Texas Fishing Forum

Rec's on kayak for dropping shark bait:

Posted By: Swing4Steel

Rec's on kayak for dropping shark bait: - 04/04/22 01:37 PM

Looking for some recommendations on kayak's for dropping heavy bait for sharks along the Texas Coast.

Does not need to be fancy, or all that comfortable. This is about 200-300 yard paddles, and back in. Don't need any hatches, and honestly would prefer not to have anything to trap water. Not an overalls experienced kayaker, but, most has been in larger water, mid-sized to large surf waves.

Won't be fishing out of it, really just a transportation option. I understand you get what you pay for, but struggling to justify +$600 for it, (unless I am way wrong and just need to bite the bullet If I want to be successful in the big shark game).

Have read quite a bit on the Ocean Kayak models. The Frenzy seems to be the most effective for larger waves. Of course, you can't find them anywhere and their price tag is up there. Coming up empty on the craigslist/FacePage Marketplace searches.

The width of around 31-33" seems appropriate given my size, (6'2, 245lbs) but can't find much on the depth. I see some models in that 13 to 16-inch range. The pelican models, (Challenger Angler 100-Pelican) seems to have a decent spec and price...but again, am I going to get dumped often in even small surf?

Physical weight isn't a huge issue, as ill be able to slide it in and out of the truck, (maybe 40 to 50lbs?)

Anyone have any other brands/models to consider? Experiences to share?

IN the DFW area, so my next stop when able is a place like Mariner Sales, or West Marine.

Thanks all.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Rec's on kayak for dropping shark bait: - 04/04/22 09:06 PM

Find a good used one on FB marketplace (only thing FB is good for) You can find slightly dinged up higher end boats for 1/2 the msrp.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Rec's on kayak for dropping shark bait: - 04/06/22 12:58 AM

Most of the guys I have ever fished with loved the ocean kayaks frenzy or the scrambler. Both are great little yaks. I have a scrambler and love it.

Re: Rec's on kayak for dropping shark bait: - 04/06/22 01:03 AM

You won't get dumped if you don't go. Part of the adventure is coming back in and wiping out with no gear on bord. It's fun. Fact is, if you don't live on or at coastal waters you will get dumped. I have been paddling 40 years and still get dumped. Nothing to worry about. When you drop baits, drop hook first then your weight. Lots of pressure pulling a bait out. It can hook ya quick and a 20/0 won't feel good to dig out.

Re: Rec's on kayak for dropping shark bait: - 04/06/22 01:06 AM

Also, once you get a kayak you will want to troll around the surf for Jack's and rays.
Posted By: Swing4Steel

Re: Rec's on kayak for dropping shark bait: - 04/19/22 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by christian myrick
You won't get dumped if you don't go. Part of the adventure is coming back in and wiping out with no gear on bord. It's fun. Fact is, if you don't live on or at coastal waters you will get dumped. I have been paddling 40 years and still get dumped. Nothing to worry about. When you drop baits, drop hook first then your weight. Lots of pressure pulling a bait out. It can hook ya quick and a 20/0 won't feel good to dig out.

I like that motto...thanks for the response!

I'll have to check out the scrambler...
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Rec's on kayak for dropping shark bait: - 04/19/22 11:57 PM

Christian's response is huge
i agree about
"If you don't live there"

i fish lakes & rivers
a coastal angler will not get dumped
but
it is different than the coast
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum