Texas Fishing Forum

Newbie needs help

Posted By: texas_bow_hunter

Newbie needs help - 08/18/22 10:15 PM

I just purchased a Lifetime Tioga fishing kayak. I'm trying to see what the safety requirements are other than the PFD. I've tried looking online, but the information gets shuffled in with power boat requirements. Any information would be appreciated.

Attached picture IMG_6548.jpg
Posted By: texas-rig

Re: Newbie needs help - 08/19/22 02:13 AM

Welcome to the Plastic Navy! I am by far not an expert but here are the items I carry and/or do for safety. Take your yak empty to a boat ramp or in a pool where you are in shoulder deep water and flip it, dressed like you plan on kayaking. Then practice how to get back in just in case you ever have an accident on the water. I believe a life vest and whistle are all thats required. I've never had a game warden check me, but here's my list of safety stuff.

Whistle attached to PFD https://www.mariner-sails.com/sea-dog-whistle-life-jacket.html

Knife (personally i carry a dive knife)

A orange flag with Light on it https://www.mariner-sails.com/yak-attack-visipole-ii-light-mast-floating-base-in.html

leash for paddle

ziplock bag or these for all thing you want dry https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089QJWZ4X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hand bilage pump

extra rope or paracord

if you go offshore VHF radio

I keep a small dry bag in my hull with water weld (putty to patch a hole), 1st aid kit, sunscreen, extra hat, leatherman, and towel.

Re: Newbie needs help - 08/19/22 04:46 PM

Thanks for the input. I've got the whistle and PFD is on order. I've got paracord in my hunting stuff. I may use it in the bay, but not offshore. Don't want to be shark bait. grin I'm looking forward to getting it out.
Posted By: Zedteamk2

Re: Newbie needs help - 08/21/22 08:38 PM

Is water weld similar to JB weld? but for plastic?. If so , that's a very hand thing to have around on a kayak
Posted By: texas-rig

Re: Newbie needs help - 08/21/22 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Zedteamk2
Is water weld similar to JB weld? but for plastic?. If so , that's a very hand thing to have around on a kayak

Its actually made by JB weld $5-8 for a tube. I also have nitrile gloves in the ziplock back incase I ever have to use it, it wont get on my rods when I continue fishing. Personally haven't had to use it. I was told about it and added a stick to my emergency bag.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Newbie needs help - 08/22/22 09:56 PM

Along with what's listed above, I keep a roll of duct tape in my hull. I have had to use it as a temporary patch and to temp fix a paddle.

First Aid kit. ALWAYS handy to have in the hull or a dry bag.

Learn how to pull a hook from your body. LOL, not a matter of if, but when it happens. When you're in a yak, you have hooks all around you. Add a fish to the mix and then you have flying hooks. I have done this 3 times. 2 from the hand and buddy took one from my back.

Winter time: Dry bag with extra clothes. If you dump in the Winter and not close to your vehicle, you want the chance to at least get some dry clothes on. This could save your life.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Newbie needs help - 08/23/22 11:27 PM

Having something to pee in can be considered safety gear and is often overlooked by traditional boaters.

In the inevitable event that you need to pee, you will need to paddle to the shore or have a bottle... if you try to pee off the side, you run the risk of flipping your kayak.
Posted By: DillonCan'tFish

Re: Newbie needs help - 08/24/22 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mike@972
Having something to pee in can be considered safety gear and is often overlooked by traditional boaters.

In the inevitable event that you need to pee, you will need to paddle to the shore or have a bottle... if you try to pee off the side, you run the risk of flipping your kayak.

I never considered how hard taking a leak would be when I first started in a kayak. I can stand up fine just can't turn sideways. The first time I tried it, I had to pull a scupper to wash the bottom out. After that fiasco, I realized that the giant hole for the pedal drive couldn't be in a better spot to pee through. roflmao
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Newbie needs help - 08/24/22 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by DillonCan'tFish
Originally Posted by Mike@972

I never considered how hard taking a leak would be when I first started in a kayak. I can stand up fine just can't turn sideways. The first time I tried it, I had to pull a scupper to wash the bottom out. After that fiasco, I realized that the giant hole for the pedal drive couldn't be in a better spot to pee through. roflmao

A sand bottle golfers use for filling divots works well.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Newbie needs help - 08/24/22 10:57 PM

I always thought that most kayak makers put a round hatch in front of the seat, so you can stow a plastic mayo jar on a string to pee in? I do. IslandJim
Posted By: Snottynose

Re: Newbie needs help - 08/24/22 11:54 PM

Taking a whiz is not the problem in a kayak if you catch my drift...ploop,ploop roflmao
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Newbie needs help - 08/25/22 01:39 AM

In the winter time make sure you get a set of waders or dry suit with a fly... pulliing chest waders down far enough to take a leak is asking for all kinds of trouble.

Re: Newbie needs help - 08/25/22 02:26 PM

So what it sounds like to me is, unfortunately, all kayak fishermen sit down to pee... roflmao

Re: Newbie needs help - 08/25/22 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Snottynose
Taking a whiz is not the problem in a kayak if you catch my drift...ploop,ploop roflmao

Idk if it would work or be a total "sheet show", but the pedal drive hole on the Native might be a good option for that too. Just make sure you spray off the bottom of the hull...
Posted By: OR2TX

Re: Newbie needs help - 08/26/22 04:34 PM

Throwable rope
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Newbie needs help - 08/27/22 05:20 PM

One thing to consider if you fish alone in the winter: It’s often windy. Your dry bag with your dry coveralls, beach towel, and fire-starting materials is in the kayak. If you get dumped in a strong wind, the kayak takes off like a sail. You just lost all of that. I know that a lot of kakakers will tell you “NEVER attach yourself to the boat!” I clip a carabiner bungee to my PFD and the boat in the winter. I consider succumbing to cold, rough water without the boat a bigger risk than drowning because I got tangled in a bungee, or a paddle leash, or a rod leash. But some “experts” are aghast at the thought. You make up your own mind. But I’ve paddled a few passes alone in the winter with a strong outgoing tide running against a strong incoming wind when that bungee was mighty comforting. And make sure you’re capable of a deep water reentry with your winter clothing and PFD on.

Re: Newbie needs help - 09/03/22 10:17 PM

Thanks for all the info. I never thought this would turn into a discussion about bodily functions. roflmao
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Newbie needs help - 09/05/22 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by texas_bow_hunter
Thanks for all the info. I never thought this would turn into a discussion about bodily functions. roflmao

welcome to TFF
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum