Texas Fishing Forum

3-20-21 LAKE SOMERVILLE (((SPRING BREAK - REPORT)))

Posted By: Yakety_Yak

3-20-21 LAKE SOMERVILLE (((SPRING BREAK - REPORT))) - 04/25/21 05:11 AM

Okay folks, another report coming at ya from your good ole buddy, Yakety_Yak. My apologies for taking so long to get this out. My wife and I have been searching for our first ever new home and we finally found it! A few weeks ago we closed and I now have my boat storage moved into the garage. I'm glad about that because it freed up a lot of money each month (more fishing money, lol). However, all the house hunting and closing stuff going on has made it tough for putting out reports.

I'm going to do something different this go around and make my report short for once. I know, I know..... ya'll didn't think this was possible but it is, lol. On this day my brother and I launched right at sun rise from Big Creek Marina boat launch. We headed around the corner to the bait shop area where all the fishermen on boats go to catch crappie. There were around 7 - 10 boats there if not more. My brother and I agreed that we probably shouldn't fish there because it was packed and nobody was catching anything as we passed by. The morning started cold but warmed up nicely throughout the day to the upper 60s. The water temperature was pushing almost to 60 degrees, if my memory serves me right. The winds were nonexistent most of the day. I think the most the wind got up to was 5 mph at one point. The sun was out all day and no rain. It was an excellent day to fish!

Long story short, my brother and I did pretty well with the hybrid stripers and some white bass was thrown in the mix. It was an excellent day of fishing. The choice baits for the day that was most effective was the KVD crankbaits. If anyone cares to know more on this, please don't hesitate to PM me or post below on this thread. I can go and look up the info on the lure and let ya know if needed. I just don't recall which one it is at the moment without looking in my tackle box.

My brother and I sight casted some for fish but most of it was trolling. We trolled from Big Creek all the way around the camp ground and on over to Welch Park. From there we locked in some spots for crappie for the next time. There was some pretty good brush piles that we marked. Hopefully there will be crappie on them the next time we go out there.

Here are some pics of our trip with a short video clip of one of my catches for the day. The smallest hybrid was 24". Everything else was larger. Not a bad day of fishing at all!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As you can see in the next pick, there were so many boats fishing on top of the brush piles. Nobody was catching any crappie.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is the video I mentioned:

https://vimeo.com/541174652

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for checking out my report. I hope you guys enjoyed it. Good luck on your next fishing trip and tight lines!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum