Texas Fishing Forum

Hobie Outback Question

Posted By: AvidOutdoors7

Hobie Outback Question - 06/27/21 12:59 AM

Is there enough room on the bow to mount a trolling motor up there? maybe with one of the quick release plates? interested in a 2020 outback but really want a bow mounted trolling motor. I was leaning toward the PA because of this, but found a decent deal on an outback so was wondering.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 06/27/21 01:35 AM

In my opinion, no. However, you can modify Water Snake trolling motor and mount it through the cassette plug... There are a lot of YouTube instructional videos on how to do this.

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 06/27/21 02:42 AM

Yeah, I've seen. bunch of YouTube videos with the ones that go through the cassette plug and transom mounted, Im just really looking for a bow mount option. I saw one picture online on google images of a guy who did it but wasn't sure how, and that's the only one I've seen which makes me think its either super hard, or not possible lol. Thanks for the input! if there's not a good bow mount option ill stick to looking for a PA
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 06/27/21 10:49 AM

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 06/28/21 12:05 AM

Ah! That looks like quite a bit of work, but doable if I had to. I hate that there are no mounts for one like there are for the PA with the oneobjective mounts.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 06/28/21 11:33 PM

The 2020 Outback doesn't perform well with a bunch of weight on the bow. The older models do but not the newer models. I used to put a fish bag on the bow with 10 lbs of ice and a couple frozen ice blocks. After a limit of reds it was clear that was too much weight. If this is the route you want to go I'd recommend a PA14 no question

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 06/29/21 04:07 AM

Thanks Jerry! Good to know the outbacks can't handle the weight! definitely looks like the PA should be what I'm looking for
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 06/29/21 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by AvidOutdoors7
Is there enough room on the bow to mount a trolling motor up there? maybe with one of the quick release plates? interested in a 2020 outback but really want a bow mounted trolling motor. I was leaning toward the PA because of this, but found a decent deal on an outback so was wondering.

I'm switching to a PA14 from my 2020 Outback for this exact reason. I want spotlock and run LiveScope also.

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 06/29/21 11:39 PM

Same thing I'm wanting! Do y'all think PA 12 or 14 would be suitable, or stick with the 14?
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 06/30/21 12:35 PM

Same thing I'm wanting! Do y'all think PA 12 or 14 would be suitable, or stick with the 14?

The PA14 all the way.

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 06/30/21 05:18 PM

Gotcha! Thank y'all!

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 07/02/21 11:33 AM

Yes 14. It's actually a little faster than the Outback at least before you put a TM on the bow lol. I would plan on getting a trailer too. Lugging around a PA14 either on a cart or with Boonedox with a TM on the front will be heavy. You could take it off to move it but a trailer would help prevent that.

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 07/02/21 11:50 PM

Ive got one more question lol! Im a fairly young/fit guy so I'm not terribly worried about moving it around quite yet, I was however planning on getting the bonnedox, until I saw the max weight capacity for it being 180lbs. Ill end up having quite a bit of weight on the yak.. Troll motor, troll motor battery, another battery for electronics (all lithium to save weight), plus my actual gear. I feel like the PA14 would be right there pushing the weight limit, and the 12 may be safer simply for that reason? I plan on getting the beach wheels for it to help with all the little bumps on the ramp not jolting the plastic as much.

also, Ive been seeing PA14's for sale with the old style boonedox with no cracking yet. If I were to get one of those would it be possible to upgrade the backing plate to the newer 9" version?

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 07/03/21 04:20 AM

Ive got one more question lol! Im a fairly young/fit guy so I'm not terribly worried about moving it around quite yet, I was however planning on getting the bonnedox, until I saw the max weight capacity for it being 180lbs. Ill end up having quite a bit of weight on the yak.. Troll motor, troll motor battery, another battery for electronics (all lithium to save weight), plus my actual gear. I feel like the PA14 would be right there pushing the weight limit, and the 12 may be safer simply for that reason? I plan on getting the beach wheels for it to help with all the little bumps on the ramp not jolting the plastic as much.

also, Ive been seeing PA14's for sale with the old style boonedox with no cracking yet. If I were to get one of those would it be possible to upgrade the backing plate to the newer 9" version?

I installed the old-style Boonedox on my 2017 PA and it had a large backing plate. At the time, the larger backing plate was only recommended for camo PA's (I think)...so it's possible that you find one with the smaller plate.

If you purchase an older PA with a small backing plate, im sure you can still order a large backplate from Boonedox (or Mariner Sails) and install it without drilling new holes in the kayak.

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 07/03/21 04:31 AM

OP - If you end up installing the new Groovy Landing Gear, see below for an alternate wheel stowage option. I prefer this over stowing them as designed.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...vy-landing-gear-install-tip#Post13447917

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 07/03/21 05:00 AM

Thank you! With that being said I just pulled the trigger on a 14! Picking it up Sunday. Also good to know about stowing, I would assume if the wheels didn't rest on the bars as you mentioned it would also create a small, but constant pressure on the mount/hull as well, Ill have to try that out!

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 07/03/21 01:56 PM

For me there's two main reasons Boonedox will crack a kayak hull. One is getting the bolts too tight. If you have someone do the installation chances are they are going to overtightened the bolts it's just human nature. When bolts are too tight the stainless steel backing plate creates excessive pressure on the inside of the hull. Tighten the bolts snug and use blue loctite. And two the use the landing gear on rough terrain or over bumpy asphalt. Make sure you don't pull the kayak over a curb, over pot holes or rough terrain and you'll be fine.

As for the weight I've had my PA14 loaded with roughly 50 lbs of gear in the rear tank well including a fish bag with 20 lbs of ice and fish and never had issues with Boonedox. A lot of your excess weight will be on the front so I don't think that will be an issue. Check with Boonedox and see what they say.

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 07/03/21 03:06 PM

I think you are spot on Jerry. A third possible reason for cracks is incorrect hole placement. The bolts need to screw into the backplate with little to no contact with the top rail. Meaning, If the holes are off by 1/8" (which could be only 1/16" on each hole), the bolts will bind against the plastic top rail and create a stress point(s). For this reason, I drilled as precisely as possible and then reamed the holes out a little larger than necessary. I reamed them a little front to back (not side to side) and created a bit of an oval.

As to rough terrain... Jimbo once made a great recommendation if you ever find yourself needing to traverse relatively rough terrain. You can put a rachet strap under the kayak and attach it to each side of the landing gear. This will transfer some of the weight to the belly of the kayak. I have not tried this yet, but I absolutely will if I ever have have a section of rough ground between me and the water.

Re: Hobie Outback Question - 07/04/21 12:27 AM

Thanks for the input! that eases my mind a bit about it!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum