Texas Fishing Forum

New to kayak fishing and fishing with lures.

Posted By: Tazral

New to kayak fishing and fishing with lures. - 04/20/21 12:28 PM

Hey guys, i've been talking about fishing out of a kayak for years and I finally bit the bullet and bought one. I have a Bonafide SS127 that's been used a grand total of 3 times and in each of those instances i've caught zero fish but had an awesome time. I've been fishing my whole life but generally with a giant spinning rod and some bait. I've caught random bass on lures from time to time and love that style of fishing, but essentially i'm trying to learn to fish from a kayak and fish with lures on a baitfcaster (new to that as well lol) at the same time. I'm from the Austin area, and would just like some info on where you guys kayak fish and what types of baits you might use.. I also sneak down to the coast around the Corpus area as well because I love both fresh and saltwater. I also have no one to fish with and am looking for some fishing buddies as well I promise i'm not an axe murderer. I'm a dispatcher with Travis County and generally fish on Saturdays or Sundays.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: New to kayak fishing and fishing with lures. - 04/20/21 01:24 PM

welcome Take plenty of pictures and post em up on your trips out.. lots of new folks asking the same question. cheers
Posted By: CarlB

Re: New to kayak fishing and fishing with lures. - 04/20/21 03:22 PM

I fish on Sundays in my inflatable kayak, though not for much longer. I don't go fishing once the cool mornings are done.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: New to kayak fishing and fishing with lures. - 04/20/21 08:00 PM

Welcome to kayak fishing! Its great.

I am in the Dallas area or would be glad to meet up and show you some stuff. New to yakking and bass fishing with lures huh... Keep it simple.

Make sure you have a good PFD and wear it at all times. Dont overload your yak at first. Start with one or two rods and handful of baits. Couple of crankbaits, some brush hogs and a few worms, a topwater and you will be in business for 90% of the situations.

I knew an old timer who taught me how to bass fish in Texas (not the same as where I am from... not even close) but he would throw a jig, a rattle trap and a chug bug. Never carried anything else. He swore that had you covered. In winter he MIGHT throw in a jerk bait. But serious that was it. And he was VERY successful!

Lots of info, I mean A LIFETIME of info on how to bass fish is on You Tube. Tactical Bassin is a good channel without too much BS. Every kid from 12 to 30 with a Go Pro who has caught a 3lber thinks he is a Youtube fishing pro. As a result there is a lot of junk out there... but also TONS of great stuff.

Yeah man, welcome again. Take your time in learning. Its A LOT of fun to be in the water on a yak even if your not catching...catching is better but still. Kayaking is so cool, I hear some people do it for the sake of it!? Like they are not even fishing. Just like being on the water and paddling along, taking in the outdoors.

cheers
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: New to kayak fishing and fishing with lures. - 04/20/21 09:48 PM

i like the Ol' timers lure selection
i would switch the jig to an H&H Spinner
Posted By: Strat-a-Caster

Re: New to kayak fishing and fishing with lures. - 04/20/21 10:02 PM

With lure fishing being new for you here is a video I made simply explaining the lures in my tackle box. It include the names, and underwater demos to show you the action of the lure. Can help you better understand what the lures look like in action. Should help you in determining what lures are what and what they do in the water.

Posted By: Tazral

Re: New to kayak fishing and fishing with lures. - 04/21/21 03:24 AM

Thank you guys for the welcomes and the info. I've spent a bit of money on some lures and some rods already. Wanted to be semi prepared lol. I do have a pfd and wear it religiously. I don't move or swim as well as I did when I was a bit younger so i'm being extra careful. I'm checking out video as well Strat-a-Caster I appreciate you linking it, and taking the time to make it for us newer folks.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: New to kayak fishing and fishing with lures. - 04/21/21 02:32 PM

Safety first, always wear a PFD

Start simple, with minimal gear--this time of year--take just one rod and three 1/2oz rattle traps.

Moving baits are easiest to fish from a kayak; that's where I'd start---rattle traps, crankbaits, spinner baits, chatterbaits, etc.

Posted By: porta

Re: New to kayak fishing and fishing with lures. - 04/21/21 02:56 PM

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/13944472/new-to-kayaking#Post13944472
Posted By: clinton_c

Re: New to kayak fishing and fishing with lures. - 04/21/21 03:44 PM

I learned how to worm fish a Texas rig when I was growing up and still throw that 70-80% of time with either a baby brush hog or some other creature style bait and just regular worm. Its hard to beat on a consistent basis. Spinnner baits are easy to, throw and retrieve. Don't get took overwhelmed with all the different color selections at first. Keep your plastics close to natural colors and white spinner baits. That should get ya going.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum