jacket".

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/08/17 03:25 AM

Warmer temps and minimal winds. Made it to Lavon; caught six Keeper White Bass slow trolling! Fun stuff! Today's Video.
Posted By: BPurvisJr

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/11/17 08:56 PM

I just got my first kayak over the weekend. Plan on heading out to Lavon this Saturday morning.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/12/17 06:49 AM

Ran over to Clear Lake park and fully intended to paddle to the island and bank fish for sand bass from there even took my cart and my small kayak so I could make it easier on myself. Got sidetracked on the way and started casting at some bass hitting some shad nearby. I did eventually catch a sand bass and one little yellow bass, but I was really disappointed that I lost that big bass. Glad I caught the second one. Good times at Lavon. Only had few hours to fish, good thing to cause the rain rolled in just as I was leaving.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/12/17 08:53 PM

Fisherman13... I don't think I would have set the hook with a bass loading up hard on it either. Just means that the bass didn't fully have it in it's mouth, or the hook never penetrated (which I don't think so). Don't beat yourself up to much. Thank you for sharing though.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/12/17 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: BankBassin
Fisherman13... I don't think I would have set the hook with a bass loading up hard on it either. Just means that the bass didn't fully have it in it's mouth, or the hook never penetrated (which I don't think so). Don't beat yourself up to much. Thank you for sharing though.

It was just one of those things. I'm good... sometimes the fish win lol. Was a good fish though.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/15/17 12:01 AM

Made it Clear Lake Park (Lavon) yesterday. Slow start but after finding the pattern, action stayed steady! Saturday's Video.
Posted By: Pingupenguins

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/15/17 01:50 AM

Anyone do bank fishing around these parts? Don't have a kayak yet.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/15/17 04:31 AM

Made it Clear Lake Park (Lavon) yesterday. Slow start but after finding the pattern, action stayed steady! Saturday's Video.

Great day out! I have caught a bunch of channel cats and some blue cats when after catching a few sand bass. I think they are attracted to the smell of fish on the lure after a few fish have been caught on it.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/15/17 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Pingupenguins
Anyone do bank fishing around these parts? Don't have a kayak yet.

Lots of people bank fish around the points this time of year. Clear Lake has a small pier to fish from as well. Tickey Creek is another poplular spot to fish from the bank for sand bass.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/15/17 08:07 PM

I was out at Clear Lake Saturday mornin'. Caught a couple Sands, heard they were catching some crappie off the island point.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/20/17 08:15 PM

I will be out at Lavon tomorrow early looking for bass or sand bass. I'll be in a red/orange pelican catch 120. Anyone who wants to join feel free. I'm thinking to launch at South Lavonia was planning do Little Ridge but heard it was closed for road repairs. North Lavonia is $5 I prefer to launch there usually but not feeling like paying to get in.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/22/17 06:06 PM

Tough to get to the lake lately but did make it Saturday. Only three fish but still fun! Quick Post.
Posted By: Mike903TX

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/23/17 02:42 AM

Hi there new to the forum and recently moved close to Lavon. Do any good yesterday? I've yet to get the opportunity to fish that lake. Was considering putting my canoe in this weekend but got busy .

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/23/17 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike903TX
Hi there new to the forum and recently moved close to Lavon. Do any good yesterday? I've yet to get the opportunity to fish that lake. Was considering putting my canoe in this weekend but got busy .

Sadly I had a skunk day on the main lake. I even went to a creek I usually do good at and only caught 2 little tiny baby bass. It was sad day for sure. The weather got nasty early so I had to retreat to the car while the rain, high winds, and lightning past through... it lasted nearly 2 hours. It was a crowded day on the water too. I went to a few of my usual areas and got nothing. That side of the lake is usually better for me in the deeper part of the summer. Somedays the fish win and Sunday they beat me.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/23/17 01:53 PM

What side of the lake do you live on Mike903TX?

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/23/17 05:25 PM

I live in Greenville, been across the lake a few times , it takes me about 25 minutes to get to 380 over lavon and about the same to Lavon down 78. I can be at Wind Point park on tawakoni in less than that. Unfamiliar with tawakoni too . I've fished Cooper, Pat Mayse, Fork, and Coffee Mill. I have 2 coworkers that just bought kayaks and I have a canoe, looking to check out some new places.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/23/17 10:11 PM

Tawakoni is really good for sand bass, striper, hybtids, and catfish. Its has bass but like Lavon its not well known for its bass fishing. Never fished Tawakoni though myself. Lavon is well known for crappie mostly but fishes well for catfish most of the year and sand bass can be really good but I seem to do better for sand bass in the middle part of summer. Bass can be good but they are usually along the rocks at the dam or the RR bridge. Bass can be found in other places but are more spread out and will relate to tocks and timber when available. Lavonia north is a good area to go cause its close to the RR bridge and its not a terribly far paddle to the dam. South Lavonia is an easy paddle to the dam. Clear lake park is ok but can get windy on the south side of the island. Clear lake is $5 for a day pass and so is North Lavonia. South Lavonia is free.
Little Ridge park is by the power plant and is free and also offers some good fishing spots for all species in the lake.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/23/17 11:51 PM

Tough to get to the lake lately but did make it Saturday. Only three fish but still fun! Quick Post.

Had a question from a Reader on the Slab and Jig Rig we used where we tie the Crappie Jigs on sabiki style. Made a short video describing it... Slab and Jig Rig... Sabiki Style!

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/24/17 07:21 PM

Awesome I appreciate you sharing all the information. I don't have much other than I really like Cooper lake for catfish and great public land deer and hog hunting. Last year the spillway was releasing and you could fill a cooler up with blue cats, hate that it hasn't released this year ! I've heard the sand bass fishing on Lavon can be great so definitely going to get out there sometime.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/26/17 02:24 AM

Had a question from a Reader on the Slab and Jig Rig we used where we tie the Crappie Jigs on sabiki style. Made a short video describing it... Slab and Jig Rig... Sabiki Style!

Q&A session to answer another Reader's question on what fishing rod we use when kayak fishing. Recorded Live Session.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/26/17 03:02 PM

good video! i like the sabiki video, you use that rig for trolling while you paddle?

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/27/17 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: BPurvisJr
good video! i like the sabiki video, you use that rig for trolling while you paddle?

Thanks! Yes, been to go to setup for trolling but can cast it too when the white bass start boiling on the surface.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/28/17 03:57 PM

FYI: Latest iFishNews is posted - May 28, 2017.  This round, let's go kayak fishing!

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/29/17 10:59 PM

Struck out today at Brockdale but did get a workout in and answer a Reader's question on, "How We Load our Kayak..."

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/26/17 04:21 AM

Made it to Clear Lake Park today; gotta workout in kayak fishing. No keepers but still lots of fun! Clear Lake Park.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/03/17 08:42 PM

Back to Clear Lake Park. Was a tough round but at least others in our group caught fish. Did make it out Saturday to Lavonia and Little Ridge; tstorm sidelined us for a little... Windy Day at Clear Lake.

PS: Lesson learned this outing, watch for jet skiers without side numbers. Likely they did not take the PWC Course.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/04/17 07:00 PM

Back to Clear Lake Park. Was a tough round but at least others in our group caught fish. Did make it out Saturday to Lavonia and Little Ridge; tstorm sidelined us for a little... Windy Day at Clear Lake.

PS: Lesson learned this outing, watch for jet skiers without side numbers. Likely they did not take the PWC Course.

Back again today; mojo was off but did bring the Water Wolf Camera. Hope to post video of what lurked below at a later date. Happy 4th of July! Post.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/08/17 04:09 AM

Finished the video... good to know there were other fish lurking in the area! Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/09/17 03:09 AM

Made it to Tickey Creek today and tested new jug lines; liking this design for kayak jug fishing! Post.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/09/17 08:54 PM

More testing of the jug lines plus the pvc rig for the Versabrella Shade. Liking the jug lines; fishing partner is liking the shade. Struck out but still a great time on the water. Post.

PS: Added link concerning the color of jug lines in Texas. White is no longer required.
Posted By: Palomar Knot

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/11/17 05:33 AM

@fshng84 , pretty cool stuff man! I'm glad you're keeping us posted on Lake Lavon!

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/13/17 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Palomar Knot
@fshng84 , pretty cool stuff man! I'm glad you're keeping us posted on Lake Lavon!

Thanks Palomar Knot! Sidetracked right now with work but hope to be out again this weekend!

... May be of interest to some... question from a viewer of our YouTube Channel and the kayaks we used. We post an answer...Kayak Buying Tips.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/16/17 02:27 AM

Rain delayed today's fishing but was able to get a round in after the cloud passed! Caught four Catfish only but still a great time trying out different jug line types!
Video

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/29/17 02:13 AM

Been sidetracked with fishing Texoma lately... Will get to Lavon again.
Today's Video.
Last Week's Video.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/29/17 01:43 PM

Had some good times striper kayak fishing on texoma. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/29/17 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE
Had some good times striper kayak fishing on texoma. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Fish ZoMbiE!

May be of interest to some... Latest iFishNews is posted - July 29, 2017. This one focuses on Texoma kayak fishing!

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/30/17 01:44 AM

More testing of the jug lines plus the pvc rig for the Versabrella Shade. Liking the jug lines; fishing partner is liking the shade. Struck out but still a great time on the water. Post.

PS: Added link concerning the color of jug lines in Texas. White is no longer required.

Here is an article on how we make the new jug lines... calling it the DIY Marker Buoy Jug Line since it can be used as a marker buoy and as a jug line! Post.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/30/17 11:07 PM

Today's Video.
Last Week's Video.

Still sidetracked with kayak fishing... back to Texoma; still working on the video. Will post at a later date. Today's Post.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/31/17 05:34 AM

Today's Video.
Last Week's Video.

Still sidetracked with kayak fishing... back to Texoma; still working on the video. Will post at a later date. Today's Post.

Got the video done...Video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/02/17 04:01 AM

No fishing today but did get a little ukelele tune to add to a video snippet from kayak fishing a couple weekends ago... "Ukelele and Kayak Fishing"
Posted By: hurricanecraig

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/04/17 06:33 PM

I haven't been back to Texoma since before the fire. Any concerns or problems with fishing there now?

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/17/17 01:02 AM

Almost struckout jug lining today but did get a gaspergou. Windy day made it tough as well... opted for oars and the jon boat today instead of the kayaks.Video Post.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/06/18 11:38 PM

Made it out kayak fishing last Sunday; finally got the video done. Check it out; fun time fishing for Catfish from Highland Park with the Jug Lines. Kayak Fishing and Jug Lining at Lavon...!

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/19/18 07:34 AM

Sidetracked fishing today but did get the video of last week's kayak fishing. Struck out but still a fun time, tried different techniques to get fish to bite... no luck. Did have fun testing out the new Pelican Catch 100 kayak; really like being able to stand up in it. Hope to use it fly fishing!
Out And About Kayak Fishing...

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/25/18 03:57 AM

Took the kayak out to Tickey Creek the other day for another go learning how the Pelican Catch 100 paddles... here is a Quick Review of it so far....

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/28/18 08:43 AM

Fun time on the water even when striking out... tried trolling, bottom bouncing, jigging, and casting without success. Rain came but was able to miss it. Video also shows why we like the Heritage Featherlite... easy to put in as well as load into a little pickup. Struck Out Kayak Fishing...

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/03/18 01:36 PM

Was a tough round fishing last week. Decided to take the jon boat and put out jug lines instead of the kayak. Did see several kayakers and jon boaters, too! Had to use chicken livers instead of shad; no shad by the boat ramp area. Only caught one Channel Catfish that we let go. We know the Catfish are there; just got to keep at it… plus always good to recall past trips like the one where we caught a 33″ catfish jug lining (added a snippet of that trip to the video as a reminder!) Tough Round Fishing Lavon...

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/25/18 06:37 PM

Took the Jon Boat and Kayak to Highland Park on Lavon; caught four Catfish for a fish fry! Fun stuff, using shad for bait on Jug Lines!
Another Round at Highland park.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/22/18 09:55 PM

Renewed the annual pass and fished Clear Lake Park (Lake Lavon) Saturday. Tough go for us; did hear others did well. But, dis get several fish to take bottom bouncing a slab and jig rig. Renewed the Annual Pass...

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/13/18 03:26 AM

FYI: May be of interest to some... Kayak Fishing - Bottom Bouncing Jigs...

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/30/18 03:50 AM

Fun time this past weekend but was a slow bite on Lavon for us. Still lotta fun, ready for the upcoming weekend... for now, ukuleles, thoughts of kayak fishing, and stand up longboarding to get us to the weekend! Happy Hump Day.

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/28/19 12:19 PM

First kayak fishing trip this year. Fished the local lake (Lake Lavon) on a windy day. Trolled slab and jig rigs and managed to catch a White Bass and a Yellow Bass. Kept them for a catch and cook video to show how to cook them - split them butterfly style from the back, leave the skin and scales, and marinade for a couple of hours, then pan fry till crispy. Also, did a quick demo of why we like the Zebco Rod/Reel combo we use as a backup rod when kayak fishing... it floats!
Kayak Fishing Lavon... Trolling, Zebco Rod/Reel, and Catch and Cook!

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/10/19 05:27 AM

Back to Lavon... kayak fishing for catfish using jug lines and shad for bait. Fishing partner along with our newest member of the Field Team - Charlie the Maltese Puppy had a great time, despite said puppy having a dunking this round. No worries... life jacket did well plus we caught five Catfish that made for a tasty dinner. Will plan a catch and cook video to show how we cooked them! Kayak Fishing and Jug Lines for Catfish at Lake Lavon! #juglining #kayakfishing

For more one the jug lines we used see... Kayak Jug Fishing

Posted By: janie

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/10/19 01:15 PM

Enjoy watching your vid's. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/11/19 12:50 AM

Got me excited to put some jugs out.
Those look like some good eating.
Nice job.
Thanks for the video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/11/19 01:12 PM

Thanks janie!

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/11/19 01:13 PM

Thanks Ocelot!

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/11/19 01:14 PM

First kayak fishing trip this year. Fished the local lake (Lake Lavon) on a windy day. Trolled slab and jig rigs and managed to catch a White Bass and a Yellow Bass. Kept them for a catch and cook video to show how to cook them - split them butterfly style from the back, leave the skin and scales, and marinade for a couple of hours, then pan fry till crispy. Also, did a quick demo of why we like the Zebco Rod/Reel combo we use as a backup rod when kayak fishing... it floats!
Kayak Fishing Lavon... Trolling, Zebco Rod/Reel, and Catch and Cook!

Question from a YouTube Viewer that stemmed from this post... was about fishing the tailrace at Lavon. Provided suggestions and expanded with more info on our blog.  May be of interest to some... Q&A ...fishing with spinning gear #lakelavon

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/18/19 10:53 AM

One to keep in mind for a kayak fishing backup rod... Zebco Slingshot Spinning Combo... It FLOATS! Lost a couple of rods while kayak fishing several seasons ago. Replaced them with the economical Zebco combo. Was tethering them to the kayak, then forgot one trip... went overboard, and low and behold... it floated handle up!

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/22/19 02:19 PM

Was a windy Saturday at Lake Lavon but did manage to catch three Catfish for dinner using jug lines - commercially bought as well as DIY ones. Also, caught and released a Gar. All went for fresh caught Shad caught with a cast net prior to launching.
Jug Fishing for Catfish... with a Kayak!

Normally posting a weekly video at 8PM Central Mondays, but am not certain if able. Posting this morning just in case... Check it out Jug Fishing for Catfish... with a Kayak!
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/22/19 04:35 PM

thumbWTG!

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/23/19 02:47 AM

Thanks for another good video.
Good job on the list of tips also.
You mentioned back paddling instead of anchoring when waiting for something to take the jug. Did you anchor while bringing in the fish and rebaiting?
I find if I do not anchor I can drift a good ways and frequently towards shore and end up needing to paddle out before finished getting fish off or rebaiting.

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/17/19 12:42 AM

Had a great time kayak fishing Saturday. Brought the Lowrance Hook 3x DSI depth finder to locate bait fish, structure, and changes in depth! Was the key to hooking up with White Bass, Yellow Bass, Crappie, and Catfish.

Back Paddling to bounce the slab and jig rig worked as well as casting to passing schools. Sure hope to do more in the upcoming weeks! Only 4 keeper white bass, and a dozen or so yellow bass kept for a catch and cook. Else, release the others including the Crappie and Catfish. Fun times!

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/18/19 05:50 AM

Had to replace my kitchen faucet and get some yard work done or would have been out there fishing same area Saturday.
Glad to see you got a lot of action in this area.
I am usually just trolling that area on the way somewhere else but usually manage to several fish and catch a couple "bonus" fish.
Will have to try the slab and a couple of crappie jigs possibly tipped with worms as you showed in the video.
Catching lots of fish is always fun.
Thanks for the video, makes me want to go out kayak fishing right now!

Re: Lake Lavon - 10/12/19 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ocelot
Had to replace my kitchen faucet and get some yard work done or would have been out there fishing same area Saturday.
Glad to see you got a lot of action in this area.
I am usually just trolling that area on the way somewhere else but usually manage to several fish and catch a couple "bonus" fish.
Will have to try the slab and a couple of crappie jigs possibly tipped with worms as you showed in the video.
Catching lots of fish is always fun.
Thanks for the video, makes me want to go out kayak fishing right now!

Bummer on the yard work. Chilly temps today for me; plus got yard work to do today, too. Bummer, bummer... do try bouncing the bottom. Works when they are not feeding actively and lurking down below!

Re: Lake Lavon - 10/12/19 11:48 AM

Had a great time kayak fishing Saturday. Brought the Lowrance Hook 3x DSI depth finder to locate bait fish, structure, and changes in depth! Was the key to hooking up with White Bass, Yellow Bass, Crappie, and Catfish.

Back Paddling to bounce the slab and jig rig worked as well as casting to passing schools. Sure hope to do more in the upcoming weeks! Only 4 keeper white bass, and a dozen or so yellow bass kept for a catch and cook. Else, release the others including the Crappie and Catfish. Fun times!

Here is a brief video on how we cooked the Yellow Bass we caught kayak fishing the other day. Easy method when dealing with small fish...

Step 1. Scale the fish
Step 2. Butterfly the fish by splitting from the backbone
Step 3. Clean and rinse the fish, removing guts and gills
Step 4. Soak in a Vinegar, Water, Garlic, Pepper, and Salt brine overnight
Step 5. Deep fry for about 5 minutes on high heat

That's all!

PS: Worried about the bones, no worries... other than the large spine, little bones can be eaten as is!

Re: Lake Lavon - 11/02/19 12:56 AM

Cold front rolled in and temps drop and rain rolled in. Gave it a week and things warmed and rains quit. Made a run to the lake for jug lining fun.

Three of us this round, took the Jon Boat and the Kayak. No Shad to catch with the cast net. Bought some at a bait shop, pricey but they do work well for Catfish!

Managed three Catfish and a Gar. Did get a few strikes and misses, then things slowed more. Decided to call it a trip... fun times!

Jug Lining Lake Lavon on a Saturday Morning

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/23/20 02:19 AM

[url=http://stockertroutfishing.com/first-kayak-fishing-trip-to-lavon-for-2020-kayakfishing/]... Finally able to make it out in the kayak to our local lake - Lake Lavon. Went light with one rod and the small tackle box with slabs and crappie jigs. Planned to try for crappie in the trees but no luck. Did manage one Yellow Bass on a Slab and Jig Rig and bottom bouncing it across a point. Too nice a day to be indoors, glad to get out and stretch the paddling muscles. Do plan to be back sooner than later as the temps warm!

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/25/20 04:07 PM

Kayak Fishing Lavon... Finally able to make it out in the kayak to our local lake - Lake Lavon. Went light with one rod and the small tackle box with slabs and crappie jigs. Planned to try for crappie in the trees but no luck. Did manage one Yellow Bass on a Slab and Jig Rig and bottom bouncing it across a point. Too nice a day to be indoors, glad to get out and stretch the paddling muscles. Do plan to be back sooner than later as the temps warm!

PS: Some bank fishing access noted as well as Catfish being caught in shallower areas!

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/27/20 02:44 AM

Video snippet of today's catch. Fun time fly fishing for white Bass. OPST Commando Head and coated mono running line made for easier flycasting! Do check back on YouTube Channel at COAF Field Team. Will get video posted soon as able.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/29/20 03:18 PM

Kayak Fly Fishing on Lake Lavon for White Bass! #flyfishing #kayakfishing. Posted the video of the fun time fishing Lake Lavon for White Bass on a fly rod Sunday morning. Water was glass smooth, making for an easier paddle to the fishing spot - water treatment plant's drainage system.

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/30/20 02:08 AM

Do love those days with the glassy smooth water.
Looks like you had a good morning with the white bass.
I caught a couple on a white zonker streamer while trolling the other night.
Hoping to be able to catch a few casting to them.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/01/20 01:22 PM

Was out on lavon trolling for white bass yesterday afternoon/evening and a silver spoon performed extremely well.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/01/20 05:58 PM

Was out on lavon trolling for white bass yesterday afternoon/evening and a silver spoon performed extremely well.

Nice!

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/01/20 05:59 PM

Five Tips For Fly Fishing in a Kayak #kayaking #flyfishing. From past trips, made a few adjustments to make this trip go much smoother when fishing from a kayak in a seated position. Here are five trip for fly fishing in a kayak:

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/04/20 11:41 PM

Kayak Fishing with the EmmRod #lakelavon. Able to fish the point at Brockdale Park on Lake Lavon Sunday. Was a tough go with lots of wind to deal with. No worries... White Bass and Yellow Bass were on the point.

Planned to sight cast to boiling fish with the fly rod but it turned out the fish were staying down below. Good thing we had the EmmRod and Slab and Jigs Rigs as a backup... ended with four keepers!

Fun stuff...!

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/11/20 03:47 AM

More Jugline Fishing for Catfish #lakelavon Was a tough start Saturday... windy and a little chilly, plus no shad at the boat ramp at Highland Park. Made the quick adjustment, and decided to head to calmer waters... Bratonia Park, and to the Branch Convenience Store for bait.

Plan was to try some kayak fishing trolling with the fly rod using a Denison Dam Dawber and Tube Fly. No go with the fly rod, but fun time catching Dinner on jug lines! We caught six Catfish - five Blue Catfish and one Channel Catfish, for the stringer for Dinner... Blackened Catfish and Shrimp Etouffee!

Posted By: psalty

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/11/20 06:50 AM

Hope your wife enjoyed Mom's day and thanks for the video presentation.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/12/20 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by psalty
Hope your wife enjoyed Mom's day and thanks for the video presentation.

Thanks! Was a good time for all the Mom's smile

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/12/20 03:20 AM

Had a fun time fishing with jug lines this past Saturday. Posted the video on our YouTube Channel - COAF Field Team. Here is an accompanying iFishNews Fishing Podcast to point out a few lessons learned this round iFishNews Fishing Podcast and below is the video version.

Key Take Aways:
- Have a backup plan for bait. Cooler temps and windy conditions, changed the pattern. No Shad at first. Luckily, able to pickup Nightcrawlers at a bait shop / convenience store.
- Adjust for wind, if too windy... move to calmer waters. In our case, across the cove to a leeward shoreline.
- Don't wind the jugline's line. The up and down motion resuls in a slack in the line, giving the chance for the Catfish to twist off the hook Instead, retrieve the line, keeping a steady strain on the line to keep the fish from throwing the hook.
- Circle Hooks tended to work better when the Catfish were slowly taking the bait and setting the hooks themselves. J-Hooks tended to work better when the Catfish struck hard on the first bite and then started to run. Best to have both available, and adjust as needed.
- Adjust jugline pattern starting sets shallow, deeper, and along a bottom slope and/or humps... move to the "money zone" concentrating the juglines as the Catfish tend to one of the sets.

All for now, and Good Luck and Good Fishing!

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/15/20 01:28 AM

Kayak Fly Fishing OPST Commando Head or Weight Forward Fly Line? #flyfishing.... Wind was minimal on Mother's Day, finally able to try out the OPST Commando Head sitting in a kayak placed in a grassy area. Wanted to play around with the one-handed spey fly line and compare it with the weight forward fly line... fun time, do like the OPST Commando Head because it makes a for ease of casting when the back cast is limited. Main item is to use a coated running line instead of mono running line, tangle less and unravels while still able to shoot line when needed. All for now, and Good Luck and Good Fishing!

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/15/20 02:59 AM

Always learn something from your videos
Enjoy the variety and your constant search to try new things and to determine what works out best.
Hope the wind drops soon so you can go out and catch some.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/19/20 01:02 AM

Always learn something from your videos
Enjoy the variety and your constant search to try new things and to determine what works out best.
Hope the wind drops soon so you can go out and catch some.

Thanks Ocelot!

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/19/20 01:03 AM

Video version of our iFishNews Fishing Podcast #8, where we answer the mail concerning questions on jugline fishing for catfish from one of our YouTube viewers. Hope we answered the questions; am standing by for more follow-up questions and/or clarifications. Do send comments, will plan to answer in a timely manner!

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/09/20 04:24 AM

Kayak Fishing at Lavon... #shad #kayaking

Short notice quick trip to Lake Lavon at Highland Park for a chance at catching a fish or two kayaking one of of the points.

Windy conditions and some waves to deal with, else no issues other than no fish on our hooks.

After fishing a double rig using shad for bait, switched to trolling a slab and jig rig. Neither had a bite, so headed back to the boat ramp.

Good thing we were able to catch some Shad else the trip would have been a strikeout!

No worries, one of the reasons why we like kayak fishing... if no fish, can at least get workout in!

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/10/20 05:28 PM

Add a Skeg to a Kayak, No Holes, No Glue... #velcro #pelicancatch100

Been wanting to add a skeg to the Pelican Catch 100 to make it track true when paddling. But, did not want to drill holes or apply marine glue to mount one.

Learned about Velcro Alpha Lock that comes in 1x3 inch strips. Gave it a try... mounted the skeg, and then made a tweak by adding a lanyard to "catch" the skeg in case I bump bottom and knock it of its base. Replaces the pin screws that came with the skeg.

Plan to take it out this weekend, more to come on if this workaround works!

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/11/20 09:37 PM

Fixing a Cast Net, Braille Line Repair #diy #fishing #repair

After several temp fixes to broken braille lines to the cast net, finally took the time to replace them all. Hot day but got it done! Took slightly longer... added an extra braille line on the fly when I noticed a portion of the net was drooping lower than the others!

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/13/20 10:21 PM

Kayak Fishing Lavon Gets Catfish, a Yellow Bass, and a Gar!

Had a fun time kayak fishing Lake Lavon. The repairs to the cast net made for a much easier and faster means to catch Shad for bait.

Brought jug lines to work the area of the point at Highland Park, bite started out fast, then slowed down as the temps rose.

Did manage six Catfish - 5 Blue Catfish and 1 Channel Catfish, one Yellow Bass, and a Gar. Kept the Catfish for a Beer Batter Recipe Fish Fry as well as flash frozen fish fillets for later grilling!

Release the Yellow Bass and the Gar. The Gar put up a nice fight but no POV action shots as your's truly deleted the GoPro video by accident. Still managed to capture the essence of the trip... do check it out; was a fun time!

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/14/20 01:16 AM

Looks like you had a good day.
Nice gar.
Last gar I caught broke one hook off my treble hook trying to get the hook out.
Thanks for the video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/18/20 04:53 AM

Looks like you had a good day.
Nice gar.
Last gar I caught broke one hook off my treble hook trying to get the hook out.
Thanks for the video.

Thanks Ocelot! Was a fun time. Can get tough unhooking them.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/18/20 04:54 AM

Kayak Fishing Lavon - Back Paddling Technique Gets One!

Made it to Lavon for a chance at an evening round of kayak fishing the point at Brockdale Park. Another hot day but luckily not too hot to stop us from fishing! Arrived at the boat ramp with only one other boat at the park. Quick launch and was on the lake trolling shortly after. Fished a couple of hours without a strike, then shifted to the back paddling technique where we paddle the kayak backwards, and let the slab and jig rig bounce bottom. Managed to avoid a strikeout by getting one Yellow Bass.

No worries... best thing about kayak fishing, can always get a workout in at least! Posted video of the trip, and then added past video from a trip last year that shows more details on the back paddling technique. Do check it out!

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/20/20 09:43 PM

Kayak Fishing Lavon - Backpaddling Keeps Working!#kayaking #kayakfishing #lakelavon

Here is the follow-on video of yesterday's kayak fishing trip to Lake Lavon. Bought new kayak fishing sandals from the Columbia Allen Outlet Store to replace the ones that "blew a flat" last year. Had to give them a "test drive" and take them fishing. Decided on putting in at Lavonia South Ramp. Lots of boats and jet skis but did manage to catch a nice Catfish, several Yellow Bass, and a Crappie.

All caught bottom bouncing a Slab and Jig Rig by backpaddling the kayak along a drop off near the boat ramp. Fun stuff... do stay tune for more videos and be on the lookout for the new kayak fishing sandals, our footwear of choice in the Summer!

PS: Here is the "new shoes" video!

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/21/20 08:05 PM

iFishNews Fishing Podcast #17 - What's In Our Kayak Fishing Jacket Revisited?

Posted an earlier video that shows the items we like to keep at the ready in our kayak fishing jacket.

As a follow-up, decided to grab the jacket and show the items we currently have pocketed away like... a whistle, extra line, multi-tool, etc!

Do check it out - iFishNews Fishing Podcast #17... video version.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/25/20 11:01 AM

Catching Shad for Bait... 37 Casts Later!

No kayaking this round; was focusing on getting Shad for bait. Was a tough time Thursday at Highland Park on Lake Lavon. With Charlie watching things and urging us on... was able to net enough Shad to fill a Ziploc Bag... in only 37 casts! At least it was a good workout!

Did observe windy conditions, and the water was unusually warm as if you were in a bathtub. This may have impacted the Shad and their wanting to tend to a windward shoreline. Spot we tried has been a consistent producer of Shad in the past. Caught some nice size Shad; just took a lot of strikeouts to finally get enough to fill a pint size Ziploc bag.

No worries... bait will come in handy for upcoming fishing trips!

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/28/20 12:24 AM

More Cast Net Fun!

Made it back to Lavon for more cast netting for Shad.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/30/20 01:46 AM

This round we talk about cast nets and catching bait... shad in particular. Recently, we learned we could freeze shad for use at other lakes. That said, it's has been hit or miss catching them. But, we do have a few bags ready to go for our next fishing trip.

Do check out this week's podcast where we talk about where, how, and why we cast net for bait!

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/31/20 02:11 AM

More GoFish Cam Scouting - Anyone Lose a Lure?

Took the GoFish Cam camera yesterday for another round of scouting the local pond for what is lurking below. Had some catfish strike a doughbait but forgot to turn the GoFish Cam recording on. Lesson learned... went back this morning to scout the same spots plus a drainage channel that we know holds fish.

Still have some adjustments to make with the GoFish Cam and its setup but did manage to capture the underwater action to include a bass that had a Panther Martin inline spinner in its mouth!

Do stay tuned for more as we seek out other areas to go scouting with the GoFish Cam! Hope to troll the camera like we did with the old Water Wolf Camera behind the kayak!

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/01/20 08:42 PM

Fishing Lake Lavon - Kayak Juglining Update

Went fishing at Lake Lavon. Caught three Catfish and a Gar fishing juglines. Put in at Lake Lavon's Highland Park around 8AM; bite did not start till around 10AM.

Do check back will get a video posted; able to put the GoFish Cam on one of the juglines... hopefully, will see a fish or two!

PS: The Velcro attached Skeg on the Pelican Catch 100 worked well with Shoe Goop... semi-permanent attachment!

Posted By: Klinger

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/02/20 01:55 AM

Enjoy seeing these! Can't wait to see the GoPro video.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/05/20 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Klinger
Enjoy seeing these! Can't wait to see the GoPro video.

Thanks Klinger! Unfortunately, the underwater video did not come out... need to adjust the rig, I am using. Hope to try again in the near future!

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/05/20 01:42 AM

Lake Lavon Fishing - Juglining for Catfish

Fun time at Lake Lavon fishing juglining for Catfish. Made modifications to flagging juglines to better see when a catfish struck. Put in at Lavon's Highland Park after catching shad at the boat ramp. Three of us went fishing; team managed to catch three Catfish and one Gar.

Overall, liking the modified juglines... but may need to try fishing with Circle Hooks; this round used J-Hooks and had several strikes but no hookups.

More to come!

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/10/20 01:28 AM

Lake Lavon Fishing - Kayaking and Juglining Gets Kayak PB!

Fun time juglining and kayak fishing Lake Lavon Saturday. Even caught a personal best Blue Catfish from a kayak... went 30 plus inches!

Did catch a bigger one several years ago on Lake Lavon but that was in a jon boat and with a fishing buddy. This one was caught and landed by yours truly!

Lots of fun... had to make a run to shore to land it. Lots of winds and waves and no net; did not want to risk losing it trying to land it in the kayak.

Longer than normal video... includes details on the kayak jug lines used and setting up the first group of three jug lines.

In keeping with the COAF Field Team's motto... "Learn to fish by our trials and errors"

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/06/20 04:40 AM

How To Make Jug Lines for Kayak Fishing

DIY video to answer the mail... how to make jug lines for kayak fishing. In this case, the jug lines we used to catch a nice Catfish the other day... See Link.

Have tried various jug lines including commercial and homemade diy jug lines. So far, liking this one. It does not flag but works well in windy conditions and is sensitive enough to see the strike.

Do give these a try! Easy to make jug lines!

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/06/20 08:29 PM

DIY Jug Lines worked...! Will get a video posted of the trip. Here is a Livestream update for now: See Update.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/18/20 11:41 PM

Hi there, n00by kayak angler here, first post, and recently baptized my new boat, twice in Lake Lavon and once in Lake Ray Roberts. No fish caught as yet, but no disasters and I learned a lot, so I will take that as a win.

Sincere thanks to Glen (sp?) and the COAF Field Team for the excellent and instructive videos! I live in Allen fairly close to Lake Lavon, and recently took early retirement so my the world and my kayak is truly my oyster! I have only fished Lavon from the Collin Park Marina, and no bites as yet (trying crank baits, jigs, and swim baits). Truth is I have seen a few folks fishing, and not seen many fish caught by anyone. Maybe the falling temps, or northerly airflow?

Can I ask where you folks mostly fish from/enter your kayaks into the water from?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/24/20 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Brit
Hi there, n00by kayak angler here, first post, and recently baptized my new boat, twice in Lake Lavon and once in Lake Ray Roberts. No fish caught as yet, but no disasters and I learned a lot, so I will take that as a win.

Sincere thanks to Glen (sp?) and the COAF Field Team for the excellent and instructive videos! I live in Allen fairly close to Lake Lavon, and recently took early retirement so my the world and my kayak is truly my oyster! I have only fished Lavon from the Collin Park Marina, and no bites as yet (trying crank baits, jigs, and swim baits). Truth is I have seen a few folks fishing, and not seen many fish caught by anyone. Maybe the falling temps, or northerly airflow?

Can I ask where you folks mostly fish from/enter your kayaks into the water from?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

Hi Bob -
Normally put-in at Highland Park, Tickey Creek, and Bratonia. Brockdale is hit or miss depending on Shad being in the area and boat traffic and beach crowd. Else, will go to Lavonia South (free ramp) or Little Ridge by the Power Plant, or on the south side of the Point. When I get the COE Annual Pass will go to Clear Lake, Avalon, and Lavonia North, too. Did not get one this year yet... still playing it by ear. But, it is nice as it covers the day use pass for the boat ramp a Spillway Park at Texoma. Hope this helps.

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/26/20 02:18 AM

Add a Skeg to a Kayak - Revisited

Follow-up video on our "Add a Skeg to a Kayak, No Holes, No Glue...." video. Had to make an adjustment as the velcro adhesive did not hold when the lake temps were high due to a stretch of 100 degree weather this past Summer.

Lesson learned... to resolve the situation, we added the Skeg using the velcro strips applying Shoe Goop to the strips that were placed on the kayak. It's a semi-permanent fix. But, works well... No Holes, Some Glue... but can be easily removed as desired.

Do try it out on your Kayak... in this case, the Pelican Catch 100!

Posted By: Bluecat Bob

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/27/20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Brit

Thanks in advance!

Bob

Hi Bob -
Normally put-in at Highland Park, Tickey Creek, and Bratonia. Brockdale is hit or miss depending on Shad being in the area and boat traffic and beach crowd. Else, will go to Lavonia South (free ramp) or Little Ridge by the Power Plant, or on the south side of the Point. When I get the COE Annual Pass will go to Clear Lake, Avalon, and Lavonia North, too. Did not get one this year yet... still playing it by ear. But, it is nice as it covers the day use pass for the boat ramp a Spillway Park at Texoma. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much, that is really helpful for me. I will try some of those sites this week. I broke my kayak in good and proper last week, fished Texoma by Eisenhower Park and caught some good big mouth and stripers. The fish were chasing bait on the surface - easy fishing and so much fun.

Hopefully some success in Lavon this week.

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/13/21 02:39 PM

Dusting off the kayak for a go hopefully in the next few days! That said, always good to check past videos to recall what worked. Here is one I came across where I found the pattern while kayak fishing the local lake!

YouTube Shorts version

Full video

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/15/21 11:29 AM

Kayak Fishing | How I Like to Fish for White Bass aka Sandies

Made it to the lake! Here is a video that shows how I like to fish for White Bass aka Sandies... kayak fishing! It includes trolling, backpaddling, bottom bouncing, and casting. All are effective at times especially with a Slab and Jig Rig... rigged Sabiki style Do check it out as we catch a fish or two or three!

YouTube Shorts Preview (less than 12 seconds)

Full Video

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/09/21 12:06 AM

YouTube Shorts video of one fish we did not need to measure from today's kayak fishing at Lake Lavon's Clear Lake Park! Slab and Jig Rigs and bouncing bottom keeps working!

PS... here is a snippet of the action at Lavonia South on Saturday.

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/09/21 10:45 PM

Kayak Fishing | Lake Lavon | Lavonia South Boat Ramp

Put in at Lake Lavon's Lavonia South Ramp for some kayak fishing. Plan was to catch a few fish for a soup recipe - specifically, yellow bass as well as anything else that was legal size! Went with Nightcrawlers and caught a few, then caught a few more bottom bouncing slab and jig rigs! Do check back for the soup recipe and the next day's trip kayak fishing Clear Lake Park on Lavon!

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/11/21 10:27 PM

Smorgasbord Fish Soup | Tamarind Soup Base Mix | Cook and Catch!

Tasty fish soup recipe that calls for a Filipino soup mix - Tamarind Soup Base Mix, a base ingredient list of garlic, onions, and tomatoes, and then adding hot peppers and greens like Bok Choy, Mustard Greens, or Swiss Chard, and then optional ingredients like Squash or Asian Egg Plant, and then whatever fish you caught.... or can go with meat like Pork instead! Easy, simple, and tasty! Give it a try! Worked well with what we caught Saturday!

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/13/21 10:04 PM

Kayak Fishing on Windy Day | Liking the Heritage Featherlite Kayak!
Kayak fishing on windy day on Lake Lavon, our local lake. Luckily, the trusty Heritage Featherlite handled the wind and waves well enough that I was able to catch a fish or two! Did make sure to keep my PFD on as things can turn on you without notice. Did get a lot of paddling in going to the Island's leeward side. That said, the little kayak has not let me down over the years!

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/27/21 12:31 PM

This was a fun trip...

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/06/21 09:26 PM

Fishing updates and related activities from the Team! Had a little ouch that has me slightly out of commission. That said, will continue to work on the DIY Fish Bites Gummy Gum recipe, the GoFish Cam underwater action shots, and the Tenkara rod to catch a fish or two! PS: Also, will post a few TBT YouTube Shorts to remind us that Trout Stocking Season is just around the corner!

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/09/21 01:59 AM

Here is one 2015...

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/11/21 09:22 PM

Let's go out of state and try and catch a fish we had not caught before... Saugeye in Oklahoma's Thunderbird Lake!

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/12/21 04:50 PM

More on the Oklahoma quest to catch a Saugeye! Only one but did have a fun time fishing for other fish!

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/14/21 11:16 PM

Here is a run to Texoma that was fun!

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/15/21 09:02 PM

Back to Texoma again where I kayak fish a cove on a chilly October AM...

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/16/21 07:06 PM

Back to 2008 and Brockdale Park!

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/17/21 05:43 PM

How about answering the mail on a kayak fishing question?

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/18/21 10:30 PM

How about a trip to the local lake in preps for kayak fishing the next day. Was hoping for enough Shad t be caught in cast or two... 37 casts later!

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/22/21 12:29 AM

YouTube Shorts video to answer the mail... "Is the glue flexible when cured?"

It does not appear flexible. It has held for two seasons without issue.

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/23/21 02:47 AM

YouTube Shorts video where I went kayak fishing for Striped Bass in the little Heritage Featherlite Kayak one chilly October morning on Lake Texoma. Was a fun time, caught several Striped Bass with the largest going 6 pounds!

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/24/21 01:24 AM

Go Pro Hero 5 to Phone Underwater Camera Rig

Been itching to get more underwater camera actions shots. Wanted to try a camera setup that uses the Wi-Fi connection to a mobile phone to get live action shots of what is happening underwater.

Understood the Wi-Fi connection is lost soon as the Hero 5 goes underwater. The Go Pro will keep recording but you can no longer control the Go Pro with your phone.

Found a workaround that uses cable like in Cable TV cable to maintain connectivity when the Go Pro is underwater.

Made a rig and planned to field test is soon as the hand heals but while testing the rig my sinking the camera in a bucket, learned the Wi-Fi connection stayed connected.

I did not lose connection until I was 20+ feet away from the bucket. Will have to test this in a pond. But, this is promising!

Do check back, plan to try testing the connection with and without the rig to see if the Hero 5 stays connected!

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/25/21 05:50 PM

DIY Live Underwater Video Feed | GoPro to Phone Rig | Field Test

Finally, I was able to test the DIY GoPro to Phone Rig that would allow me to control my GoPro using my phone as well as allow me to see the live video feed to my phone.

Simple rig that used PVC, COAX TV Cable, a metal extension with a GoPro mount to hold the GoPro and another mount to hold the phone.

While testing the rig in a bucket the GoPro would stay connected via Wi-Fi as far as 20 feet without the rig.

However, in the field, the camera lost the Wi-Fi connection. I needed the DIY GoPro to Phone Rig to stay connected.

The rig worked!
- I could start and stop the recording, turn it off and surprisingly... back on too!
- I watched the live video feed; no fish but it was a field test more than a fishing trip.
- And, even stay connected up to 10 plus feet away. I did not have to have the phone touching the cable.

Links are included in the description and a live stream I hosted to detail how I made it...link.

Re: Lake Lavon - 10/01/21 08:56 PM

Don't forget to add a skeg. For our Pelican Catch 100 it was a game changer. Liking the no holes required!

Re: Lake Lavon - 10/07/21 01:49 AM

This was a fun trip earlier this year...

Re: Lake Lavon - 10/07/21 02:33 PM

This was another fun trip that took us out of state... able to catch a fish we had never caught before! This took us to Oklahoma.

Re: Lake Lavon - 10/15/21 10:14 PM

Here is a video that may be of interest to some... what's in our kayak jacket?

Re: Lake Lavon - 10/21/21 02:12 PM

Old video but still applies today; took the opportunity to detail how we load our kayak at the request of a reader.

Re: Lake Lavon - 11/05/21 03:08 PM

Keep this one in mind when planning to fish slab and jig rigs...

Re: Lake Lavon - 11/25/21 02:18 PM

Updated our website - StockerTroutFishing.com check it out at. New look as 2022 approaches!
[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon - 12/15/21 05:30 PM

YouTube Shorts video of Charlie the Maltese Doggy out and about fishing with us in the old jon boat at the local lake!

Re: Lake Lavon - 12/17/21 06:12 PM

YouTube Shorts video of a #TBT to Charlie the Maltese Puppy back then on his first kayaking trip, or maybe swimming trip!

Posted By: JohnBo74

Re: Lake Lavon - 12/18/21 05:51 AM

Old video but still applies today; took the opportunity to detail how we load our kayak at the request of a reader.

I know its a older post but do you have a video that shows how to make that Go Pro holder?

Re: Lake Lavon - 01/01/22 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by JohnBo74

I know its a older post but do you have a video that shows how to make that Go Pro holder?

I don't have a video. It's simple though; a spring clamp with a nut and bolt that fits the camera mount.

Re: Lake Lavon - 01/01/22 12:41 AM

Closed Out 2021 Kayak Fishing Lake Texoma | One Striper, Two Carp or Buffalo? | GoFish CAM

Warm temps had us setting out the kayaks for a go at the Striped Bass at Lake Texoma. Our Texoma Licences were good till 12/31/21 and the Annual COE Permit was good to go till August 2022.

Foggy trip up the road from Allen but things cleared and we put in at East Burns Run with the plan to dead drift flukes and shad for the Striped Bass.

Water was chilly, wind was not too bad at all, and waves were not an issue. The only issue we had were no Stripers.

Not wanting to closeout 2021 on a strikeout headed to Denison Dam to fish the tailrace. Fishing Buddy hooked up with one Striped Bass and yours truly although did not catch a fish, did get some video footage of what was lurking below.

What a difference a day makes,... or in this case months. Earlier in the year, we fished Denison Dam and put in the GoFish Cam. There were fish everywhere... this round, saw two fish only - looked like Carp or Buffalo?

Here's to 2022 and more fishing fun and more "Learn to Fish by our Trials and Errors"!

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Re: Lake Lavon - 02/02/22 11:44 PM

Here is a post a new website (Fishing-Hacks.com) we are working on... it's the first of many more to come we hope!

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/08/22 10:21 PM

Are Your Juglines Legal in Texas? #shorts

Making preparations for kayak fishing and juglining. Had to fix my juglines to make them legal in Texas. Rules require juglines to be at least 3" wide and 6" long. Good to go now!

While at it, replaced the Name and Address Label with a Customer ID Label. Liking it much better than the old rules!

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/17/22 03:53 PM

Yesterday, we struck out at Denison Dam but mentioned kayak fishing and juglining as a backup plan. Did well... with Catfish caught. Dinner Shrimp Etouffee over rice and Blackened Catfish!

Tasty! Will get a trip video out later this week; do check back!

Re: Lake Lavon - 04/18/22 10:25 PM

First Kayak Fishing Trip for 2022 | Jug Lining for Catfish on Lake Lavon

Finally made it out to the local lake for kayak fishing. Opted for jug lines and Catfish fishing.

Had to make a few modification to the jug lines per the Texas Fishing Regulations.

Also, had to read the new rules for Catfish on Lavon. Different compared to past Season!

Do check out the video!

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/20/22 06:43 PM

Little snippet of one White Bass caught kayak fishing last weekend!

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/22/22 10:00 PM

Trolling Slab and Jig Rigs worked for White Bass!

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/11/22 11:26 AM

Took the Jon Boat out last weekend. Suzuki 2.5hp Outboard is working well on the 12ft Jon Boat. Plus, the PVC tool continues to make life easier when securing the clamp on seats to the boat, and the DIY side numbers are holding much better than the store bought ones! Overall, Charlie the Maltese Doggy approves! πŸΆπŸΆπŸΆπŸ‘

Plan to take the kayak out next round; let's see how hot it gets today!

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/12/22 12:06 AM

Fished Lavon today. Caught two White Bass and a little Catfish. Working on the video. Will post sonnest. Here is one from the past Memorial Day Holiday. Canyon Lake...

Tried a new place over the Memorial Day Weekend. Kayaking instead of fly fishing. Was a hot day.

First time kayak fishing Canyon Lake. Water was crystal clear and weather was sunny and hot. Only caught two little fish but did get a good workout in!

Did see some Baby Buzzards feeding on a dead carp. May have been a sign to try fishing another time.

LOL!

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/13/22 12:01 PM

Headed to the local lake for kayak fishing Saturday morning. Heat Advisory in effect, so we were not sure if the fish would be biting.

Plan was to either bottom bounce a slab and jig rig or troll it for whatever bites. Else, would get a workout in paddling to and from the boat ramp.

Managed two White Bass - one on a yellow Slab and one on a Crappie Jig. Also, had a little Channel Catfish strike a Crappie Jig bottom bounced.

Not sure how we plan to cook the two White Bass, but will post a video. Do check back!

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/14/22 11:12 AM

Here is the follow-on catch and cook video to our "Kayak Fishing for Whatever Bites" video! Simple recipe that calls for Garlic Salt and Black Pepper! Do give it a try!

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/19/22 07:21 PM

Tough go at our local lake yesterday. Struck out at Clear Lake Park on Lake Lavon. At least got a great workout! Later, fished Highland Park. Had a few hits on Shad. Even had one on the line but did not keep it... had a lesion that I was wary about.

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/16/22 10:47 PM

This round I take the kayak to the local lake to catch a Catfish or two using jug lines! Bite was steady with five Blue Catfish caught. Largest went 20" in length!

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/09/22 07:32 PM

TBT to last year kayak fishing at Thunderbird Lake in Oklahoma. Needed bait. ended up catching and releasing a nice size Bass!

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/30/22 12:56 PM

Windy day, tried trolling but had mixed results. Tried bottom bouncing Slab and Jig Rigs. Worked much better! See full video at COAF Field Team.
Posted By: Gilly1991

Re: Lake Lavon - 09/01/22 03:37 PM

Headed out Monday to chase some bass around if anyone would like to join. I am hoping these slightly cooler nights and little bit of rain has them moving!

Re: Lake Lavon - 02/15/23 08:57 PM

Warm weather approaches, try kayak fishing. Get one that is easy to load. Will use it more!

Re: Lake Lavon - 02/16/23 02:41 PM

Fun time trolling for Stripers with the kayak!

Re: Lake Lavon - 02/17/23 03:13 PM

Preparing for warm weather and kayak fishing!

Re: Lake Lavon - 03/02/23 03:23 AM

Check Out My Portable Fish Finder Rig! Works well from kayak to kayak as well as my Jon Boat!

Re: Lake Lavon - 03/17/23 02:05 AM

More often than not this technique has produced fish when kayak fishing! Give it a try!

Re: Lake Lavon - 03/19/23 02:04 PM

Warmer weather approaches, possible doubles and triples await. Try some kayak fishing!

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/09/23 05:17 PM

Had a great time fishing the local lake. First kayak fishing trip this Season. Windy and a slow bite but still managed to catch Dinner! #kayaking #kayakfishing #fishing

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/11/23 12:34 AM

Two Tips to Stay Safe When Anchoring a Kayak! 😎 #kayak #fishing #tips

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/13/23 12:19 PM

Here is a follow-up post on the two tips to stay safe when anchoring. This one shows the Anchor Buoy I use.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Lavon - 05/14/23 11:36 PM

Neat thread! thumb

Re: Lake Lavon - 06/23/23 12:24 PM

Are your juglines legal? Here are some checks to keep in your back pocket next time you go out fishing for Catfish. #fishing #tips #catfish

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/16/23 11:47 PM

Went kayak fishing yesterday. Took juglines and baited with Shad. Caught catfish plus had this guy to deal with, too!

What's Lurking Below? #kayakfishing #kayak #fishing

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/18/23 03:00 AM

Let's Make Some Juglines #GoPro Mobile #Fishing #Livestream

Livestream where I demo making floating juglines for Catfish fishing!

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/18/23 02:13 PM

Fished the local lake for Catfish using jug lines and fishing from my kayak! Checkout the action... edited for ease of viewing!

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/20/23 09:43 PM

Another fishing updates episode of the Out and About Fishing Series.

This round it's about jug lines and jug line fishing things!

Jug Lines and More #fishing #live #livestream

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/25/23 12:15 AM

We accepted the challenge of catching our dinner. But, the Fishing Gods had other ideas!
#kayakfishing #fishing #challenge

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/26/23 01:53 AM

Been tinkering with juglines for several seasons trying to make a self-setting jugline that would be faster and easier to deploy especially when kayaking. Here is a prototype I plan to test. Do check back! #catfish #fishing #tips

Re: Lake Lavon - 07/29/23 10:53 PM

Here is how I made the line holder or line stop that I use to set juglines.

Easy to set and redeploy as they are deployed like a marker buoy... drop it and go. Give them a try, they work!

Simple DIY Fishing Hack That Works! 😎 #fishing #catfish #tips

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/04/23 01:49 PM

If your jugline goes under but pops up immediately, it's likely a two pounder plus. If it disappears and you need to chase it down, that's a big one!

How Do You Know If It's a Big Catfish πŸ€” #kayakfishing #catfish #juglining

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/05/23 05:39 PM

Field Test Was a Success - Self-Setting Juglines Worked!

Been brainstorming ways to deploy juglines faster as well as relocate them as needed. Current juglines have taken a little too long to initially set them out as well as painful to pick them up and move them to another "better" location, especially when the bite is slow where you set them at the beginning of the day.

That said, this idea came to me one evening. And, after a quick bucket test in the backyard, I felt my brainstorming paid off! Check out the video for more!

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/07/23 09:36 PM

How about this tip that uses laundry pins from a fisherman's view?

Stop Losing Fish, Try Laundry Pins, Paracord, Tennis Ball, and a D-Clip #fishing #fishingtips #tips

Re: Lake Lavon - 08/17/23 03:07 PM

Went kayak fishing at the local lake. Slow bite but did not see strike out using Slab and Jigs Rigs bounced on bottom!

Try Kayak Fishing Using Slab and Jig Rigs #kayaking #fishing #fun

Re: Lake Lavon - 10/02/23 03:19 AM

Fshng84,
Yesterday had a couple cats on my stringer and when I got back to shore and went to take the stringer off, the main chain had broken above the water line. Very surprised. One thing I liked was the clips had a metal piece which would slide down over where you closed clip so it would not come open. Do your laundry pins have this feature?

Thanks for the video, very timely. I like what you are suggesting, Have lost fish in past because of the clip unfastening when have a larger cat on it.

Re: Lake Lavon - 10/02/23 04:44 AM

Here is a picture of the clips I was talking about:
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-champs-choice-chain-fish-stringer
Never had one of these clips open up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum