Texas Fishing Forum

Help needed buying a used kayak with trolling motor

Posted By: Bassman_78

Help needed buying a used kayak with trolling motor - 05/15/21 06:55 PM

I have a few questions about buying a used kayak with a trolling motor.

*What is needed for me to transfer ownership to myself? Bill of sale, title, etc?

*If the registration is expired, will I, myself, be able to renew registration after purchasing with the correct documents?

*Will I be taxed on the sales price of the kayak with the Bill of sale?
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Help needed buying a used kayak with trolling motor - 05/15/21 11:00 PM

The answers to your questions would best be provided by the authority with whom you will be conducting the transaction: your local TPWD office, or your local county tax assessor / collector’s office. Give them a call.....
Posted By: texas-rig

Re: Help needed buying a used kayak with trolling motor - 05/16/21 01:15 AM

Bassman_78,

Make sure you get the title signed over to you, a bill of sell, and the registration card art the time of purchase. You also need a PWD 143 form fill out and signed by the seller and yourself. I'm attaching it below. If the seller tells you that a bill of sell is all you need, Walk away. I know this from first hand experience and wanting to believe a dishonest seller. As for the tax I dont know the answer on a used kayak purchase, My best guess us yes if you register it you will need to pay tax on the purchase price.

Boat transfer form PWD 143 form: https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdforms/media/pwd_143_a0900_vessel_boat_application.pdf
Posted By: Bassman_78

Re: Help needed buying a used kayak with trolling motor - 05/16/21 06:37 PM

Awesome! Thank you Texas-Rig
Posted By: texas-rig

Re: Help needed buying a used kayak with trolling motor - 05/16/21 10:04 PM

Your welcome, best of luck with the yak purchase
Posted By: hadite81

Re: Help needed buying a used kayak with trolling motor - 05/17/21 04:18 PM

Yes, you will pay tax on the purchase price. If you buy a kayak that was previously registered for a motor, you will need items stated above as well. DO NOT BUY if seller tells you Bill of sale is all you need.!!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum