Texas Fishing Forum

Summer Gloves

Posted By: Patriot7Six

Summer Gloves - 04/22/22 06:25 PM

I need a new pair of summer gloves for the yak, what do you recommend?
Posted By: Clay34

Re: Summer Gloves - 04/22/22 08:47 PM

I've used several different kinds. Always thought that the Simms gloves were it, but have used several gloves. The Glacier Glove is popular here. One of the guys that I subscribe to his news letter has a discount code on these: Code: BILLS40 for 40% off and included shipping. He won't mind me sharing. I've also used the Grease Monkey fishing gloves. They carry those at Wally World at a great price and they are a nice product.

Instead of which brand, I just likes gloves vs no gloves. I also need those that have UV protection included.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Summer Gloves - 04/22/22 10:22 PM

why do you want gloves in the summer?
Posted By: gander

Re: Summer Gloves - 04/23/22 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by butch sanders
Sun exposure would be my guess ..After working outside for 30+ years I have some concerns about sun exposure on every exposed area. I would probably just go with fingerless gloves just to protect the backs of my hand.
Posted By: porta

Re: Summer Gloves - 04/23/22 05:37 PM

I use summer rubber gloves to protect the back of my hands from the Blazing Summer Sun, without chemical sunscreens, and to help with fishing hooks and the Slime and Sharp fins/ teeth/ barbs of some species of fish.

I use the heavier thickness rubber gloves similar to those found at Home Depot normally used for refinishing and for chemical protection. Mine are in light reflective colors to stay cool for summer, two sizes larger than what I normally wear so that they fit loosely for no sweat ventilation, when the very finger tips are cut off. They don't retain the fish smell as much as fabric gloves and can be rinsed as needed in the surrounding river water, they dry quickly after repeated dunkings. I don't do any paddling with them, as I use other methods of propulsion. Easy on and off, Price is Right, last quite a while, no washing required. Fingertips can be used to change lures with gloves on.

Dorky, but works for me, definitely not for everyone, haha!

Re: Summer Gloves - 04/23/22 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by gander
Sun exposure would be my guess ..After working outside for 30+ years I have some concerns about sun exposure on every exposed area. I would probably just go with fingerless gloves just to protect the backs of my hand.

well
thats a good point
i am right there with you
what is your profession ?

thanks
Posted By: gander

Re: Summer Gloves - 04/24/22 08:50 PM

well
thats a good point

thanks
I did facility maintenance and repair for SWBT, SBC and ATT. Basically lineman work, climbed poles ladders and worked in the underground..
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Summer Gloves - 04/24/22 09:22 PM

These work pretty good for me, good wet & dry grip, finger length easily shortened if needed. Scuba Chris recommended these too in one of his videos, me thinks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FCV6NDD?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_593NV24RE2VEHAKW15RB

Re: Summer Gloves - 04/25/22 04:39 PM

Exactly, the less sun that hits my body when I'm on the water the better.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Summer Gloves - 04/25/22 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Patriot7Six

Exactly, the less sun that hits my body when I'm on the water the better.

I should wear gloves in the summer but I've gotten away from that. It just drives me nuts having wet hands half the time I'm on the water and I can't seem to go through a day without getting a hook stuck in a glove at least once. I've bought several pair from Amazon. All have finger tips exposed and I can't tell much of a difference between any of them. If you're paddling in a lot of wind which makes me grip the paddle harder the ones with the padded palms come in handy for that.
Posted By: David Newton

Re: Summer Gloves - 04/29/22 07:44 AM

I like the Rockfish wrist length fingerless gloves from Academy.

Re: Summer Gloves - 04/29/22 05:43 PM

well
thats a good point

thanks
I did facility maintenance and repair for SWBT, SBC and ATT. Basically lineman work, climbed poles ladders and worked in the underground..

nice
Posted By: trapperben

Re: Summer Gloves - 04/30/22 09:05 PM

Looking for some, bit late had two biopsies one on each hand last week plus several she froze. Sun protectio is good even when the damage is already done.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Summer Gloves - 05/01/22 05:06 PM

I've been wearing the Buff sun gloves forever.. at least 20+ years.. closest thing I've found that feels like not wearing gloves. You won't wear them out from paddling, I promise. Usually you'll lose one and have to buy another pair. The best thing about them is when you've bought the second pair, you'll have three gloves and you can turn one inside out and wear it on whichever hand you've lost the second time around! Guaranteed as thin as they are, the sun wont get through.

https://www.buffusa.com/shop-buff/g...shing%20gloves&utm_content=Gloves_xx

Re: Summer Gloves - 05/02/22 02:05 AM

Update... in the market for another pair. Just sucked one into the car wash vacuum cleaner.. now I remember it wasn't the first time that has happened.

Re: Summer Gloves - 05/26/22 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by lconn4
Update... in the market for another pair. Just sucked one into the car wash vacuum cleaner.. now I remember it wasn't the first time that has happened.

roflmao

Those look nice, I'm going to get a pair.

Re: Summer Gloves - 05/30/22 09:45 PM

For those looking for a hat... this one works great. Reading this thread reminded me how much I like this thing. Didn't know who made it but have had it a few years and its been through the washer many times and still looks like new. Keeps more sun off than any hat I've ever used ... especially when sun is reflecting off the water. Really well made and adjustable.

https://sundayafternoons.com/collections/mens/products/sun-guide-cap

Re: Summer Gloves - 06/07/22 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by lconn4
For those looking for a hat... this one works great. Reading this thread reminded me how much I like this thing. Didn't know who made it but have had it a few years and its been through the washer many times and still looks like new. Keeps more sun off than any hat I've ever used ... especially when sun is reflecting off the water. Really well made and adjustable.

https://sundayafternoons.com/collections/mens/products/sun-guide-cap

Nice, I'd rather wear something like that than a buff that covers my face. I hate having my face covered.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Summer Gloves - 06/07/22 06:50 PM

I used to have a hat like that many years ago. Did a good job at keeping the sun off my neck. Didn't keep sun off my face though. I don't like wearing a buff either but I pull it down off my face about half the time. That combined with Neutrogena sunscreen (best I've tried yet at not burning my eyes) has been working pretty well.

Re: Summer Gloves - 06/08/22 04:58 AM

I have to have something covering my ears... that sun will fry them up like porks skins.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum