Texas Fishing Forum

Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat.

Posted By: soje

Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat. - 03/02/21 09:56 PM

I have an Old Town Predator PDL that fell off a trailer and got real torn up. The bows is bent a little bit, it has some holes or tears on the bottom, and some road rash on top. I sold the pedal unit, and rudder. I was thinking that I might be able to repair the holes, but I think it’s going to be in sane amount of work to do if it’s even possible. The only thing I can think of doing with it is cutting it into strips and giving it to people that need material for repairs. Right now you can only buy the material and little thin rods. Anyone have ideas of what I might try to do with this boat? I’d love to hear any ideas. If someone thinks I can repair the tears, I can post pics to see what y’all think.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat. - 03/02/21 10:51 PM

Plastic can be welded and I know some have had success but to do much more than fill a few small holes imo is risky. I have been far away from help and sank a kayak once. Even with a pfd I got nervous. I am a bit of a sissy in water...is the cost of really getting the correct tooling to do the job successfully is prob costly.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat. - 03/03/21 07:18 PM

Soje hate to hear this. Sounds like it is damaged beyond repair. Selling the hatches, rod holders, etc. might be more trouble than it's worth. You might check with kayak shops in your area. They may want something like this to practice on especially when training new employees on installing rivets and such.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat. - 03/04/21 01:04 PM

Post a pic... I had my first kayak fly off rack at 60 mph, and hit on nose into pavement. Bottom worn thin but have patched it up and used it for 10 more years. roflmao

[Linked Image]
Thanks for reminder. I’ve had it on back porch for the last month to redo, again, with JB Weld... a lot of it. It’s a pain but have total trust in it when finished.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat. - 03/04/21 02:46 PM

Patch it with Flex Tape and post a video on YouTube. The video will be worth more than the kayak.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat. - 03/04/21 04:13 PM

Hey Soje, post some pics from inside the hull as well if you can. It sure makes things easier if you have access to damage areas from both outside and inside the hull.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat. - 03/04/21 07:15 PM

Sorry to hear that man. What did you get for the pedal drive? I have the same rig and that would hella break my heart.

Re: Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat. - 03/09/21 05:02 PM

I didn't actually sell the drive. I bought the boat from a guy I met online. He wanted to sell the whole rig, then another guy said he wanted the pedal drive and rudder parts. so I got the boat for a really good deal. I was just trying to keep the details simple, because I know people want those drives,

Re: Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat. - 03/09/21 05:02 PM

The yak is hard to get to, but I'll try to get some good pics soon. Thank everyone.
Posted By: Budlitego

Re: Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat. - 03/12/21 07:29 PM

Google Epoxy! Your Welcome!
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat. - 03/13/21 07:26 PM

Save it for the next snow storm, and use it for a sled,
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat. - 03/14/21 01:25 PM

Don't give up so easily!
There are tons of product out there that can fix plastic!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat. - 03/15/21 11:00 PM

First step is to thoroughly clean, degrease, and then lightly sand the areas of injury with 400 grit. Then, wipe down with isopropyl
Then In order of most effective to less effective
1. Plastic welding with HDPE. HDPE Plastic bucket with a bucket lid is $3.50 at Walmart.
Watch some YouTube videos on kayak plastic welding. Heat gun and soldering iron.
I have also seen another technique of making a big pot of melted HDPE and then molding it over the injured areas—this is trickier and more toxic—would wear a respirator.

2. G-Flex epoxy—expensive; but it’s the very best epoxy for HDPE

3. Melt and bond PVC—watch YouTube videos on PVC keel guard

4. JB Water Weld—amazing stuff; will have to repatch once a year or so.

5. 3M 5200

What I would do ( not knowing the color of your kayak or the size of the injuries)—
HDPE plastic weld on the outside, then 3M 5200 coat on the inside—spread it with a Bondo putty knife. Let it cure for a week, then JB water weld patch on the inside over the top of the fully cured 3M 5200

Re: Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat. - 03/15/21 11:03 PM

Then wait until water temps above 75 degrees and leak test and always wear a PFD

Re: Need ideas one what to do with wrecked boat. - 03/15/21 11:07 PM

Videos of wire mesh patch, then HDPE welding into and on top of the wire mesh.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum