Texas Fishing Forum

Below PK

Posted By: RealBigReel

Below PK - 04/20/22 11:14 PM

Went up to fish below PK dam. Flow looked decent. There were several people camped right there below the bridge. They had a fire going. They had a 3 day trip to Rochelle's planed.
Backed my kayak trailer down to the water by the HWY 16 bridge, but there was so much wind I thought inadvisable to put forth. Walked up stream about a 1/4 mile and fished the pool above the bridge in a spot where I have caught White Bass in the past. Did not get a bite. The guy across from me caught something small on live bait, I think. Then I drove up to the dam. There was not another fisherman to be seen. Took several cast without success. Gathered a huge wad of mono and braid and left. On my way south down HWY 16 I usually stop at the What-A-Burger. It is no longer a What-A-Burger. It is a country restaurant. Got a slice of pizza for lunch and a drink for 7+ bucks.
There were 3 Fisheries biologist that showed up about the time I was leaving. The confirmed what I knew about the Stripers. Stripers had been wiped out below the dam last winter. They said they weren't that many White Bass in there. (I have limited out in the past.)
Posted By: Patriot7Six

Re: Below PK - 04/22/22 06:26 PM

Hate to hear that, those we're always fun to fish for down there.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Below PK - 04/22/22 10:23 PM

thats bad news
Posted By: HERROUTDOORS

Re: Below PK - 08/24/22 03:50 AM

The largemouth fishing is still great.

Re: Below PK - 08/29/22 11:16 PM

you could have had The River to yourself today
i was there for work
Posted By: texasflycaster

Re: Below PK - 09/15/22 03:17 AM

Very good reporting!
Posted By: Todd13

Re: Below PK - 10/31/22 03:11 PM

What will the timeline for them to reestablish themselves?

And what caused them to be wiped out? Cold weather and the shallow water?

I was hoping to go in December...

And as for kayak fishing, is it worth bringing my yak and fishing that 'lake' above the bridge?

Re: Below PK - 10/31/22 04:39 PM

yes on kayak
there are bass everywhere
Posted By: Todd13

Re: Below PK - 10/31/22 04:45 PM

thanks, much.
Originally Posted by butch sanders
yes on kayak
there are bass everywhere
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum