Texas Fishing Forum

Slayer 12.5 max

Posted By: TonyLama89

Slayer 12.5 max - 06/05/21 11:12 PM

Anyone tried one of these out or own one? Sold my kayak a year ago and been regretting it ever since and been looking into get a pedal driven system this time but these get expensive quick!! Any input is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Slayer 12.5 max - 06/06/21 02:12 PM

I have not. I fished with a guy that had just bought one a couple years ago when they first came out. He went from a Slayer 13 propel to the max and loved it. They're heavy tanks. You'll need a trailer, a quality cart or landing gear.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Slayer 12.5 max - 06/06/21 07:38 PM

I got a 10 slayer,I'm a boat guy but I've owned a pro angler and I like the pedal drive alot more than hobies.i can throw it like a rag doll too its light.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Slayer 12.5 max - 06/06/21 09:43 PM

I have a slayer 13 propel and for fishing, you cannot beat it IMO. Hands free all the time and while it is heavy, it moves pretty fast on the water. You do not need a trailer. I have landing gear and pick it up in the back of the truck with no issues. A ramp is best for it but you do not need it. I hope this helps.

Re: Slayer 12.5 max - 06/06/21 10:28 PM

Ok thanks guys been looking at it and the outback but like the shape of the slayer. Gonna have to try and test them out or even find one used for sale.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Slayer 12.5 max - 06/07/21 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by TonyLama89
Ok thanks guys been looking at it and the outback but like the shape of the slayer. Gonna have to try and test them out or even find one used for sale.

The instant reverse of the Slayer is a nice feature. However, the kick-up fins on the Outback are a more nice feature in my opinion.

If you always fish deepish water, the kick-up fins are less of a value. However, if you like to get into the thick stuff, the kick-up fins are really attractive.

I notice that you are very near Buck Creek. If this will be one of your main fishing areas, the kick-up fins will prove helpful. While this area is deepish, it's full of standing timber and laydowns.

If this is a consideration, the resale on the Outbacks is really good.

Lastly... While similar, the drive motions are different. The Slayer is a circular motion and the Hobie is a back and forth motion. This is a matter of preference for folks.

Both are good platforms. Im sure you will be pleased with either choice!
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Slayer 12.5 max - 06/07/21 11:30 PM

Each drive system has its pros and cons.

Re: Slayer 12.5 max - 06/08/21 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by iluvfishin
Each drive system has its pros and cons.

Agreed. This is what I attempted to articulate...

In short, each has pros and cons that are best measured in the water that we are likely to encounter (and preferred species). Budget aside, these associated pros and cons should be the decision-makers (more so than short-term availability) in my humble opinion.

Re: Slayer 12.5 max - 06/08/21 02:17 PM

Well I bought an outback unfortunately it doesnt have the kick up fins but I will make it work… hopefully

Re: Slayer 12.5 max - 06/08/21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by TonyLama89
Well I bought an outback unfortunately it doesnt have the kick up fins but I will make it work… hopefully

You will love it. The Outback is a great kayak. If you like to tinker on stuff, here is a way to maximize your storage. https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/14023454/two-outback-mods#Post14023454

My son's Outback does not have kick-up fins (nor did my previous PA). If you get into the thick stuff, you will bend the rods from time to time. Most of the time you can bend them back into basic shape while on the water... just be careful that you do not damage the drive when doing so.

I would bend them back while on the water to get through the day and then take them off and "tune" them when I got home. The bars are really rigid... it takes a bench vise to get them perfectly straight. They bend very near the threaded end which is difficult to straighten without damaging the threads. I would clamp the rod in the vise right at the bend and put a couple of nuts on the threads. I would then tap the nuts with a hammer to fine-tune. Take it out, roll it on the bench, mark any imperfections with a sharpie, and repeat. If you take your time, you can tap them 99% straight and reinstall.

I kept a spare set of rods in my PA just in case I needed to swap out a rod while on the water. It only takes about 5 minutes to swap out a rod.

If you do this enough, you will learn to be more careful in the thick stuff. LOL.

Honestly, I only had to do straighten my rods a few times... mostly when I was new to the kayak. Over time, I learned my lesson and learned to instinctively tuck the fins while in the thick stuff. You can flutter and then hold them tight against the bottom as you drift over a laydown.

Im am quite certain that you will enjoy the Outback, it's a great kayak.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum