Texas Fishing Forum

Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV!

Posted By: Mudshark

Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/23/22 05:12 PM

Just couldn’t pass up this price. I have never had side image before and I can’t wait!

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garmin-echomap-uhd-73sv-fish-finderchartplotter-combo
Posted By: Wylie Jeff

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/23/22 09:37 PM

Congrats Mud. I’ve been eyeballing the Garmin and Humminbird side scan. Prices are about right now to buy.
Posted By: Jezreel

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/24/22 02:26 PM

I will be putting a Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA Side Imaging Unit in the classifieds later today. Comes with Yak Attack Track mount for the unit. Look at the Yakker’s Classifieds later today.

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/24/22 05:25 PM

To late for me. Just got back from Cabelas with a new 73sv also.
Posted By: David Newton

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/24/22 07:05 PM

I'm happy with my 73sv, although I don't know any better. Did yours come with the GT54 or GT56 transducer?

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/24/22 07:46 PM

Good question and I haven’t looked yet. Cabelas website says 54.

Just checked- GT54

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/24/22 10:08 PM

If Bass Pro staff are to be trusted, last year's model came with the GT54. New models are coming with the GT56 giving you a bit of extra bandwidth. I also have the GT54. Not saying the new one is better just hope you gota good deal.

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/24/22 11:03 PM

For a kayak, I think the 54 ducer will work out just fine

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/25/22 02:43 AM

Just did a little research on the delta between 54 and 56. The 56 provides better resolution out past 60-70 ft on the side scan. At least that’s what the dude said on the YouTube… juggle

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/25/22 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wylie Jeff
Just did a little research on the delta between 54 and 56. The 56 provides better resolution out past 60-70 ft on the side scan. At least that’s what the dude said on the YouTube… juggle

My hope is to locate structure. Drop a waypoint. Go look at it on down scan. No doubt, the 56 is better, but if I can just locate a pile I would have otherwise missed without side scan, I feel like I have improved my odds.

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/25/22 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mudshark

My hope is to locate structure. Drop a waypoint. Go look at it on down scan. No doubt, the 56 is better, but if I can just locate a pile I would have otherwise missed without side scan, I feel like I have improved my odds.

Mud you definitely improved your odds. I ran a Bird 898 side scan for years and it was a huge difference maker for crappie fishing. The hard part is getting your focus off the screen, it can be mesmerizing. fish

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/26/22 02:46 AM

It was supposed to be here today. Now they say Monday frown
Posted By: The Tacklesmith

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/26/22 01:16 PM

I have mounted several of the Garmin ECHOMAP UHD 73sv Fish Finder/Chartplotter Combos lately.
Very easy install and nice unit.

I've had to modify the mounts to get it to tuck up nice in the hull on under mounts.
No problem when installing on yak Attack side mount.

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/26/22 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Tacklesmith
I have mounted several of the Garmin ECHOMAP UHD 73sv Fish Finder/Chartplotter Combos lately.

I've had to modify the mounts to get it to tuck up nice in the hull on under mounts.

Please share tips, tricks, mods to mount through scupper hole. Navarrekayak.com appears to have a solution for it. I reached out to them-Nick. No response yet. I’m trying to avoid using the switchblade product. It will be in the way of rods and anchor trolley’s on my Big Rig.

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/31/22 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by The Tacklesmith

Please share tips, tricks, mods to mount through scupper hole. Navarrekayak.com appears to have a solution for it. I reached out to them-Nick. No response yet. I’m trying to avoid using the switchblade product. It will be in the way of rods and anchor trolley’s on my Big Rig.

I mounted my transducer in the scupper hole. I used a schedule 40 gray sprinkler riser/nipple for the shaft through the hole. Cut a groove in the threads on the one side letting the pipe mount to the stock bracket. On the top side I used a pvc cap. That's it for mounting. I glued a length of 1/2 inch landscaping tubing down one of the grooves on the bottom and ran my cable through. Cable enters at the rear through a pass through and runs inside to the gunwale (gunnel?) where I installed a 12 pin CNLINKO panel mount bayonet connector. Of course this entails cutting your cable. Then the stock 12 pin connector to the matching 12 pin CNLINKO plug. Custom install, custom lengths, very modular.

I can take some pictures tomorrow evening if you like.

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/31/22 10:04 AM

Thanks for the details David. I went ahead and ordered the Garmin scupper mount kit from Navarre Kayak fishing. Installing today after my Yakattack head mount kit arrives.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/31/22 01:41 PM

thumb
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 03/31/22 04:20 PM

one of these days I'm going to step up to side imaging... just dreading all the changes in the way I do things now. cheers

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 04/02/22 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by lconn4
one of these days I'm going to step up to side imaging... just dreading all the changes in the way I do things now. cheers

I got to take my new rig out last night for about an hour to do a test run. Got back home before the sun went down to do some modifications. My initial impressions are very positive. What I found in my short run that was the most impressive was seeing the bluegill nests in places I never expected them. My next run will be more productive and I will be able to chart better pictures for review, I found a much better way to mount the transducer on my rig that will be so much better after I got home.
Posted By: Jonathan_Zambrano

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73SV! - 04/05/22 03:07 PM

I have that graph and it is great, however I usually end up just looking at the water temp and depth! LOL Primarily fish for the bassfish, I need to really get better at reading it and I am sure it will be a great tool!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum